Hi, installed an xp upgrade on my home computer and it was a disaster. I
couldn't even open my control panels after the installation. I finally
managed to uninstall it, and tried putting it on my laptop instead. However,
the software will no longer accept my product activation code. Am I out $100?

Troubleshooting invalid CD key error message during Windows XP setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

Windows XP Setup Reverts to the Welcome Screen When You Enter the Product Key
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812204

All you'll have to do is "activate" Windows XP after
installing it on your laptop. You'll be prompted
to "activate" via the internet. If that procedure fails,
then follow the procedure to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

Description of Microsoft Product Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"xpconfused" wrote:

| Hi, installed an xp upgrade on my home computer and it was a disaster. I
| couldn't even open my control panels after the installation. I finally
| managed to uninstall it, and tried putting it on my laptop instead. However,
| the software will no longer accept my product activation code. Am I out $100?

No, you are not out $100.
Exactly what message did you get?
Do you get invalid Product Key when you enter the key?
If so it has nothing to do with entering the key before.
Look very closely, sometimes O-0, B-8, l-1 and others look alike.
Have someone else try, sometimes another set of eyes and fingers can get it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"xpconfused" <xpconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, installed an xp upgrade on my home computer and it was a disaster. I
> couldn't even open my control panels after the installation. I finally
> managed to uninstall it, and tried putting it on my laptop instead.
> However,
> the software will no longer accept my product activation code. Am I out
> $100?

TRENDING THREADS