Hi, first timer here, sorry if Q is remedial. My virus scan detected the
W32.Spybot.Worm and could not delete it. I wrote down MS instructs for
deleting, but when I tried to backup my entire registry, I got a catastophic
error note. Virus scan was able to quarantine spybot in safe mode, so I went
into the registry to see if I could find any spybot files. But the only
common denominator in most of the Run, Run Once and Run Services files was a
file called "Windows Processe Manager" with a data of mspn32.exe, along with
some "default files" where the value was not set. I did not delete the
mspn32.exe, out of fear that it was a necessary program/file, and I left the
default files alone. Is my computer clean? Thanks, Erik

Hi,

Mspn32.exe is the virus itself, delete it and the associated registry
entries without reservation. It uses a name that appears to be a "real"
system file name in order to disguise itself, something that is very common.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Big Daddy" <Big Daddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, first timer here, sorry if Q is remedial. My virus scan detected the
> W32.Spybot.Worm and could not delete it. I wrote down MS instructs for
> deleting, but when I tried to backup my entire registry, I got a
> catastophic
> error note. Virus scan was able to quarantine spybot in safe mode, so I
> went
> into the registry to see if I could find any spybot files. But the only
> common denominator in most of the Run, Run Once and Run Services files was
> file called "Windows Processe Manager" with a data of mspn32.exe, along
> with
> some "default files" where the value was not set. I did not delete the
> mspn32.exe, out of fear that it was a necessary program/file, and I left
> the
> default files alone. Is my computer clean? Thanks, Erik

And before someone who may happen upon this thread comments on the date of
my postings, yes, I was checking something using the Date/Time Settings
calendar late last night (early this morning <g>) and inadvertently changed
the date. I have since corrected it.

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User