Printing from a notebook on a wlan to a printer on lan.

Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.
5 answers Last reply
More about printing notebook wlan printer

    Yes it works for me!
    I have a laptop that is wireless to the lan and a computer that has a
    shared printer. It prints all the time just fine no problems. You MUST
    have a setting messed up.
    Remove EVERYTHING to do with that printer from the laptop, reboot,
    then cd in hand add a network printer, point it to the printer you
    want to use and then use the cd as needed. Some printers will not
    require the cd, some will, depends on the model of the printer and
    version of Windows you are using.
    Oh, I vary from static IP address to DHCP depending on how the AP is
    feeling today.
    Also remember you will going thru hoops to print, it WILL NOT be fast!
    Maybe part of the problem when it gets "jammed" is that you are not
    giving it enough time to do its job. Sometimes a minute or two can
    pass before it gets thru, especially if the printer is already busy
    with another job. Just ideas, not judgements.

    Tom wrote:

    > Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
    > our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
    > laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
    > work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
    > seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
    > and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.

    Yes it's possible if you set-up the host machine to do File and Print
    Sharing correctly, like tell the host machine to share the printer on the
    network. It makes no difference wired or wireless on how MS Windows
    networking works.

    Google is your friend

    Duane :)

    On 7 Sep 2004 04:29:29 -0700, zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:

    >Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
    >our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
    >laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
    >work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
    >seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
    >and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.

    FWIW - spend somewhere between $25-40 for a TCP/IP Print Server which
    plugs directly into the printer port and accepts a network cable
    (there are also inexpensive wireless adapters that work as well -
    Trendnet is one vendor).

    Assign your print server a name and an IP address and adjust your PC's
    to print directly to it (through the Windoze spooler or not). Then
    ANY of your so-configured PC's can print to the printer without
    worrying about the "master" PC being on and ready.

    Hope this helps.

    Bob_M <r.mariotti@financialdatacorp.com> wrote in message news:<ilovj0dolqdkd6mt9mk5lg9d8674jaga11@4ax.com>...
    > On 7 Sep 2004 04:29:29 -0700, zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi! I have a Linksys WRT54G hosting my wlan. It has a static IP from
    > >our lan. We have also a networkprinter in our lan. Inside the wlan the
    > >laptops are set to use DHCP. Problem is how can I set the printing to
    > >work properly; from laptops on wlan to a networkprinter on a lan? It
    > >seems that I can set up that printer on a laptop, but it won't print
    > >and finally it get jammed. Is this even possible? Tom.
    >

    > FWIW - spend somewhere between $25-40 for a TCP/IP Print Server which
    > plugs directly into the printer port and accepts a network cable
    > (there are also inexpensive wireless adapters that work as well -
    > Trendnet is one vendor).
    >
    > Assign your print server a name and an IP address and adjust your PC's
    > to print directly to it (through the Windoze spooler or not). Then
    > ANY of your so-configured PC's can print to the printer without
    > worrying about the "master" PC being on and ready.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    I got a following note from Linksys: "Unfortunately this type of
    configuration is no longer supported by linksys." This refers to what
    I was earlier trying to work out. That's that. Thanks folks!

    zade4u@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote in

    > I got a following note from Linksys: "Unfortunately this type of
    > configuration is no longer supported by linksys." This refers to
    > what I was earlier trying to work out. That's that. Thanks folks!

    That's a silly response!

    I think it can be politely translated as "we don't know enough about
    what kit you have to be able to help you". And that's roughly what
    you've been told in this newsgroup :)

    I use multiple printservers on my wireless network without problem.
    This is my typical setup:
    - a small workgroup (1 or more PCs)
    - wired to an Ethernet switch
    - printserver 'black box' wired to the switch
    - printer wired to the printserver
    - wireless client/bridge device wired to the switch

    This allows all local PCs connected to the switch to print to the
    printer via the printserver. It allows all PCs anywhere on the rest
    of the network to connect wirelessly to the printer.

    I use (now obsolete) Intel NetportExpress PRO printservers. They can
    be picked up on eBay at a reasonable price, and I can recommend them.
    Inbuilt webserver for configuring, remote management utility, SNMP.
    Support two parallel, one serial printer. I use them with HP LaserJet
    printers without problem.

    I also have a D-Link printserver which plugs directly into a parallel
    port. I use this either wired to a switch or to a wireless client
    device. I also have a LaserJet with a JetDirect printserver card.
    This is either connected to a switch port or to a wireless client
    device.

    For the wireless clients I use D-lInk DWL-900AP+ devices which work
    well, and again can be picked up on eBay.

    *None* of this is anything to do with the router, which is why
    Linksys aren't able to help.

    If you tell us the make/model of the printer we may be able to offer
    some further advice...

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Laptops LAN WLAN Wireless Networking