Protecting My New Machine

I am a mac user and I purchased an XP machine. What should I do to protect it?
It runs beautifully and I want to keep it that way.

If you like to play around with XP you may want to get ghost so you can make
images opf your machine. This is done so you can go back to a saved image
that you know is good.

When using IE read all messages, if a message box comes up asking you to
install a program but you do not know the company DON'T INSTALL IT. If the
company name is from Microsoft, FLASH, etc. then it is up to you. Clean
your startup, keep any programs that you are not always running off. Like
AOL, RealPlayer, QuickTime, Itunes, etc. The more programs that are started
when you start your computer the slower it gets. You can use MSconfig for
this. Make sure you have an AV program and that it is kept up to date, like
Norton AV. Keep the Windows Firewall On. Make sure Windows Update is on
and every so often go to the windows update site to see what is new,
optional software installs, drivers, etc.

Hope this helps.
Most people whom have followed my suggestion have been spyware & virus free
for years.

"virtualplumber" <virtualplumber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a mac user and I purchased an XP machine. What should I do to protect
>it?
> It runs beautifully and I want to keep it that way.

May I suggest going to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx
for best practices. Be sure to watch the video!

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

"virtualplumber" <virtualplumber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a mac user and I purchased an XP machine. What should I do to protect
>it?
> It runs beautifully and I want to keep it that way.

Well...If I were you, I'd.keep using the Mac! :).

On a serious note..... take the time to learn about these, and what they
can do and how they can reduce your the risks that may compromise your
machine.

Keep your anti-virus updated (and scan frequently)

Keep your firewall active (especially on broadband)

Keep your anti-spyware updated (and scan frequently - multiple products may
also be advisable e.g. Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware (two popular
products))

Let Windows manage updating the Operating system; periodic security updates
are automatically downloaded and installed; you can do this manually from
the Windows Update site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com).

Routine maintenance like Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk (In XP it's called
"Chkdsk").

Disk CleanUp to get rid of temp internet files, cookies and the like (best
to do this ahead of doing the Defragmenting) maybe once a month or so (more
often if you do a lot of net surfing.).

Doing these regularly should keep your system in fairly tip top shape.