Startup question

March 28, 2005 2:24:42 PM

When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
Explorer' heading;
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning. How
do I find out what is causing it?
(Windows XPPro)
John

More about : startup question

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:24:43 PM

Hi,

Most likely some sort of spy or adware program is installed and invoking IE
at boot. Suggest you run these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

Also check these links for helpful advice on removing garbage:
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
> Explorer' heading;
> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
> IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
> does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning.
> How do I find out what is causing it?
> (Windows XPPro)
> John

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 6:18:43 PM

> Hi,
>
> Most likely some sort of spy or adware program is installed and invoking
> IE at boot. Suggest you run these:
>
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> Also check these links for helpful advice on removing garbage:
> http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Thanks Nutcase - I checked the possibility of spyware with AdAware and
SpyBot. This only revealed Alexa (which of course I then deleted and in any
case is not reported as having the effect I observed). The problem remained
after rebooting. Any other suggestions?

John
March 29, 2005 2:33:59 AM

Hi,

Does IE actually open, or is it just the error box? Do you have any active
web items on the desktop?

--

>> Hi,
>>
>> Most likely some sort of spy or adware program is installed and invoking
>> IE at boot. Suggest you run these:
>>
>> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
>> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>>
>> Also check these links for helpful advice on removing garbage:
>> http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm
>> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>
> Thanks Nutcase - I checked the possibility of spyware with AdAware and
> SpyBot. This only revealed Alexa (which of course I then deleted and in
> any case is not reported as having the effect I observed). The problem
> remained after rebooting. Any other suggestions?
>
> John

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:00:37 PM

> Hi,
>
> Does IE actually open, or is it just the error box? Do you have any active
> web items on the desktop?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

IE does not actually open. Nor does Firefox for that matter.It is just the
error box and it appears before my system is fully booted. I do not have any
active web items on the desktop (or indeed any items other than My Documents
/ My Computer / My Network Places / Recycle Bin).

John
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:00:38 PM

Hi John,

Please download HiJackThis from
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html, then copy/paste the log
into a reply (don't attach it as a file).

--

>> Hi,
>>
>> Does IE actually open, or is it just the error box? Do you have any
>> active web items on the desktop?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>
> IE does not actually open. Nor does Firefox for that matter.It is just the
> error box and it appears before my system is fully booted. I do not have
> any active web items on the desktop (or indeed any items other than My
> Documents / My Computer / My Network Places / Recycle Bin).
>
> John

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:56:32 PM

More information on this fault; if I hit Help button when the box appears I
get:
"Cannot find the c:\windows\system32\mshtml.hlp file. Do you want to try to
find this file yourself?"
A quick Google on this file name led me to
which makes me suppose that a DHTML page is attempting to load when I boot
up.
There is nothing in my Startup folder and no Services in services.msc or
msconfig that seem to fit the bill. I regularly clean out my Preferences
folder.
Anyone got any other ideas as to what app is trying to start?

John

"John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
> Explorer' heading;
> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
> IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task Manager
> does not reveal any running programs that might account for the warning.
> How do I find out what is causing it?
> (Windows XPPro)
> John

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:56:33 PM

Hi John,

Please see my other post, and post the "HiJack This" log as requested.

--

> More information on this fault; if I hit Help button when the box appears
> get:
> "Cannot find the c:\windows\system32\mshtml.hlp file. Do you want to try
> find this file yourself?"
> A quick Google on this file name led me to
> which makes me suppose that a DHTML page is attempting to load when I boot
> up.
> There is nothing in my Startup folder and no Services in services.msc or
> msconfig that seem to fit the bill. I regularly clean out my Preferences
> folder.
> Anyone got any other ideas as to what app is trying to start?
>
> John
>
> "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> When I boot up I get a box with the following warning under an 'Internet
>> Explorer' heading;
>> "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this
>> page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".
>> IE is not my default browser (I use Firefox). Bringing up the Task
>> Manager does not reveal any running programs that might account for the
>> warning. How do I find out what is causing it?
>> (Windows XPPro)
>> John

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:06:03 PM

Rick I think I have the answer. I found that Windows Update had somehow
re-enabled itself (I had disabled it for reasons I won't go into now) and
now that I have I re-disabled it the warning popup has gone. Evidently
Update works on a DHTML script but does not appear in the list of active
processes in Task Manager.

John

!