SOUND

I have been running Windows XP Home Edition for about 3
weeks. It has been running great, BUT when I sign on in
the last few days there is no introduction music; no
internal warning sounds concerning pop-ups that I used to
get, and no sound at all from any videos. I have checked
the speakers, and volume controls. What am I not doing;
What should I check? and how? Thanks to all...Doug

check the sound and audio in control panel.
Go to Start>control panel>sounds and audio devices, click on the sound tab,
and highlight each event you want a sound associated with, then check the
corresponding sound choices. If you see that they are indeed there, but
clicking the preview produces no sound, post back.
Also, check device manager
go to Start>My computer>right click-properties>hardware tab>device manager.
See if there are any warning marks, either yellow or red.

When you say you checked the volume controls, make sure you don't have the
volume set to MUTE, check this by right clicking the volume icon in the
notification area. The notification area is in the very bottom right of
your screen along the taskbar. If you don't immediately see the volume
icon, click on the small arrows << which will expand, briefly, that area.