mktman

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I was just about to order my setup when I came across the Abit temp issue. Browsing the Abit boards, I even found trouble with Kingston HyperX. Now I'm really nuts! I'm stretching to buy this setup and must get it right the first time. Please give me some guidence.

Abit IS7
P4 2.8C Retail (w/ fan)
(2) Kingstone DDR400 256MB HyperX P3200
(2) WD800JBRTL 80GB ATA Drives
Promise FastTrak TX2000 ATA Raid (will run Raid 1)
Liteon LTR-52246S CD-RW

I will NOT OC it and it must be rock solid.

Is the combination OK?
Will the P4 2.8C be OK with the stock fan?

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
hey mktman,

here's my take ... had high temps with similar setup as you (see sig). Not doing any OC'ing either. When I replaced (just today) my STOCK HSF with a SLK900-U and a 92mm fan... my LOAD temps seem good (or within reason for me anyway but maybe not compared to other mobos/cpus etc...).

Quick example - and read the Abit boards and you might see a lot more-

Running Stock - bios 11 - no OC'ing -
Idle - 49-52 C +/- (depended on room temps)
Load - 65-75 C +/- (load would be games)
Room temps - 76-80F

Now -with SLK900 and 92mm fan blowin' away & as3 ...
Idle - 50C (so far!)
Load - 58C

I can handle the 8 Cs bump up ... but previous there was a 20-25C temp JUMP ... that is way out of control.

Also, running Prime95 - ran it a couple of times today ... once for 30 min ... no prob ... second time for 1.5 hour... no prob.

Running Sandra Burn-in now ... going on 9th time ... system fine. Temp around 49.50 C right now.

From my perspective, system SO FAR is awesome. The HSF helped my temp issues. Everything else is good too ...

However, as you note on the Kingston, I saw a lot of people talking about that brand and them having issues. I went with Corsair and seems to be working great.

I'm IC7-G ...

I would lose the RETAIL FAN for *something* better and with AS3 or some other thermal compound.

Now, I DID have people tell me and writers of reviews etc... say that the "high temps" issue is something to expect from Abit mobos ... and that the stock fan would be fine. I have NEVER cared about temps before - always had a DELL (or something) and just plugged it in and went. But, after learning more about all this and building it myself, I'd spend some extra $$s and get me some sort of better cooler. Just my opinion.

And, read more on that Kingston and see what people say -- I'd try for the Corsair PC3500C2 myself ... 'cause I'm doing ok with it.

hth. -ot

IC7-G 1.1| P4 2.8 800 | SLK900-U / 92mm Fan (AS3) | 2x512mb Corsair PC3500C2 | 2x120gb SG SATA RAID 0 | CM ATC201B-SXT | 520W | Radeon 9800 Pro | Audigy2