Suggestions: Upgrading processor on old P2B-F

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Hello,

I have an old Asus P2B-F motherboard with a P2 233mhz w/ MMX Slot 1 processor (I know, a dinosaur). A few months back I got a new rig (P4 2.533, Asus P4PE, 512MB DDR2700, Radeon 9700, 21' monitor) but am looking to upgrade my dinosaur. What is the fastest processor I can get for this system that is compatible with the board? The documentation says it will handle up to a P3 450-600+, but what is the cap? 700? 800? 1.0GHZ? I want to keep the system stable, so I am not looking to overclock the FSB over 100mhz. Any suggestions on what processor I should stick in this ancient thing would be appreciated!

Joshua

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus has no idea what CPU's that board supports. Basically the early revisions of the board supported only 1.80v core or higher, while later revisions supported 1.30v or higher. The BIOS info used to say which revision you needed for "Coppermine" CPU's, which were 1.65v-1.75v.

If you have the later version, you can run nearly anything, all the way up to the Celeron 1.4GHz Tualatin, using the inexpensive Upgradeware Slot-T adapter. Otherwise, you can still use the Ceeleron 1.4GHz Tualatin, but you will need the more expensive Powerleap IP3/t adapter.

Also, various versions of your board supported bus speeds of up to 133MHz or less, you should find all the documentation.

More information can be found in the first post of THIS forum!

Oh, and a final note! You need the latest "beta" BIOS for CPU's with a multiplier of greater than 10x. Asus released this BIOS late last year!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>