Rain keeps killing my signal, any ideas? Tips?

Hello,

I've got a link set up between a USB-adapter with an external antenna,
mounted on the outside of my house, and a Cisco AP 100 meters away.
There are some trees in the way. The antenna is a +9dB, 40deg or
something, flat panel.

When the weather is fine, sun, clear weather, i get about -86db
signal, with a SNratio of about 10, which makes it about 2-3,5Mbit to
the Internet.

BUT, when it starts raining, I lose the link :( very bad SN-ratio and
about -98db signal, which makes it impossible to get any data through.

Strange thing is that when the rain stops, it takes about an hour
before the link is up again.

So, questions are:

1. Any way to prevent the link from going down? Better antenna?
Different type of antenna?

2. Why the one hour delay?

3. What will happen when the winter gets here? Leafs will be of the
trees, so I guess thats a good thing, but if rain kills the link I
guess snow will too? And what about the cold weather? -10 degrees
celcius. Only the antenna is outside.

Thanks for any input on this! :)

--
xlazyx
More about rain killing signal ideas tips

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:05:18 GMT, xlazyx
    <xlazyx.1c80eb@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >Strange thing is that when the rain stops, it takes about an hour
    >before the link is up again.

    That's not rain fade. That's water inside the radio or coax cable.
    at 2.4Ghz any moisture is like a short circuit. Methinks you have a
    leak somewhere.

    >1. Any way to prevent the link from going down? Better antenna?
    >Different type of antenna?

    Weatherproof enclosure, better seals at the coax connectors, self
    draining antenna feed, pressurized coax cable, conformal coat the RF
    circuitry, etc. Anything to keep the water out.

    You might wanna measure or calculate your fade margin.
    http://www.ydi.com/calculation/som.php
    My guess is that your path is very marginal and that only a slight bit
    of attenuation will cause it to totally fail. Do whatever it takes to
    improve the fade margin.

    >2. Why the one hour delay?

    That's how long it takes for the accumulated water to either drip dry
    or evaporate.

    >3. What will happen when the winter gets here? Leafs will be of the
    >trees, so I guess thats a good thing, but if rain kills the link I
    >guess snow will too? And what about the cold weather? -10 degrees
    >celcius. Only the antenna is outside.

    The water inside the coax cable or antenna feed will freeze, expand,
    enlarge the entry point, and turn a small leak into a major problem.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    xlazyx <xlazyx.1c80eb@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > Strange thing is that when the rain stops, it takes about an hour
    > before the link is up again.

    That sounds like a bad connection, not weatherproof. Is your flat panel an
    outdoor antenna, or indoor?

    --
    ---

    "xlazyx" <xlazyx.1c80eb@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a link set up between a USB-adapter with an external antenna,
    > mounted on the outside of my house, and a Cisco AP 100 meters away.
    > There are some trees in the way. The antenna is a +9dB, 40deg or
    > something, flat panel.
    >
    > When the weather is fine, sun, clear weather, i get about -86db
    > signal, with a SNratio of about 10, which makes it about 2-3,5Mbit to
    > the Internet.
    >
    > BUT, when it starts raining, I lose the link :( very bad SN-ratio and
    > about -98db signal, which makes it impossible to get any data through.
    >
    > Strange thing is that when the rain stops, it takes about an hour
    > before the link is up again.
    >
    > So, questions are:
    >
    > 1. Any way to prevent the link from going down? Better antenna?
    > Different type of antenna?

    Opitons:

    1 Cut down the tree(s). You need line of sight for reliable operation, and
    each leaf is about 12db of loss.
    2. Move the antenna(s) to get LOS.

    > 2. Why the one hour delay?

    The trees are drip-drying.

    > 3. What will happen when the winter gets here? Leafs will be of the
    > trees, so I guess thats a good thing, but if rain kills the link I
    > guess snow will too? And what about the cold weather? -10 degrees
    > celcius. Only the antenna is outside.

    The cold weather won't bother the antenna, but snow does cause loss. Do
    whatever you must to get line of sight.

    HTH.

    William

    (Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)

    As others suggested, moving the antenna to get Line of Site is best, but
    if that is not possible, I would recommend a better antenna and making
    sure that any connections that are outside (between antenna and coax,
    etc.) are protected. Something use for protecting the connections is
    wrapping a couple layers of electrical tape around all the connections.
    This is to keep water from getting in the coax which will degrade your
    signal.

    --
    Casisiempre

    get a better antenna (14db), make sure it's outdoor rated

    weather proof all of your connection points. (rubber tape and
    electrical tape)

    trees are nothing, I cut through them all the time. just need more
    power

    good luck

    oh yeah and by the way -86 is a terrible connection. you need at least
    -70 or better. I usually try for -60 or better.

    100 metres is nothing for distance. you should be able to stick to it
    no problem. i have a 500m link set up with a 5db antenna and 100mW
    radio card. NLOS (no line of site)

    --
    wifi_hunter

Internet Wireless Networking