Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 OEM Re-Activation

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 28, 2010 2:15:40 AM

:hello:  Hello everyone,
This is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to post. Well my friend has bought a laptop that came with bloatware from the manufacturer that is just taking up valuable disk space. I have a Windows 7 home premium disc that I bought for my own desktop. I want to use it reformat his HDD but I know I can't use the same key. Now my question is: Is there any way of doing a clean install while still preserving OEM activation? He really doesn't want to have to purchase another key. Thank all of you in advance for your time.

More about : windows oem activation

Best solution

August 28, 2010 2:36:08 AM

if it is the same version (home OEM, ..), he can use his key with your disk. If you don't have the same version, I'M sure you can find a copy of an OEM dvd and use his key with it. Keys are not linked to disk. I bought 3 dvd of windows 7 and I only used 1 dvd to install on 3 machine, but I used the 3 keys that came with the dvd
August 28, 2010 2:48:13 AM

@pat
Thank you for your reply. The disc that I have is Home Retail would this work the same way as a Home OEM disc?
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2010 2:52:10 AM

I'm not sure, but since he should have restoration disk (or maybe he has to make them itself) , if it doesnt work, he can always restore his OS. once installed,he will have 30 days before he need to activate.
m
l
August 28, 2010 2:55:43 AM

Thanks for all your help. Just out of curiosity do you know if this works for XP and Vista?
m
l
August 29, 2010 2:09:11 AM

Best answer selected by chuy_24.
m
l
August 29, 2010 3:22:35 AM

chuy_24 said:
Thanks for all your help. Just out of curiosity do you know if this works for XP and Vista?

yes. keys are not linkedd to the media.
m
l
!