Please Rate and Review my Rig!!!

ch0sen

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Hey all,

I just wanna say thanks in advance for any and all input... I've never owned a computer my entire life, but i know everything about them.... except hardware... but after finally saving some cash.. i am going to build myself a nice a$$-kicking rig.

I'm really trying to get the most out of one ultimate rig without killing my savings... i'm trying for a high end gaming rig/ graphics (web, 3D redering[not models], video) workstation that will also handle my mp3 hoarding, cd burning, tv watching and regular day to day, word processing, web surfing, gaming etc...

I've done alot of researching on the hardware. But i am still not sure if these are the best parts. I'd really appreciate input on what i have spec'd out.. particulary in terms of performance, stability, compatibility with the above goals in mind... Also if i am missing any parts or the parts are not compatible please if you would write some advice for me on better parts and configurations.

ANTEC Performance PLUSVIEW LE (Limited Edition) Model PLUSVIEW1000AMG LE - with Side Window Snap-On Fan

Allied 400W Power Supply ATX400P4 w/ Two Fans

Thermaltake SMART CASE FAN II

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 DELUXE Retail

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB w/ heatsink & fan, i am not planning to overclock

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 512MB(2 x 256MB) 2x(32MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.Retail

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB -

ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK

TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD

LITE-ON 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S/XJ-HD165H 16X DVD ROM Drive

*BLACK* PANASONIC 1.44 MB DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, MODEL # JU-256A-198P

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

FYI - I really dont want to go out on a great sound system yet. So I'm just going with the integreated sound card with Plantronics DSP-500 headphones.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Looks really sexy, I cant find anything I would improve

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
one thing i would suggest considering ... replace the cdrw drive with a dvd burner drive. I believe there are some out there now for around $200. I personally have the sony dru model, which i like, although it was closer to $300 last time i looked. It does both cdrw, as well as dvd -r/rw and +r/rw. You could even do away with the other dvd drive as well to bring the cost down a little.

StevenBlunt

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Ch0sen,
I am sure that you've spec'd all this out at NewEgg - how much does all this add up to? It looks pretty darn good - in fact I was looking at getting pretty much those same internals to upgrade my system.
Steve

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Just a warning with the memory you've chosen. For some reason, the Low Latency Corsair memory may not work very well with the Springdale and Canterwood chipsets. You might want to get the C2 memory instead of the LL memory from Corsair. There is plenty to read about this problem over on the Corsair Micro website on the boards.