New ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - Problem

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Just received a new Asus A7N8X Deluxe, AMD 2500+ (Barton), 512 MB Corsair PC3200 Ram, and a WD Raptor harddrive yesterday. I have a Koolance water cooled case. Now, here is the question - Removed old MotherBoard (SOYO Dragon Plus!) and installed new ASUS MB, connected water cooling blocks to the CPU & MB chipset. Installed only the AGP Graphics card (Nvida FX 5200) and a PCI modem for starters, to bring the system up. When I try to boot system my monitor (Green type) never turns on (stays in sleep mode). So I checked the AGP card and found the the fan on the Graphics heat sink was not even spinning (indicating no power or a bad card). So I ran out to the store and bought a ATI Radeon 9200. Tried to boot and same thing happened. So I unseated the AGP card and re seated it several times, still no video, also have never gotten a MB beep or any Voice messages from the MB (MB has Voice error system). I know the ASUS MB requires an 8x (1.5 volt) AGP card, and I am sure that both the above cards comply with this.

Does everyone think the AGP slot is bad? The whole MB, CPU & RAM were supposedly tested by the vendor before shipping to me.

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Update to above post. I tried an old PCI Graphics card in a PCI slot and get same results as above. Basically I am getting no POST (Power On Self Test).

Also, I thought I should tell you that I have nothing connected to the Primary IDE Channel. I am trying to boot to a CD and load Windows XP Pro on to my SATA WD Raptor drive. Should I try connecting something to the Primary IDE channel?

Thanks,

Tom

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
i had the exact same problem on the same mobo, turned out, the power cord to my mobo wasnt seated properly, and when i stood up my tower, it fell off

course you might have checked that, but its a thought
oh, i cant remeber, but does the 5200 require a power plug?

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
stealth_blade,
No, neither of the Graphics cards I used required a power plug.

It is funny that you should mention the Power header cable not being seated properly. I was rebuilding my daughters computer tonight after I gave up on my own rebuild, and I had power problems. It turned out to be 2 things. 1st thing was the Power Header cable to the MB, it was real hard to push into the MB and found that Pin #1 had pushed itself back in to the connector. 2nd thing was that when the original power supply blew up it smoked the MB, CPU & Hard drive. I did not realize the Hard drive had smoked as well and was trying to use it in the rebuilt system, turns out that it was making the new Enermax power suppy shut down. It would give me some power just enough to spin the fans for less than 1 second.

Well now I am finishing loading XP on my daughters computer and will tackle the above mentioned problem with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe tomorrow.

Anyone else got any ideas for me????

Thanks,

Tom

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I've heard great things about that Raptor. Tell me how it does with that system, I'm thinking about getting one to become my new C drive.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>

ezzlar

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
I agree with Bosse. I read on a swedish internet computer sale site that they did not recommend people to mix Nforce2 and Western Digital. The error is random depending on the firmware version.... (or something like that).

If you know Swedish :)
www.datorbutiken.com

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
Also there is a problem with early version of Corsair PC3200 and A7N8X that makes the computer behave just like that !!!

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Update - I have swapped EVERY part on the MOBO (CPU, RAM, Video Card) with proven working parts and stripped the MOBO down to the bare bones minimum to boot it and still have yet to get it to boot. Heck, I can not even get it to give me error beeps when I leave out the RAM or the video Card.

The RAM I swapped into the board for a test was OCZ PC2700. I also tested the Corsair PC3200 on another ASUS A78NX Deluxe board and it worked fine. ASUS reccommends this module that I bought. I specifically spec'ed it by the Corsair part #.

I finally got the supplier to RMA the board for me.

Thanks to all - I will keep you updated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NAUIdvr1 on 06/02/03 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Put the Soyo Dragon Plus! into my daughter's computer and it is up and running fine. Used it all day today.

NAUIdvr1

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
i hope thats not true since i just orderd one !!!

I thought SATA WD was ok !!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bosse on 06/03/03 08:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ezzlar

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
Windows demands that you use the primary HD for installation. If you dont have a HD the screen wont wake or computer boot. I disabled my hd in my system like yours and got no boot.

nauidvr1

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Windows does not care if you have a primary hard drive. You have the option of pressing F6 during the installing files process to load SCSI drivers or 3rd party drivers, which will allow it to recognize whatever type of drive you have placed as the boot drive.

Alstair

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Question. What is the wattage on your power supply. While my computer would still turn on, when i first got my Geforce4 Ti4400, my power supply was only a 300W and the graphics card would not work. I'd recommend at least a 350W, maybe a 400W with that system considering you have that water cooling system too. Try upgrading it if this is the case. BTW. The GeforceFX 5200 Ultra and the Radeon 9200 both suck unless you're not a big gamer. I'd still say just go buy the Geforce4 Ti4200 8x. Gets better performance and is cheaper.