Insert system disk and press enter? help!

korn3232

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
this may seem like an easy question but im 14 and i've just built my first pc.i have a nVidia nForce220D A7N266-VM/AA and when i turn on the computer it says at the bottom of the screen to "insert system disk and press enter".what does this mean, i know its telling me to insert a floppy but what floppy, i would appreciate any help and would really appreciate a walkthrough.
thank you so much
justin

centigrade

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need to load the OS to the hard drive. Set BIOS to boot from CD first, then hard drive. Now put your operating system CD in the drive and follow the instructions...unless you're using Windows 98SE or earlier...

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
If the boot sequence begins with a floppy disk (as set in BIOS) and if there's no one, shouldn't BIOS automatically search the HD for an OS loading?

Couldn't this be a bad MBR issue? Sometimes an aborted Windows installation may be the cause.

/\/\ito

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you have to have windows on the hard drive before you can boot to windows off a hard drive! I have the feeling his hard drive is unpartitioned.

WinXP will partition it properly, automatically, but Win98SE and earlier would make a 2GB partition by default, so he would need to run fdisk and format first.

Either way, he doesn't need a floppy for that, he can boot from CD if he picks that option in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>