Windows 7 OEM Re-Activation

chuy_24

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
:hello: Hello everyone,
This is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to post. Well my friend has bought a laptop that came with bloatware from the manufacturer that is just taking up valuable disk space. I have a Windows 7 home premium disc that I bought for my own desktop. I want to use it reformat his HDD but I know I can't use the same key. Now my question is: Is there any way of doing a clean install while still preserving OEM activation? He really doesn't want to have to purchase another key. Thank all of you in advance for your time.

Solution
if it is the same version (home OEM, ..), he can use his key with your disk. If you don't have the same version, I'M sure you can find a copy of an OEM dvd and use his key with it. Keys are not linked to disk. I bought 3 dvd of windows 7 and I only used 1 dvd to install on 3 machine, but I used the 3 keys that came with the dvd

pat

Expert
if it is the same version (home OEM, ..), he can use his key with your disk. If you don't have the same version, I'M sure you can find a copy of an OEM dvd and use his key with it. Keys are not linked to disk. I bought 3 dvd of windows 7 and I only used 1 dvd to install on 3 machine, but I used the 3 keys that came with the dvd

Solution

pat

Expert
I'm not sure, but since he should have restoration disk (or maybe he has to make them itself) , if it doesnt work, he can always restore his OS. once installed,he will have 30 days before he need to activate.