Printing from a notebook on a wlan to a printer on lan.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.

Yes it works for me!
I have a laptop that is wireless to the lan and a computer that has a
shared printer. It prints all the time just fine no problems. You MUST
have a setting messed up.
Remove EVERYTHING to do with that printer from the laptop, reboot,
then cd in hand add a network printer, point it to the printer you
want to use and then use the cd as needed. Some printers will not
require the cd, some will, depends on the model of the printer and
version of Windows you are using.
Oh, I vary from static IP address to DHCP depending on how the AP is
feeling today.
Also remember you will going thru hoops to print, it WILL NOT be fast!
Maybe part of the problem when it gets "jammed" is that you are not
giving it enough time to do its job. Sometimes a minute or two can
pass before it gets thru, especially if the printer is already busy
with another job. Just ideas, not judgements.

Tom wrote:

> Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
> our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
> laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
> work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
> seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
> and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.

Yes it's possible if you set-up the host machine to do File and Print
Sharing correctly, like tell the host machine to share the printer on the
network. It makes no difference wired or wireless on how MS Windows
networking works.

Google is your friend

Duane :)

On 7 Sep 2004 04:29:29 -0700, zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:

>Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
>our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
>laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
>work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
>seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
>and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.

FWIW - spend somewhere between $25-40 for a TCP/IP Print Server which
plugs directly into the printer port and accepts a network cable
(there are also inexpensive wireless adapters that work as well -
Trendnet is one vendor).

Assign your print server a name and an IP address and adjust your PC's
to print directly to it (through the Windoze spooler or not). Then
ANY of your so-configured PC's can print to the printer without
worrying about the "master" PC being on and ready.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bob_M <r.mariotti@financialdatacorp.com> wrote in message news:<ilovj0dolqdkd6mt9mk5lg9d8674jaga11@4ax.com>...
> On 7 Sep 2004 04:29:29 -0700, zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:
>
> >Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
> >our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
> >laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
> >work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
> >seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
> >and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.
>

> FWIW - spend somewhere between $25-40 for a TCP/IP Print Server which
> plugs directly into the printer port and accepts a network cable
> (there are also inexpensive wireless adapters that work as well -
> Trendnet is one vendor).
>
> Assign your print server a name and an IP address and adjust your PC's
> to print directly to it (through the Windoze spooler or not). Then
> ANY of your so-configured PC's can print to the printer without
> worrying about the "master" PC being on and ready.
>
> Hope this helps.

I got a following note from Linksys: "Unfortunately this type of
configuration is no longer supported by linksys." This refers to what
I was earlier trying to work out. That's that. Thanks folks!

zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote in

> I got a following note from Linksys: "Unfortunately this type of
> configuration is no longer supported by linksys." This refers to
> what I was earlier trying to work out. That's that. Thanks folks!

That's a silly response!

I think it can be politely translated as "we don't know enough about
what kit you have to be able to help you". And that's roughly what
you've been told in this newsgroup :)

I use multiple printservers on my wireless network without problem.
This is my typical setup:
- a small workgroup (1 or more PCs)
- wired to an Ethernet switch
- printserver 'black box' wired to the switch
- printer wired to the printserver
- wireless client/bridge device wired to the switch

This allows all local PCs connected to the switch to print to the
printer via the printserver. It allows all PCs anywhere on the rest
of the network to connect wirelessly to the printer.

I use (now obsolete) Intel NetportExpress PRO printservers. They can
be picked up on eBay at a reasonable price, and I can recommend them.
Inbuilt webserver for configuring, remote management utility, SNMP.
Support two parallel, one serial printer. I use them with HP LaserJet
printers without problem.

I also have a D-Link printserver which plugs directly into a parallel
port. I use this either wired to a switch or to a wireless client
device. I also have a LaserJet with a JetDirect printserver card.
This is either connected to a switch port or to a wireless client
device.

For the wireless clients I use D-lInk DWL-900AP+ devices which work
well, and again can be picked up on eBay.

*None* of this is anything to do with the router, which is why
Linksys aren't able to help.

If you tell us the make/model of the printer we may be able to offer
some further advice...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.