Motherboard Diagnostic Question

tsexton

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
I have a question about where to start diagnosing a system problem. I have an AMD 1800+ / Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 / 256 MD Micron 2700 DDR / ATI 9700 Video. On a Cyberpower Backup.

Machine was working fine until last week when it just shut down unexpectedly. Replaced the power supply and now when I hit the power button the CPU and Chipset Fans Spin up for about 2 seconds and stop, the RAM-LED near the power plug lights up. The power button is then disabled until I unplug the power cord -- then the RAM-LED goes out.

There is NO trouble-shooting info in Manual and no mention of the RAM-LED (if it is an error indicator) etc.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start dealing with this -- is it most likely a bad MB? Memory? CPU?

I have built several machines and have never seen anything quite like this.

Thanks for any advice,

Tim

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
You just have to start testing out piece by piece. You know the drill.

Good luck!

<font color=red>Now that I am running RAID 5 I find myself praying for a hard drive failure.</font color=red>

Truck

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
The exact same thing just happened to me. Although I didn't replace the pwr supply I tested it and it is fine. I have the exact same responses you have. The only diffence is I have an AMD 2000+/512 MB Corsair DDR/ATI All-in-wonder/no backup pwr. I get a monitor response as well for a split second with the fans and that is it. If you get anywhere let me know please.

Truck

tsexton

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Well,

I have tested a few things and it looks like the MB. I plan to switch it out and will let you know if that does the trick...

tsexton

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Thanks to everyone for their help. I replaced the motherboard with the same model and everything works fine now. So this was definitely the mother board.