QUESTION please

will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my hardrive
completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
--
SADssd
26 answers Last reply

    Downloading won't erase anything, installing a new operating system would.

    If you are thinking of downloading the beta version of XP Pro 64, don't
    bother. It is out of beta any day now and releasing to OEM for production.
    For now it appears that it will only be available for new machines.

    You cannot upgrade your present system to 64 bit Windows, even if you are
    running a 64-cpu already, because there is no way to upgrade 32-bit Windows
    to 64-bit Windows. You can only do a clean install.

    "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    > hardrive
    > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    > --
    > SADssd

    "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    > hardrive
    > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    > --
    > SADssd

    Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have a
    runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a specific
    system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit, and the only chip
    out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    > "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    >> hardrive
    >> completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    >> --
    >> SADssd
    >
    > Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have
    > system runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a
    > specific system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit, and the
    > only chip out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.
    >This is completely *WRONG*!!!!

    In order to run Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows Server 2003
    64 bit Edition, you need a compatible 64 bit processor. Compatible
    processors are the AMD64 processor family, AMD64 FX processors, the recently
    introduced Intel EM64T processor, Intel XEON, or AMD Opteron.

    The Itaniums *WILL NOT* run either Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or
    Windows Server 2003 64 bit Edition. It will only run software based upon
    the IA-86 Kernel. The other processors listed above are designed to run
    86-x64 based code, which is what Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or
    Windows Server 2003 64 bit Edition are based on.

    If you are going to post answers in these newsgroups, you need to at least
    have a clue as to what you are talking about. With your limited knowledge,
    you shouldn't even be posting at all.

    Bobby

    i have a 64bit AMD mobile, and the beta 64bit windows is currently free to
    download ~543mb

    "Tom" wrote:

    > "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    > > hardrive
    > > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    > > --
    > > SADssd
    >
    > Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have a
    > runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a specific
    > system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit, and the only chip
    > out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.

    You should have said so in the first place. You still cannot upgrade your
    present Windows installation with the beta. I do not know whether you can
    multiboot 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The concern I would have is that the
    beta time-bombs in six months and it is not now clear how you would obtain a
    retail edition since, as far as I know, only the OEM version is releasing
    next month.

    >i have a 64bit AMD mobile, and the beta 64bit windows is currently free to
    > download ~543mb
    >
    > "Tom" wrote:
    >

    >> "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    >> > hardrive
    >> > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    >> > --
    >> > SADssd
    >>
    >> Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have
    >> system
    >> runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a
    >> specific
    >> system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit, and the only
    >> chip
    >> out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.

    You can not upgrade Windows XP Home or Pro with 64 bit.

    Furthermore since the 64 bit will be OEM only once released, you will not be
    able to upgrade with that either.
    Clean Install is the only option, everything previous will be gone.

    For more information, you should ask your questions in the 64 bit
    newsgroups:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/support.mspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    In news:e5A7kKcMFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> had this to say:

    > Downloading won't erase anything, installing a new operating system
    > would.
    > If you are thinking of downloading the beta version of XP Pro 64,
    > don't bother. It is out of beta any day now and releasing to OEM for
    > production. For now it appears that it will only be available for new
    > machines.
    > You cannot upgrade your present system to 64 bit Windows, even if you
    > are running a 64-cpu already, because there is no way to upgrade
    > 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows. You can only do a clean install.
    >
    >> will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    >> hardrive
    >> completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    >> --
    >> SADssd

    Definately don't bother. Microsoft is going to swap 32 bit for 64 bit for
    SOME people:

    http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,119878,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp

    Please note that this boarders on just adding to the confusion as it's ONLY
    for 2k3 and XP Pro... *clicks link to check that actually*

    Err, not a good link at all. Good thing I clicked on it...

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21760

    Hardly can be considered fact...

    Anyhow it's worth looking into and waiting to see what REALLY is the case.

    To be honest I have tried the 64 bit beta and didn't notice one iota of
    performance difference... Not a single bit of difference to be completely
    frank but I'm an AMD man and 32 bit compatability is built right in without
    problems in most cases unless you want to hear the sob store about ME and
    drivers...

    Galen

    cLOWNFETUS wrote:
    > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my hardrive
    > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?

    As the WinXPx64 is designed to be released only as an OEM product, it
    is designed to perform only a clean installation. You have the choice
    of either wiping the hard drive and running the beta OS by itself, or of
    creating a dual-boot configuration between WinXP Home and WinXPx64.
    WinXPx64 cannot be used to upgrade WinXP Home.

    Do you already have an AMD CPU capable of supporting WinXPx64? Do you
    have an empty partition on which to install it, if you select the
    dual-boot option? Have you ensured that you have WinXPx64-compatible
    device drivers for all of your hardware components?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Tom wrote:

    > Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have a
    > MSDN subscription, which can be a lot of money) legally.

    Incorrect.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 Customer Preview
    Program
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

    > Two, if your system
    > runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a specific
    > system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit,

    True.

    > and the only chip
    > out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.

    Also incorrect. Never heard of AMD?
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html?redir=GIHM01

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Tom wrote:
    >

    >> Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have
    >> a MSDN subscription, which can be a lot of money) legally.
    >

    > Incorrect.
    >
    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 Customer Preview
    > Program
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
    >

    >> Two, if your system runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work,
    >> as you need a specific system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro
    >> 64 bit,
    >

    > True.
    >

    >> and the only chip out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by
    >> Intel.
    >
    > Also incorrect. Never heard of AMD?
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html?redir=GIHM01

    As you don't read (with the others) I specified what the OP asked about,
    that being XP Pro 64 bit, not the x64, of which I am aware of. As I am sure
    you know, there was a sold version speicically made for ONLY 64bit Itanium
    chips. If you had read the posts in this thread, you would have seen that.
    The OP did not specify x64, and downloading can mean a lot of things.

    Tom wrote:

    > As you don't read (with the others) I specified what the OP asked about,
    > that being XP Pro 64 bit, not the x64, of which I am aware of. As I am sure
    > you know, there was a sold version speicically made for ONLY 64bit Itanium
    > chips. If you had read the posts in this thread, you would have seen that.
    > The OP did not specify x64, and downloading can mean a lot of things.

    Why not just admit that you "shot from the lip," and were nearly
    completely wrong, rather than try to change the subject to an argument
    over semantics? You're only making yourself look more foolish by not
    admitting the mistake and moving on.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > Tom wrote:
    >

    >> As you don't read (with the others) I specified what the OP asked about,
    >> that being XP Pro 64 bit, not the x64, of which I am aware of. As I am
    >> sure you know, there was a sold version speicically made for ONLY 64bit
    >> Itanium chips. If you had read the posts in this thread, you would have
    >> seen that. The OP did not specify x64, and downloading can mean a lot of
    >> things.
    >
    > Why not just admit that you "shot from the lip," and were nearly
    > completely wrong, rather than try to change the subject to an argument
    > over semantics? You're only making yourself look more foolish by not
    > admitting the mistake and moving on.

    LOL, Ok, Bruce was/is there a version of XP pro 64bit that was specifically,
    and ONLY 64 bit, released a few years back? Did I post the links to that?
    (Yes I did, and you didn't comment). It wasn't semantics, I related to the
    OP exactly what he claimed he was trying to use, nothing more. If you cannot
    answer striaght up, then don't bother answering, I already gave what I
    thought the OP wanted.

    No, not so, there are 'several" Win XP 64 bit motherborads out there for AMD
    Win 64 bit processors, ........

    "Tom" wrote:

    > "cLOWNFETUS" <cLOWNFETUS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my
    > > hardrive
    > > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    > > --
    > > SADssd
    >
    > Firstly, you don't download any Windows operating system (unless you have a
    > runs the current 32bit setup, the 64 will not work, as you need a specific
    > system setup with a 64bit processor to run XP Pro 64 bit, and the only chip
    > out there that does this currently is the Itanium, by Intel.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Good answer Bruce, I am glad a cooler head finally answered CF's question
    with a kinder voice......ojrn1954

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > cLOWNFETUS wrote:
    > > will downloading and installing windows 64bit professional erase my hardrive
    > > completley or will it just replace my current OS, windows home xp?
    >

    > As the WinXPx64 is designed to be released only as an OEM product, it
    > is designed to perform only a clean installation. You have the choice
    > of either wiping the hard drive and running the beta OS by itself, or of
    > creating a dual-boot configuration between WinXP Home and WinXPx64.
    > WinXPx64 cannot be used to upgrade WinXP Home.
    >
    > Do you already have an AMD CPU capable of supporting WinXPx64? Do you
    > have an empty partition on which to install it, if you select the
    > dual-boot option? Have you ensured that you have WinXPx64-compatible
    > device drivers for all of your hardware components?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi guyz

    I have a qustion, i just ordered parts to build myself a gaming computer,
    and i also purchased Windows XP pro x64, and when i try to install it on my
    new pc, i get an error message that says that this software cannot be
    installed on this computer.

    I have an NCCH-DL Dual Intel Xeon 800FSB mother board, and a Xeon[tm]
    3.06GHZ, 2 512mb ram, how can i find out what is causing the problem?

    I would greatly appreciate the help
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Juggernaut:

    Take a close look at the specs on that processor in your new rig. It occurs
    to me that you didn't get the EM64T enabled version of that processor, and if
    this is the case, then you would NOT be able to run the x64 OS.

    Just to reiterate, Windows XP Pro x64 is designed to work with 64-bit
    processors from AMD and Intel that support the x64 extensions to the x86
    architecture. These include the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Mobile Athlon 64,
    Turion 64, and Opteron processors from AMD, and the Xeon with EM64T and
    Pentium 4 with EM64T from Intel.

    If you are unsure, just go to Intel.com and get into the support area where
    you can look up the nomenclature on your processor...there is a matrix that
    will show you precisely which Xeon processors are EM64T enabled, and which
    are NOT. Also, if you have the correct processor, you may indeed have the
    incorrect BIOS...again, something you can locate in the support section of
    Intel's website.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Thanks to all who so avidly support the x64 technologies and everyone who
    helped beta test the newest XP & 2003 Server Edition versions!

    Warmest Regards,
    Brendon F. (DFW, TX USA)

    "juggernaut" wrote:

    > Hi guyz
    >
    > I have a qustion, i just ordered parts to build myself a gaming computer,
    > and i also purchased Windows XP pro x64, and when i try to install it on my
    > new pc, i get an error message that says that this software cannot be
    > installed on this computer.
    >
    > I have an NCCH-DL Dual Intel Xeon 800FSB mother board, and a Xeon[tm]
    > 3.06GHZ, 2 512mb ram, how can i find out what is causing the problem?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate the help
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    juggernaut wrote:
    > I have a qustion, i just ordered parts to build myself a gaming
    > computer, and i also purchased Windows XP pro x64, and when i try to
    > install it on my new pc, i get an error message that says that this
    > software cannot be installed on this computer.
    >
    > I have an NCCH-DL Dual Intel Xeon 800FSB mother board, and a Xeon[tm]
    > 3.06GHZ, 2 512mb ram, how can i find out what is causing the problem?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate the help

    Hmm.. Let's see..
    You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit hardware
    system.

    Guess that settles that one. =)

    (Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system, heh.)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan...You're an MS-MVP...??? What exactly are the criteria for such a
    title? Certainly being polite, helpful and knowledgeable were NOT among the
    prerequisites! Your post was rude and incredibly disingenuous, and only
    added to the confusion about x64 technology. The nature of your comments are
    rather contrary to the "MVP" status you hold, as well as the very purpose of
    the newsgroup in general. Thanks for making certain the you are/were
    informed before opening your big mouth.

    FACTS:
    NCCH-DL: Asus has engineered this new dual Xeon platform utilizing the
    tried and true 875P chipset which dominated the market in late 2003 and early
    2004. The 875P is tied together with a new Intel Southbridge, new Serial
    ATA/150 RAID functionality, and most importantly, support for Intel's new
    EM64T "Nocona" processors" for a motherboard which some argue may be one of
    the most innovative this year.

    The top half of the board is dominated by the two 604-pin Xeon processor
    sockets, which can handle Xeon processors up to 3.6 GHz and higher. Unlike
    most new Xeon platforms (which can only work with new 800 MHz FSB Xeons), the
    NCCH-DL can work with both 533 MHz and 800 MHz FSB Socket-604 Xeon
    processors.

    I would have mentioned numerous reasons why this board would NOT be a wise
    choice for mating with the new x64 iterations of Windows XP or 2003 Server.
    I would have questioned the choice of motherboards entirely...at least for a
    gaming system. Just the memory limitations alone, make this dual Xeon
    offering a less than optimum platform for utilizing 64-bit technology.

    For instance: The NCCH-DL has four DDR memory slots, which can handle up to
    4GB of DDR-400 SDRAM. This number is quite a bit lower than the peak memory
    capacities of most Xeon platforms, which can often support 8GB to 16GB of
    memory. The 4GB limitation is due to the board's 875P chipset...and it
    defeats one of the main benefits of the 64-bit OS...supports for up to 128
    gigabytes (GB) of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory!!! On the plus
    side, the 875P chipset allows the use of standard (non-ECC, non-registered)
    DDR-400 memory modules with Xeon processors, meaning you do not have to
    purchase expensive ECC/R DDR2 memory modules for these new Xeon processors.

    NCCH-DL features an AGP 8x Pro slot, which is the first (and only, to my
    knowledge) "Nocona" Xeon platform to boast AGP connectivity. Every other
    "Nocona" platform to date has utilized a PCI Express x16 graphics slot, which
    is all fine and good, except there are a lot of workstation users out there
    who have purchased expensive AGP-based workstation graphics cards.
    Still...once again...a true gamer would likely embrace the newer
    chipsets/architecture from Intel such as the 925 or 955.

    The 875P chipset does have limitations, in that it can only hold up to 4GB
    of memory (which, in reality, ends up being 3.3GB if you max out the board,
    as the 875P chipset can never hold true 4GB memory capacities), and you
    cannot run any new, high-bandwidth PCI Express graphics cards and
    peripherals. If you were buying a high-end system from scratch, these issues
    might play into your selection of motherboards, but if you’re upgrading to a
    new Xeon configuration and already have DDR memory or an AGP graphics card to
    use, the NCCH-DL makes for an enticing upgrade option. --

    The fact remains...the board, with the appropriate processor, BIOS and
    OS...IS INDEED 64-bit compatible. I believe the use of the 64-bit OS in this
    configuration to be a considerable waste...and the chances of having the
    necessary drivers for the older hardware seems highly unlikely. All in all,
    this isn't a gaming solution I would have chosen...particularly if 64-bit
    computing was my aim. Still, I hope to have shed a little light on the
    subject...rather than just taunting and poking fun at someone with little
    regard to providing assistance, much less having the FACTS together before
    attempting to make another look foolish!

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > juggernaut wrote:
    > > I have a qustion, i just ordered parts to build myself a gaming
    > > computer, and i also purchased Windows XP pro x64, and when i try to
    > > install it on my new pc, i get an error message that says that this
    > > software cannot be installed on this computer.
    > >
    > > I have an NCCH-DL Dual Intel Xeon 800FSB mother board, and a Xeon[tm]
    > > 3.06GHZ, 2 512mb ram, how can i find out what is causing the problem?
    > >
    > > I would greatly appreciate the help
    >
    > Hmm.. Let's see..
    > You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit hardware
    > system.
    >
    > Guess that settles that one. =)
    >
    > (Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system, heh.)
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    USNBrendon wrote:
    > Shenan...You're an MS-MVP...??? What exactly are the criteria for
    > such a title? Certainly being polite, helpful and knowledgeable were
    > NOT among the prerequisites! Your post was rude and incredibly
    > disingenuous, and only added to the confusion about x64 technology.
    > The nature of your comments are rather contrary to the "MVP" status
    > you hold, as well as the very purpose of the newsgroup in general.
    > Thanks for making certain the you are/were informed before opening
    > your big mouth.

    Thank you for your opinion.. There was nothing "rude" in the response..

    The OP - as you pointed out - may not have the EM64T enabled version of that
    processor.
    You may have stated it more in-depth than I - but the same point was made.

    If the OP does not have the correct hardware - they cannot install the 64
    bit OS.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Does the computer you are building contain a 64bit processor? If not then
    that is the reason. Windows XP 64 bit won't run on 32 bit hardware.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
    either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
    reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
    direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
    of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

    "juggernaut" <juggernaut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guyz
    >
    > I have a qustion, i just ordered parts to build myself a gaming computer,
    > and i also purchased Windows XP pro x64, and when i try to install it on
    > my
    > new pc, i get an error message that says that this software cannot be
    > installed on this computer.
    >
    > I have an NCCH-DL Dual Intel Xeon 800FSB mother board, and a Xeon[tm]
    > 3.06GHZ, 2 512mb ram, how can i find out what is causing the problem?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate the help
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    juggernaut ended his interrogative with:

    "...how can i find out what is causing the problem? I would greatly
    appreciate the help"

    Shenan Stanley (MS-MVP) responds to the users request for help with:

    "Hmm.. Let's see.." (Sorry Shenan, but starting out this way IS rude...if
    for no other reason than it comes across as totally condescending. It seems
    highly improper to address an "OP" this way, particularly when all that was
    requested was HELP!)

    "You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit hardware
    system." (Again, I don't see the helpful attitude in such a
    statement...particularly when the statement is inaccurate.)

    "Guess that settles that one. =)" (This statement was like shoving your
    middle finger in the "OP's" face! It is crass and uncool.)

    "(Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system, heh.)"
    (Lastly Shenan, please don't backpedal...just admit you intended your remarks
    precisely the way they came across! If you are going to take cheap shots by
    imferring that the OP is ignorant enough to believe that a dual 32bit
    system=a 64-bit system, then be big enough to admit that ending it with "HEH"
    was just your way of adding insult to injury! Perhaps you were in a
    mood...tired of dealing with stupid questions. This OP asked no stupid
    question...instead requested help and expertise. Instead you heaped on a
    whopping dose of sarcasm and pointless jeering. Did it make you feel good?

    --
    Thanks to all who so avidly support the x64 technologies and everyone who
    helped beta test the newest XP & 2003 Server Edition versions!

    Warmest Regards,
    Brendon F. (DFW, TX USA)
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    USNBrendon wrote:

    Irrelevant ranting and marketing drivel snipped....

    None of which changes the simple fact that a Xeon processor is *not* a
    64-bit CPU, and that installing 2 of them will not magically bestow
    64-bit capability, regardless of what other CPUs the motherboard might
    support.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    USNBrendon wrote:
    > juggernaut ended his interrogative with:
    >
    > "...how can i find out what is causing the problem? I would greatly
    > appreciate the help"
    >
    > Shenan Stanley (MS-MVP) responds to the users request for help with:
    >
    > "Hmm.. Let's see.." (Sorry Shenan, but starting out this way IS
    > rude...if for no other reason than it comes across as totally
    > condescending. It seems highly improper to address an "OP" this way,
    > particularly when all that was requested was HELP!)
    >
    > "You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit
    > hardware system." (Again, I don't see the helpful attitude in such a
    > statement...particularly when the statement is inaccurate.)
    >
    > "Guess that settles that one. =)" (This statement was like shoving
    > your middle finger in the "OP's" face! It is crass and uncool.)
    >
    > "(Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system,
    > heh.)" (Lastly Shenan, please don't backpedal...just admit you
    > intended your remarks precisely the way they came across! If you are
    > going to take cheap shots by imferring that the OP is ignorant enough
    > to believe that a dual 32bit system=a 64-bit system, then be big
    > enough to admit that ending it with "HEH" was just your way of adding
    > insult to injury! Perhaps you were in a mood...tired of dealing with
    > stupid questions. This OP asked no stupid question...instead
    > requested help and expertise. Instead you heaped on a whopping dose
    > of sarcasm and pointless jeering. Did it make you feel good?

    Let me just say I have seen your postings for months here and in other
    forums..
    It's always the same. Review them yourself.

    No - my reply was not rude. Yours, however, in my months of review -
    usually are in a condescending manner.

    My suggestion to you, learn to not read things into written text that aren't
    there.

    Thank you for your opinion.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You have one heck of an ego. If your response was not rude then, you don't
    even know the meaning of rude.
    > USNBrendon wrote:
    >> juggernaut ended his interrogative with:
    >>
    >> "...how can i find out what is causing the problem? I would greatly
    >> appreciate the help"
    >>
    >> Shenan Stanley (MS-MVP) responds to the users request for help with:
    >>
    >> "Hmm.. Let's see.." (Sorry Shenan, but starting out this way IS
    >> rude...if for no other reason than it comes across as totally
    >> condescending. It seems highly improper to address an "OP" this way,
    >> particularly when all that was requested was HELP!)
    >>
    >> "You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit
    >> hardware system." (Again, I don't see the helpful attitude in such a
    >> statement...particularly when the statement is inaccurate.)
    >>
    >> "Guess that settles that one. =)" (This statement was like shoving
    >> your middle finger in the "OP's" face! It is crass and uncool.)
    >>
    >> "(Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system,
    >> heh.)" (Lastly Shenan, please don't backpedal...just admit you
    >> intended your remarks precisely the way they came across! If you are
    >> going to take cheap shots by imferring that the OP is ignorant enough
    >> to believe that a dual 32bit system=a 64-bit system, then be big
    >> enough to admit that ending it with "HEH" was just your way of adding
    >> insult to injury! Perhaps you were in a mood...tired of dealing with
    >> stupid questions. This OP asked no stupid question...instead
    >> requested help and expertise. Instead you heaped on a whopping dose
    >> of sarcasm and pointless jeering. Did it make you feel good?
    >
    > Let me just say I have seen your postings for months here and in other
    > forums..
    > It's always the same. Review them yourself.
    >
    > No - my reply was not rude. Yours, however, in my months of review -
    > usually are in a condescending manner.
    >
    > My suggestion to you, learn to not read things into written text that
    > aren't there.
    >
    > Thank you for your opinion.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    If you think that was rude then you need to grow thicker skin. Until that
    happens stay off of Usenet.

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > You have one heck of an ego. If your response was not rude then, you don't
    > even know the meaning of rude.
    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> USNBrendon wrote:
    >>> juggernaut ended his interrogative with:
    >>>
    >>> "...how can i find out what is causing the problem? I would greatly
    >>> appreciate the help"
    >>>
    >>> Shenan Stanley (MS-MVP) responds to the users request for help with:
    >>>
    >>> "Hmm.. Let's see.." (Sorry Shenan, but starting out this way IS
    >>> rude...if for no other reason than it comes across as totally
    >>> condescending. It seems highly improper to address an "OP" this way,
    >>> particularly when all that was requested was HELP!)
    >>>
    >>> "You are trying to install a 64bit Operating System on a 32bit
    >>> hardware system." (Again, I don't see the helpful attitude in such a
    >>> statement...particularly when the statement is inaccurate.)
    >>>
    >>> "Guess that settles that one. =)" (This statement was like shoving
    >>> your middle finger in the "OP's" face! It is crass and uncool.)
    >>>
    >>> "(Having a dual 32bit based system does not make it a 64bit system,
    >>> heh.)" (Lastly Shenan, please don't backpedal...just admit you
    >>> intended your remarks precisely the way they came across! If you are
    >>> going to take cheap shots by imferring that the OP is ignorant enough
    >>> to believe that a dual 32bit system=a 64-bit system, then be big
    >>> enough to admit that ending it with "HEH" was just your way of adding
    >>> insult to injury! Perhaps you were in a mood...tired of dealing with
    >>> stupid questions. This OP asked no stupid question...instead
    >>> requested help and expertise. Instead you heaped on a whopping dose
    >>> of sarcasm and pointless jeering. Did it make you feel good?
    >>
    >> Let me just say I have seen your postings for months here and in other
    >> forums..
    >> It's always the same. Review them yourself.
    >>
    >> No - my reply was not rude. Yours, however, in my months of review -
    >> usually are in a condescending manner.
    >>
    >> My suggestion to you, learn to not read things into written text that
    >> aren't there.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your opinion.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --
    >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Who died and left you boss? When did you get the power to tell people to
    stay off Usenet? Are you a dictator or what?

Microsoft Windows XP