XP Home - right click on desktop causes system to "refresh"

Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
(luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are likely
related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the system
hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged back
on.

A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and select
File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can install a
new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File command.

I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express displayed
messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if somebody
has an idea...

THANKS!!!
18 answers Last reply
More about home click desktop system refresh

    Don't keep doing something that isn't fixing the problems. I have had
    difficulties in the past upgrading from ME to XP. Describle your computer
    (make and model, ram, cpu, hard drive type, etc).

    "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
    > (luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are
    > likely
    > related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the system
    > hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged back
    > on.
    >
    > A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and select
    > File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can install
    > new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File
    > command.
    >
    > I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express displayed
    > messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if
    > somebody
    > has an idea...
    >
    > THANKS!!!

    It is a Gateway - P866. 866 mhz CPU, 128mb RAM (I have ordered 2 - 256mb
    cards that should be here in a day or two), 40gb disk - with 65% free space.
    I defrag'd after the XP install.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Don't keep doing something that isn't fixing the problems. I have had
    > difficulties in the past upgrading from ME to XP. Describle your computer
    > (make and model, ram, cpu, hard drive type, etc).

    > "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
    > > (luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are
    > > likely
    > > related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the system
    > > hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged back
    > > on.
    > >
    > > A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and select
    > > File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can install
    > > new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File
    > > command.
    > >
    > > I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express displayed
    > > messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if
    > > somebody
    > > has an idea...
    > >
    > > THANKS!!!

    What video card? If it is onboard video then adding memory may resolve some
    of the 'hanging' since you may only be using 96mb of ram for the system, but
    watch your power supply. Make sure you don't exceed its rating.

    > It is a Gateway - P866. 866 mhz CPU, 128mb RAM (I have ordered 2 - 256mb
    > cards that should be here in a day or two), 40gb disk - with 65% free
    > space.
    > I defrag'd after the XP install.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Don't keep doing something that isn't fixing the problems. I have had
    >> difficulties in the past upgrading from ME to XP. Describle your
    >> computer
    >> (make and model, ram, cpu, hard drive type, etc).
    >>
    >> --
    >> "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
    >> > (luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are
    >> > likely
    >> > related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the
    >> > system
    >> > hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged
    >> > back
    >> > on.
    >> >
    >> > A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and
    >> > select
    >> > File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can
    >> > install
    >> > new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File
    >> > command.
    >> >
    >> > I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express
    >> > displayed
    >> > messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if
    >> > somebody
    >> > has an idea...
    >> >
    >> > THANKS!!!

    It is an onboard card. I put in a new one about 2 months ago as the original
    one "died". Nothing fancy since we don't do games or anything, basically a
    simple replacement of the one that ws in there. The video card stats
    displayed during boot-up indicate something about 64mb... Not sure that does
    you any good.

    Anyway, I would absolutely LOVE it if it were simply a memory issue. My
    wife just called and the memory arrived today. I will test it out tonight!

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > What video card? If it is onboard video then adding memory may resolve some
    > of the 'hanging' since you may only be using 96mb of ram for the system, but
    > watch your power supply. Make sure you don't exceed its rating.

    > "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It is a Gateway - P866. 866 mhz CPU, 128mb RAM (I have ordered 2 - 256mb
    > > cards that should be here in a day or two), 40gb disk - with 65% free
    > > space.
    > > I defrag'd after the XP install.
    > >
    > > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don't keep doing something that isn't fixing the problems. I have had
    > >> difficulties in the past upgrading from ME to XP. Describle your
    > >> computer
    > >> (make and model, ram, cpu, hard drive type, etc).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    That in not on-board (integrated with the motherboard). That is add-in
    (card that sits in a slot). Let us know about the memory. It will improve
    performance. If you have problems booting after adding the ram, try with
    one card out.

    > It is an onboard card. I put in a new one about 2 months ago as the
    > original
    > one "died". Nothing fancy since we don't do games or anything, basically
    > simple replacement of the one that ws in there. The video card stats
    > displayed during boot-up indicate something about 64mb... Not sure that
    > does
    > you any good.
    >
    > Anyway, I would absolutely LOVE it if it were simply a memory issue. My
    > wife just called and the memory arrived today. I will test it out
    > tonight!
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> What video card? If it is onboard video then adding memory may resolve
    >> some
    >> of the 'hanging' since you may only be using 96mb of ram for the system,
    >> but
    >> watch your power supply. Make sure you don't exceed its rating.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > It is a Gateway - P866. 866 mhz CPU, 128mb RAM (I have ordered 2 -
    >> > 256mb
    >> > cards that should be here in a day or two), 40gb disk - with 65% free
    >> > space.
    >> > I defrag'd after the XP install.

    *That is...

    > That in not on-board (integrated with the motherboard). That is add-in
    > (card that sits in a slot). Let us know about the memory. It will
    > improve performance. If you have problems booting after adding the ram,
    > try with one card out.

    > "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It is an onboard card. I put in a new one about 2 months ago as the
    >> original
    >> one "died". Nothing fancy since we don't do games or anything, basically
    >> simple replacement of the one that ws in there. The video card stats
    >> displayed during boot-up indicate something about 64mb... Not sure that
    >> does
    >> you any good.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I would absolutely LOVE it if it were simply a memory issue. My
    >> wife just called and the memory arrived today. I will test it out
    >> tonight!
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >>
    >>> What video card? If it is onboard video then adding memory may resolve
    >>> some
    >>> of the 'hanging' since you may only be using 96mb of ram for the system,
    >>> but
    >>> watch your power supply. Make sure you don't exceed its rating.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Well, the memory sure made it run faster - currently have 512mb (that is the
    max Gateway says this machine will handle) and response time is great.
    However, there is no change to the two issues below. If I right click on the
    desktop or if i select the File command in Windows explorer the machine
    "hangs" (hourglass) for about 30 - 45 seconds, closes all open applications,
    and brings me back to the desktop as if I had just booted up....

    The only other thing that does not seem to work since the upgrade from ME to
    XP is sound. I have an SB Live! soundboard from Creative that came with the
    unit. I have gone to their site and downloaded a full driver that was
    supposed to work with XP but there is still no sound. I can buy a new sound
    board easy enough but any hints here would be great. The first problem is
    the most annoying though, so if you have any other ideas there I will
    DEFINATELY try them out!

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > *That is...

    > > That in not on-board (integrated with the motherboard). That is add-in
    > > (card that sits in a slot). Let us know about the memory. It will
    > > improve performance. If you have problems booting after adding the ram,
    > > try with one card out.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "DJHMcKinney" <DJHMcKinney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> It is an onboard card. I put in a new one about 2 months ago as the
    > >> original
    > >> one "died". Nothing fancy since we don't do games or anything, basically
    > >> simple replacement of the one that ws in there. The video card stats
    > >> displayed during boot-up indicate something about 64mb... Not sure that
    > >> does
    > >> you any good.
    > >>
    > >> Anyway, I would absolutely LOVE it if it were simply a memory issue. My
    > >> wife just called and the memory arrived today. I will test it out
    > >> tonight!

    Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I just upgraded from Win98 to
    XP Pro, and I'm having the exact same problem.

    "DJHMcKinney" wrote:

    > Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
    > (luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are likely
    > related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the system
    > hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged back
    > on.
    >
    > A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and select
    > File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can install a
    > new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File command.
    >
    > I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express displayed
    > messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if somebody
    > has an idea...
    >
    > THANKS!!!

    What happens when you use Windows Updates?

    CTLouisiana@msn.comREMOVE wrote:
    > What happens when you use Windows Updates?
    >
    > "hitmeister" <hitmeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I just upgraded from Win98
    >>XP Pro, and I'm having the exact same problem.
    >>
    >>"DJHMcKinney" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Upgraded from ME to XP Home with SP2. After I rebuilt my address list
    >>>(luckily i had zipped my messages) I have notice 2 problems that are
    >>>likely
    >>>related. If I right-click on the desktop (arrange icons, etc.) the
    >>>system
    >>>hangs and then refreshes itself - almost like I logged off and logged
    >>>back
    >>>on.
    >>>
    >>>A second (related?) problem is that if I am in Windows Explorer and
    >>>select
    >>>File (to create a new folder, etc.) it does the same thing. I can
    >>>install a
    >>>new folder in an MS Office "save as" screen, but not from the File
    >>>command.
    >>>
    >>>I have already reinstalled XP once - first time Outlook Express displayed
    >>>messages but you could not open them. I hate to reinstall again if
    >>>somebody
    >>>has an idea...

    This has nothing to do with Windows Updates. For both posters - check to
    see what third-party programs have put entries into the right-click
    context menu. Often this will cause problems. The easiest way to do this
    is with the free ShellExView program. Disable all non-MS context menus
    and test. If everything now works, enable one non-MS context menu item
    at a time, testing after each to find the culprit.

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke - I will try following the instructions below but I have a very hard
    time believing that is going to do anything. When I started the upgrade
    everything worked, when I finished I could not use the File command in
    Windows Explorer or Right click on the desk top. There were absolutely no
    other changes made to the machine.

    hitmeister - The only way I have now to create new folders is in DOS. If
    you don't know the DOS commands send me an e-mail and I will walk you through
    it - easy but a royal pain.

    DJHMcKinney wrote:
    > Malke - I will try following the instructions below but I have a very hard
    > time believing that is going to do anything. When I started the upgrade
    > everything worked, when I finished I could not use the File command in
    > Windows Explorer or Right click on the desk top. There were absolutely no
    > other changes made to the machine.
    >
    > hitmeister - The only way I have now to create new folders is in DOS. If
    > you don't know the DOS commands send me an e-mail and I will walk you through
    > it - easy but a royal pain.

    You say you did an upgrade. To me, this implies you installed XP *over*
    a previous operating system such as Windows 98 or ME. If this is the
    case, then most certainly there could be programs you had installed in
    the older operating system that don't play nice with the right-click
    context menu in XP. There were issues with certain DivX codecs, for
    instance after SP2.

    If you are saying that you did a *clean* install; i.e., deleted the
    partition, formatted the drive, and then installed Windows XP and there
    is nothing else on the machine - no programs - yet, then there are other
    issues. Please post back with clarification of your situation.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    "Malke" wrote:
    ..
    > This has nothing to do with Windows Updates. For both posters - check to
    > see what third-party programs have put entries into the right-click
    > context menu. Often this will cause problems. The easiest way to do this
    > is with the free ShellExView program. Disable all non-MS context menus
    > and test. If everything now works, enable one non-MS context menu item
    > at a time, testing after each to find the culprit.
    >
    > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    >
    > Malke

    I've tried shexview already. I only have two apps that use context menus:
    winzip and AGV anti-virus. I disabled both, and the problem still occurred.

    Any other ideas?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    hitmeister wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    > .
    >
    >>This has nothing to do with Windows Updates. For both posters - check to
    >>see what third-party programs have put entries into the right-click
    >>context menu. Often this will cause problems. The easiest way to do this
    >>is with the free ShellExView program. Disable all non-MS context menus
    >>and test. If everything now works, enable one non-MS context menu item
    >>at a time, testing after each to find the culprit.
    >>
    >>http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    >>
    >>Malke
    >

    > I've tried shexview already. I only have two apps that use context menus:
    > winzip and AGV anti-virus. I disabled both, and the problem still occurred.
    >

    > Any other ideas?

    How much memory do you have? What are the computer's hardware specs,
    particularly the video card? And please clarify whether or not this was
    an upgrade or clean install.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Malke - both hitmeister and I did upgrades. Mine from ME and his from 98.
    My PC is a Gateway 966 - 512mb RAM. I am not sure I found the correct info
    for the video card - XP is far from intuitive and the inability to
    right-click on the desktop prevents me from doing things the way I used to
    know how to do them, but under Device Manager I found Video codecs - it
    listed Indeo Video 5.10....

    "Malke" wrote:

    > hitmeister wrote:
    > >
    > > "Malke" wrote:
    > > .
    > >
    > >>This has nothing to do with Windows Updates. For both posters - check to
    > >>see what third-party programs have put entries into the right-click
    > >>context menu. Often this will cause problems. The easiest way to do this
    > >>is with the free ShellExView program. Disable all non-MS context menus
    > >>and test. If everything now works, enable one non-MS context menu item
    > >>at a time, testing after each to find the culprit.
    > >>
    > >>http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    > >>
    > >>Malke
    > >

    > > I've tried shexview already. I only have two apps that use context menus:
    > > winzip and AGV anti-virus. I disabled both, and the problem still occurred.
    > >

    > > Any other ideas?
    >
    > How much memory do you have? What are the computer's hardware specs,
    > particularly the video card? And please clarify whether or not this was
    > an upgrade or clean install.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    DJHMcKinney wrote:
    > Malke - both hitmeister and I did upgrades. Mine from ME and his from 98.
    > My PC is a Gateway 966 - 512mb RAM. I am not sure I found the correct info
    > for the video card - XP is far from intuitive and the inability to
    > right-click on the desktop prevents me from doing things the way I used to
    > know how to do them, but under Device Manager I found Video codecs - it
    > listed Indeo Video 5.10....

    To determine what is in your computer, get and install the free Everest
    Home program from:

    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

    This will tell you what video card you have. Go to the card mftr.'s
    website and download/install the latest drivers for WinXP. If you did
    not replace the hardware that came with your OEM machine (Gateway), see
    if there are XP drivers for the hardware on Gateway's site for your
    specific model machine first.

    XP has extremely good hardware recognition. The problems you are
    experiencing are because you upgraded an older, proprietary machine with
    possibly non-standard components and definitely pre-installed Gateway
    software that was not designed for the XP operating system. You probably
    have old cruft still installed that may be causing problems and you may
    very well have older hardware and/or drivers installed that work
    marginally with XP and/or cause problems.

    Without actually seeing the machine, I can't diagnose the cause of your
    problems precisely, but if you are not able to solve your issues, you
    can either 1) do a clean install; or 2) take the machine to a computer
    professional (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). Please be aware
    that if you do a clean install you will 1) need to have qualifying media
    if you have an upgrade version of XP and the Gateway restore cd will not
    work for this; 2) you will lose all your data and need to reinstall
    programs from the installation media.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Malke" wrote:

    > hitmeister wrote:

    > > I've tried shexview already. I only have two apps that use context menus:
    > > winzip and AGV anti-virus. I disabled both, and the problem still occurred.
    > >

    > > Any other ideas?
    >
    > How much memory do you have? What are the computer's hardware specs,
    > particularly the video card? And please clarify whether or not this was
    > an upgrade or clean install.

    I have 256MB of memory. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce MX440 with AGP8X.
    My installation was an upgrade from Windows 98SE.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I will do all the things you mentioned tonight, but I still have a question.
    I can understand that there might be "junk" connected to my right click but
    how would a video card issue prevent me from using the File command in
    Windows Explorer?

    "Malke" wrote:

    > DJHMcKinney wrote:
    > > Malke - both hitmeister and I did upgrades. Mine from ME and his from 98.
    > > My PC is a Gateway 966 - 512mb RAM. I am not sure I found the correct info
    > > for the video card - XP is far from intuitive and the inability to
    > > right-click on the desktop prevents me from doing things the way I used to
    > > know how to do them, but under Device Manager I found Video codecs - it
    > > listed Indeo Video 5.10....
    >
    > To determine what is in your computer, get and install the free Everest
    > Home program from:
    >
    > http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
    >
    > This will tell you what video card you have. Go to the card mftr.'s
    > website and download/install the latest drivers for WinXP. If you did
    > not replace the hardware that came with your OEM machine (Gateway), see
    > if there are XP drivers for the hardware on Gateway's site for your
    > specific model machine first.
    >
    > XP has extremely good hardware recognition. The problems you are
    > experiencing are because you upgraded an older, proprietary machine with
    > possibly non-standard components and definitely pre-installed Gateway
    > software that was not designed for the XP operating system. You probably
    > have old cruft still installed that may be causing problems and you may
    > very well have older hardware and/or drivers installed that work
    > marginally with XP and/or cause problems.
    >
    > Without actually seeing the machine, I can't diagnose the cause of your
    > problems precisely, but if you are not able to solve your issues, you
    > can either 1) do a clean install; or 2) take the machine to a computer
    > professional (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). Please be aware
    > that if you do a clean install you will 1) need to have qualifying media
    > if you have an upgrade version of XP and the Gateway restore cd will not
    > work for this; 2) you will lose all your data and need to reinstall
    > programs from the installation media.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell