Few words about Gigabyte mainboards

igor_levicki

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I had GA8IE533, GA8PE667 and now GA8PE667 Ultra 2. What is common for all three? On board midi port doesn't show up under Windows XP. Why? Because regardlessly of BIOS choice for IRQ5 or IRQ10 it always gets IRQ9 which we all know is reserved for ACPI. So it is the BIOS error. I wrote to the Gigabyte technical support and they sent me newer version of BIOS which I already had and I even wrote that in my email to them. They also suggested to try to reserve IRQ9 in BIOS and that didn't work too. If anyone have Gigabyte mainboard with working onboard midi (MPU-401) port in Windows XP please let me know. Although I doubt there is anyone who have it. Second thing is related to GA8PE667 Ultra 2 I have now. It is about BOOT sequence. I use onboard RAID for my 2 disks. Whenever I attach someones drive to another onboard controller (intel) it tries to boot from that drive instead of my RAID. Whatever I select as first boot device (SCSI, RAID) whether I disable all boot devices it does the same - boots from that drive and not the one I want to. Faulty BIOS code again. The only way I found around that is to switch drive detection off (from auto to none) and then let Windows XP detect it. That way I get only UDMA2 trasfer for drive that supports UDMA5 because BIOS reports 40 pin cable instead of 80 pin one which is attached. I don't have any more nerves to fiddle with their lousy poor-english speaking technical support which don't understand the problem and keep sending me ~600 KB attachments with the latest BIOS which should solve my problems. Do you know what is new in latest version of BIOS for GA8PE667 Ultra 2? It is DUAL BIOS LOGO! With all these errors screaming to get corrected they dare to put only a logo into a new version of BIOS! That is why I would like to advise everyone not to buy Gigabyte products.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Whenever I attach someones drive to another onboard controller (intel) it tries to boot from that drive instead of my RAID
it does that because you got your boot sequence setup to do that! check your boot sequence.. does it say first boot device RAID or first boot device ide 0,1 etc
if the first boot device ISNT raid then it WILL boot from normal ide when u attach another drive. as far as i know u cannot disable all boot devices. if you set them all to none then it defaults and trys each in turn (a,c etc)
check you have the jumpers right on the hdd (master/slave)