Screensaver is not what I selected

Greetings all,

I am a long time Mac user, but a first time XP Professional user. To
complicate matters, the XP machines I must administer are run under a
language I am not fluent in. Such are the joys of life overseas...

My problem is this, the screensaver I want to appear (3D text featuring our
company's logo) doesn't. Instead, the screen is black and the Microsoft XP
Professional logo pops in and out about the screen. I don't know why.

When there was only one account for each machine the personalized
screensaver appeared without trouble. Ever since I added an additional
account though, the screensaver I want has been banished.

The log in screen no doubt has a name, but I'm not familiar with the
terminology. I see the names of the accounts I can log in as, along with a
little icon to the side of each name. After a few minutes, this screen
disappears and the previously mentioned XP logo appears. Some time after
that, the screen goes dark -- I imagine it went into some kind of energy
saving mode.

I have checked, and both accounts on the machines have the exact same
screensaver set up. However, it doesn't appear.

I would like to know, is it possible to get my desired screensaver to appear
when there are multiple accounts on a machine? If so, how? If not, why not?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Tim
8 answers Last reply
More about screensaver selected

    From the welcome screen, the screen saver activated is
    the default XP logo. Individual users can choose their
    own.
    This little program, courtesy of Doug Knox will alow you
    to change the default screensaver to whichever one you
    choose.

    http://www.dougknox.com/
    WinXP Utilities
    Change the Default Screen Saver

    Does this unwanted Screensaver (WinXP logo) comes up when no-one is logged
    on. What screensaver comes on when someone is logged on? I have read in
    these groups that you can change the default "not_logged_on" screensaver
    from the default on, but I don't remember how, as I'm only user and
    autologon..

    Found one at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_logonscr.htm

    If the problem is in a "logged_on" situation, one of these user have set
    the screensaver to default Fix at same place
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm

    There's a lot of other goodies there www.dougknox.com -> WinXP utilities

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Timchi" <Timchi@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I am a long time Mac user, but a first time XP Professional user. To
    > complicate matters, the XP machines I must administer are run under a
    > language I am not fluent in. Such are the joys of life overseas...
    >
    > My problem is this, the screensaver I want to appear (3D text featuring
    our
    > company's logo) doesn't. Instead, the screen is black and the Microsoft
    XP
    > Professional logo pops in and out about the screen. I don't know why.
    >
    > When there was only one account for each machine the personalized
    > screensaver appeared without trouble. Ever since I added an additional
    > account though, the screensaver I want has been banished.
    >
    > The log in screen no doubt has a name, but I'm not familiar with the
    > terminology. I see the names of the accounts I can log in as, along with
    > little icon to the side of each name. After a few minutes, this screen
    > disappears and the previously mentioned XP logo appears. Some time after
    > that, the screen goes dark -- I imagine it went into some kind of energy
    > saving mode.
    >
    > I have checked, and both accounts on the machines have the exact same
    > screensaver set up. However, it doesn't appear.
    >
    > I would like to know, is it possible to get my desired screensaver to
    appear
    > when there are multiple accounts on a machine? If so, how? If not, why
    not?

    > I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    >
    > Tim

    Johnny,

    > From the welcome screen, the screen saver activated is
    > the default XP logo. Individual users can choose their
    > own.

    This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it's nice to know. I think
    there should be some kind of general screensaver, but maybe that'll come in a
    future OS.

    > This little program, courtesy of Doug Knox will alow you
    > to change the default screensaver to whichever one you
    > choose.
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/
    > WinXP Utilities
    > Change the Default Screen Saver

    Thank you for this! I think this might be the tool I need. I'll give it a
    look over in the coming days.

    Tim

    Thomas,

    > Does this unwanted Screensaver (WinXP logo) comes up when no-one is logged
    > on.

    Yes, that's exactly when it comes on.

    What screensaver comes on when someone is logged on?

    The personalized screensaver that I've set up comes on in these situations.

    >I have read in
    > these groups that you can change the default "not_logged_on" screensaver
    > from the default on, but I don't remember how, as I'm only user and
    > autologon..
    >
    > Found one at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_logonscr.htm
    >
    > If the problem is in a "logged_on" situation, one of these user have set
    > the screensaver to default Fix at same place
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm
    >

    > There's a lot of other goodies there www.dougknox.com -> WinXP utilities

    That you for the link. I'll follow up on those pages. There looks to be a
    lot of good stuff there, and I think that utility you and Johnny mentioned
    should do the trick.

    Tim

    For more information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314493
    Change the Windows Logon Screen Saver in Windows XP

    Timchi wrote:
    > Thomas,
    >
    >> Does this unwanted Screensaver (WinXP logo) comes up when no-one is
    >> logged on.
    >
    > Yes, that's exactly when it comes on.
    >
    > What screensaver comes on when someone is logged on?
    >
    > The personalized screensaver that I've set up comes on in these
    > situations.
    >
    >> I have read in
    >> these groups that you can change the default "not_logged_on"
    >> screensaver from the default on, but I don't remember how, as I'm
    >> only user and autologon..
    >>
    >> Found one at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_logonscr.htm
    >>
    >> If the problem is in a "logged_on" situation, one of these user
    >> have set the screensaver to default Fix at same place
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm
    >>

    >> There's a lot of other goodies there www.dougknox.com -> WinXP
    >> utilities
    >
    > That you for the link. I'll follow up on those pages. There looks
    > to be a lot of good stuff there, and I think that utility you and
    > Johnny mentioned should do the trick.
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Taurarian,

    > For more information:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314493
    > Change the Windows Logon Screen Saver in Windows XP

    This is going to sound strange, but how do I view that page in English? I
    click on the given link and the page opens, but everything is in Korean. I'm
    sure that has something to do with the fact that I live in Korea, but I don't
    read Korean well enough to understand what's written...

    I've had this happen to me on more than one Microsoft support page. It
    really annoys me, because I'm guessing MS gives me a Korean page based on
    either my location or my browser (Korean localized version of Firefox) --
    neither of which is indicative of what I want.

    Sigh...

    Tim

    You are telling the web sites that you want Korean. Tools - Internet Options - Languages. The top language is what will be supplied.

    "Timchi" <Timchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:685F9C54-77A4-4B5C-ADAA-51BA34632218@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Taurarian,
    >
    >> For more information:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314493
    >> Change the Windows Logon Screen Saver in Windows XP
    >
    > This is going to sound strange, but how do I view that page in English? I
    > click on the given link and the page opens, but everything is in Korean. I'm
    > sure that has something to do with the fact that I live in Korea, but I don't
    > read Korean well enough to understand what's written...
    >
    > I've had this happen to me on more than one Microsoft support page. It
    > really annoys me, because I'm guessing MS gives me a Korean page based on
    > either my location or my browser (Korean localized version of Firefox) --
    > neither of which is indicative of what I want.
    >
    > Sigh...
    >
    > Tim

    David,

    > You are telling the web sites that you want Korean. Tools - Internet Options - Languages. The top language is what will be supplied.

    Thank you! It took a little bit to find the proper option (I don't read
    Korean all that well), but now things are working well.

    Thanks!

    Tim

Screensaver Microsoft Windows XP