NJ verizon users need blue tooth, driving cell phone ban J..

Last response: in Network Providers
June 23, 2004 4:27:06 AM

NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on July
first.
I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like the
ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710 bluetooth
capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together and get
this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a BIG
market for them?
June 23, 2004 4:27:07 AM

"John213a" <john213a@aol.com> wrote in message
> NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on
July
> first.
> I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like
the
> ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710
bluetooth
> capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
> requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together
and get
> this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a
BIG
> market for them?

If it doesn't happen consider a speakerphone. I recently got a vx4500 and
the speakerphone works well with most people reporting they didn't know I
was using one. It also has a voice command system that works well.

I didn't know about the NJ ban but it is a good heads up because I am in
NJ/NY at least once a month.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:08:35 AM

<< I didn't know about the NJ ban but it is a good heads up because I am in
NJ/NY at least once a month.

The fine is supposed to be a stiff $250.00
But it is a secondary offense, supposedly they can't pull you over for the cell
phone use, but when they pull you over for anything else, they can add the cell
phone use charge. And when ever was a cop at a loss for a reason to pull
someone over? I can hear the screaming already.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:08:36 AM

> << I didn't know about the NJ ban but it is a good heads up because I am
in
> NJ/NY at least once a month.
> >>

> The fine is supposed to be a stiff $250.00
> But it is a secondary offense, supposedly they can't pull you over for the
cell
> phone use, but when they pull you over for anything else, they can add the
cell
> phone use charge. And when ever was a cop at a loss for a reason to pull
> someone over? I can hear the screaming already.

I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth
phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places for
about $125). It is rechargeable, weighs less than an ounce, fits in your
ear, and the mouthpiece tube only extends about halfway down your cheek
towards your mouth (means you can still eat/smoke/drink etc), and from
people I have talked to while using it, say it sounds great!. It can not
only work on almost every cellphone made (use the 2.5 MM jack, and the phone
can be used on any providers phones), but I have taken the bottom half
(charger and normally plugs into the cellphone) and used it on cordless
phones, PDA's, Computers with sound cards for internet calls etc. Check it
out at: www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_nonBluetooth.htm

Personally, considering the fine is about double what the Jabra non
Bluetooth wireless headset costs, works with almost any phone/any carrier, I
can't understand why anyone would want anything else!
June 23, 2004 12:09:47 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message

> I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth

I originally got the speakerphone for a different reason (no not to pretend
I was captain commando with my nextel...). I am often on site and sometimes
need to have someone else participate in a short call. I can put it on
speakerphone and set it on a desk. That way I don't need to be the man in
the middle relaying what each person is saying.

As a side benefit I found that the speakerphone works well in the car.

> phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places for
> about $125). It is rechargeable, weighs less than an ounce, fits in your
> ear, and the mouthpiece tube only extends about halfway down your cheek
> towards your mouth (means you can still eat/smoke/drink etc), and from
> people I have talked to while using it, say it sounds great!. It can not
> only work on almost every cellphone made (use the 2.5 MM jack, and the
phone
> can be used on any providers phones), but I have taken the bottom half
> (charger and normally plugs into the cellphone) and used it on cordless
> phones, PDA's, Computers with sound cards for internet calls etc. Check it
> out at: www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_nonBluetooth.htm
>
> Personally, considering the fine is about double what the Jabra non
> Bluetooth wireless headset costs, works with almost any phone/any carrier,
> can't understand why anyone would want anything else!

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:09:19 PM

In article <20040622202706.05845.00000249@mb-m27.aol.com>,
john213a@aol.com says...
> NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on July
> first.
> I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like the
> ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710 bluetooth
> capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
> requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together and get
> this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a BIG
> market for them?

As the boys on Car Talk say - "Hang up and drive."
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:13:29 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:54:58 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
>If it doesn't happen consider a speakerphone. I recently got a vx4500 and
>the speakerphone works well with most people reporting they didn't know I
>was using one. It also has a voice command system that works well.

You use your VX4500 in a car? Since the speaker is on the back, do you
have any problems with cloth seats muffling the sound?
June 23, 2004 2:13:30 PM

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:54:58 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
> >If it doesn't happen consider a speakerphone. I recently got a vx4500 and
> >the speakerphone works well with most people reporting they didn't know I
> >was using one. It also has a voice command system that works well.
>
> You use your VX4500 in a car? Since the speaker is on the back, do you
> have any problems with cloth seats muffling the sound?

No, the only issue I have had with the speaker on the back is the ringing
sound is attenuated when it is in the belt clip because it faces your
clothing.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:16:34 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:38:44 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote:
>I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
>phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth
>phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places for
>about $125).

With phones going for as little as $5 each, does it really make sense to
spend $125 for a wireless headset?
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:24:56 PM

Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth
> phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places for
> about $125).

I got a beta unit when Jabra was testing them... it didn't work. At all.

The production units are probably fine; Jabra doesn't build junk. But I wasn't
willing to pay $125 for a handsfree anyhow, so I will never know :)

June 23, 2004 6:40:42 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:38:44 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:

> I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> phone.

My Moto car speakerphone is useful to me in two instances, when others are
in the car and need to hear the conversation, and when I want to use my
digital voice recorder to capture important information while I'm driving
and can't pull over to write it down.

The earpiece approach works well for many, but not as well as the
speakerphone does for me.

And, oh yes, it cost a lot less than the Jabra you described.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:40:43 PM

"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:38:44 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> > phone.
>
> My Moto car speakerphone is useful to me in two instances, when others are
> in the car and need to hear the conversation, and when I want to use my
> digital voice recorder to capture important information while I'm driving
> and can't pull over to write it down.
>
> The earpiece approach works well for many, but not as well as the
> speakerphone does for me.
>
> And, oh yes, it cost a lot less than the Jabra you described.

I forgot to mention, that I'm single and work as a consultant for my own
business. Don't need to share/use a speakerphone, but I can see the point
for people that need to share. It works great for me in my circumstances and
I think it's neat that it not only works on my cellphone, but almost every
other device I have.
June 23, 2004 9:30:45 PM

"John213a" <john213a@aol.com> wrote in message
> NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on
July
> first.
> I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like
the
> ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710
bluetooth
> capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
> requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together
and get
> this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a
BIG
> market for them?

710 set to be released in 2 weeks. Motorola has a BT adapter that fits all
their v series phones that ebables use of BT headset. And of course there
is always installed car kits that work great that can be bought for just
about any Verizon phone.

KC
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 2:36:07 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:30:45 GMT, _KC_ wrote:

> 710 set to be released in 2 weeks. Motorola has a BT adapter that fits all
> their v series phones that ebables use of BT headset. And of course there
> is always installed car kits that work great that can be bought for just
> about any Verizon phone.

Motorola DC600 BT adapter:

"Audio & Data support: Compatible with Motorola T720, T720i, T720c, T721,
T722, T722i, T730, T731, V400, V300, V60p, V60i series, V60it Color, V60x,
V66i, E310, V810, V120t, V120x and V120e phones

Audio support only: Compatible with Motorola V60c, V60t, V60g, V120c, V66,
and V70 phones "

Not bad for $40!

http://commerce.motorola.com
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:29:32 PM

Sorry...you won't see this phone for months....maybe before Christmas time.

"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message

> "John213a" <john213a@aol.com> wrote in message
> > NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on
> July
> > first.
> > I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like
> the
> > ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710
> bluetooth
> > capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
> > requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together
> and get
> > this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a
> BIG
> > market for them?
>

> 710 set to be released in 2 weeks. Motorola has a BT adapter that fits
all
> their v series phones that ebables use of BT headset. And of course there
> is always installed car kits that work great that can be bought for just
> about any Verizon phone.
>

> KC

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:30:49 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:29:32 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:

>Sorry...you won't see this phone for months....maybe before Christmas time.

Your source? Or is that speculation?
---
"As a solution, I advocate porn!"
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 3:13:34 AM

It's from years of experience with this company. Almost %100 of the time a
good phone is suppose to be released it's pushed back for weeks or months.
Either it's a ploy to drive gadget people crazy do they will BUY the phone
no matter what or there's other issues or problems we're not aware of that
aren't posted to the public. My assumption is that it has some thing to do
with money some where along the line.

"Dirk McGurk" <er9jf09r3c9rcu@XR4TU.BITNET> wrote in message
news:p vhmd0d208ee6o1c9ndmjbhu5n0qe9c16q@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:29:32 -0400, "Killer Madness"
> <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry...you won't see this phone for months....maybe before Christmas
time.

> Your source? Or is that speculation?
> ---
> "As a solution, I advocate porn!"
June 28, 2004 6:35:03 PM

"Killer Madness" <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote in message
> Sorry...you won't see this phone for months....maybe before Christmas
time.

That is your opinion based on nothing that means anything. I know
differently. The phone will be out soon.

KC
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:39:41 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:38:44 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:

> I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth
> phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places for
> about $125).

New ones going on eBay for around $65.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:39:42 AM

"Strongbox" <strongbox@no.mail> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:38:44 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why ANYone would want a Bluetooth phone, or a speaker
> > phone. I have been using the Jabra Freespeak (BT-200 for NON-bluetooth
> > phones) wireless headset for over a year (Available at multiple places
for
> > about $125).
>
> New ones going on eBay for around $65.

Cool.. $60 cheaper is 60 more reasons **NOT** to use a bluetooth or speaker
phone :)
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 4:36:56 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:25:39 GMT, "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote:

>them in yesterday. I don't have an exact date for the 710 yet but it has
>completed testing. Waiting on Verizon now to decide release date.

Any idea on price?
June 30, 2004 9:53:44 PM

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:25:39 GMT, "_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote:
>
> >them in yesterday. I don't have an exact date for the 710 yet but it has
> >completed testing. Waiting on Verizon now to decide release date.
>
> Any idea on price?

I think it will be comparable to the 7000 but I am just guessing.

KC
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 5:43:47 AM

John213a wrote:

> NJ will join NY in the ban against hand held cell phone while driving on July
> first.
> I want to use a bluetooth cord free headset, I have tried and don't like the
> ones with wires. Last I heard that the release of the Motorola 710 bluetooth
> capable phone was between "doubtful" and early fall. The hands free
> requirement starts July first. Anyway Verizon can get its act together and get
> this phone out there for us to use in NJ and NY which I would guess is a BIG
> market for them?

Get off the phone and drive?

If lawmakers think holding the phone makes any difference, they've
obviously never experienced the annoyance of getting a nice chunk of
hair ripped out by some horrible piece of engineering they call an earpiece.

And yes, I have a Jabra earbud. Half the time the rubber part is AWOL,
parked somewhere under a seat - somewhere not safe to go investigating
while driving. The other half the time I do manage to find the rubber
part without going seat spelunking, and get a chance to rip some hair out.

But really, do you think you're at the top of your 'driving game' when
yacking on the cellphone? If the answer is 'yes', you're fooling
yourself. Don't be a fool.

JS
July 1, 2004 11:45:57 AM

In AZ my current abode--I even at my advanced age
become alert, agile, and spry when in areas with
automobile traffic such as shopping malls, parking
lots, etc. I'm quick to get out of the way of women
drivers with big Cadillac Escalades who have one
eye on their surroundings, one hand on the steering
wheel, one hand holding the phone to the ear, but
with a far-away glazed look which does not spot
pedestrians and other "obstacles." In the future all
females will probably be born with some kind of
biological wireless communication device built
in. Television news reports have it that just
"talking" on a cell-phone will be unlawful in
some areas. We will need new "correctional
facilities" to handle the overflow of cellular-ites.
May justice prevail!!!
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 5:37:31 AM

On one of our gripe radio talkstations, the other day, cellphones were the
topic of conversation for a segment.

Quoted on the segment was a report created for the safety bureaucrats in
the State of New York. The number one cause of driver inattention by a
long mile was PASSENGERS, especially children. Number two was EATING while
driving. Number three was READING while driving. Cellphones were way down
the list around 11 or 12, but to listen to the supporters in any
legislature, you'd think they were number one by a long shot. They're
not....

So, the conclusion was that we must start at the TOP of the list, banning
PASSENGERS, especially children. Then we must ban food from the passenger
compartment like we do beer/wine/booze. All food must be stored in the
trunk. Then, all reading materials, including cutesy navigation equipment
built into the cars, GPSs, MAPS, travel guides, books, letters, anything
with printing on it, must be stored in the trunk, also, to be transported.

After we ban the first 11 items on the list, THEN, we can go after those
cellphones. It's only fair, isn't it?

Larry

NOTHING is more dangerous than a teenage driver cruising around with
his/HER friends in the Corolla.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 9:41:28 AM

Can I transfer phone numbers from MS outlook to the 710 via infrared
or a data cable?

--Scott

!