Sign in with
Your question

Help with MB BIOS/ video card problem

Last response: in Motherboards
May 30, 2003 2:02:36 PM

I think it is my video card and MB BIOS at least. Anytime I go into a game, especially Quake III games, it can take 30 seconds to 2 minutes, but it will always happen: the screen will get a bunch of different colored blocks on it. I am not overclocking the video card right now...but I am overclocking the M/B (GA-8IHXP). I lost my BIOS settings and I used to O/C the 1.8 P4 to 2.4. I reset the BIOS to O/C to 2.4 again and that part seems to work fine...however I cannot seem to figure out what I need to set to get the video card or whatever is causing this to happen fixed. The card is a gainward ti4200.

Have also posted this under video cards...any help is appreciated.
May 30, 2003 7:42:50 PM

Go BAMA!
May 31, 2003 12:23:49 AM

Maybe a heat problem? Try ratcheting back to spec speeds and see if the problem goes away.

You can try installing more fans, like an exhaust right next to your AGP or a side-panel intake. Maybe upgrading the cooling on your vid card will help.

Are you running a good, stable power supply with enough wattage for your system?

I'd say try ratcheting back your FSB a little and turn up the O/C on your Gainward... that might help redistribute the overload.

Then again, maybe it's just because Gigabyte's AGP bus freaks out when saturating at high O/C speeds.

I don't know for certain that any of this will help, but those are things I would try.

-DOOM

<pre>MOV AX,0040
MOV DS,AX
MOV WORD PTR [0072],1234
CLI
JMP FFFF:0000</pre><p>
May 31, 2003 2:43:45 AM

check your memory settings while overclocking, a had a g3 that would get real wierd if i messed with the memory timings at all when overclocking,
or

rma the card.
my ti4400 all of a sudden started that crap, i called set up an rma, they sent me a few cards that werent any good, one that i wouldnt except although it worked, and in the end thay sent me a ti4600 brand new!!

if the hardware isnt working and you havent burned it up overclocking it or tweaking the fans/ heat syncs etc... just rma it.
!