nf7-s or a7n8x deluxe?

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I'm deciding which one do purchase. I've never owned an Abit mb. I believe both are top of the line mb and will yield the same performance.

I'm looking forward to Doom3. Should I wait a few more months until a new ddr440 mb is released?

Thanks

/\/\ito

ridicule

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
Firstly, my own is 2700 Xp, A7N8X Deluxe, Kingston DDR 400 512 Dual setup. WD 80gb, G4 ti 4800se. Now that its working properly its fine and very fast BUT I will never buy another Asus after this one. The instability and lack of support and disbelief of the shop I purchased it from that their was even any problem with these boards pissed me off immensely. From what I have read the A7N8X is now "Langalists" No.1 worst flash motherboard. Yes I have it working, yes it's fast but I possess zero faith in this machine because of the constant BSOD, turning itself on and off, true ghost in the machine stuff that I went through for the first 6 weeks of its life. At this point I am not averse to getting a Canterwood/Intel setup. Buyer beware. Do search of other forums and you will start to see how many of us there are. If you want your hopes dashed mate....by all means be my guest BUT at this point the Abit is looking good.
Goodluck

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I'mnot saying ASUS is perfect, but I try to break down your message here. First thing first, the unstability. You use PC3200 RAM so I assume you should run them in sync with your CPU, thus you are overclock your CPU as well as mobo to 200MHz. Overclocking is a case by case scenario, while there are people lucky enough to push to extreme but some people are just don't have lady luck with them. If you overclock to 200MHz and you face problem you can blame no one. OK, if you actually underclock your RAM then all the above statement are nonsense, but there are cases that when you underclock the RAM to try to achieve lower timing, you'll end up in CMOS resetting. I'm one of them, my RAM can only run at 2-3-3-6 or 2.5-3-3-7, either at stock (166MHz), higher, or lower frequency; anything else I'll have to open my case and clear the CMOS. For the customer support, I couldn't comment more but every company face the same problem, that's bad customer support from distributors. The manufacturers have limited or no control over the local distributors about their service. But manufacturers themselves also have problem like slow response or completely ignore, and none of the manufacturers can 100% guarantee you a valid solution. There is no company who never got complain for bad customer service. It's true there are many problem on ASUS A7N8X series mobo simply because they sell the most. Imagine if everyone is driving Ferrari, so all those road accidents will have Ferrari involved, can you say Ferrari is the worst car ever because they alway crash? Until now, most Asus based problems I've heard are overclocking problem, or RAM problem if running in default setting. Like I said before you can blame nobody for overclocking problem. For the RAM, it's one of the nForce2 chipset common problem, and the funny thing is people will say go for Corsair for the best quality and most stable performance, and overclockability. But most of those who has problem are using Corsair RAM... hmmm, what does this story tell us? Don't get me wrong, I'll still recommend Corsair RAM but before the memory problem comes to a conclusion, there are no guarantee on this. And I agree with you on Abit mobo, but I'll say MSI is one of the best, if not the best nForce2 mobo. Anyway, all of above are just my opinion, and I may be wrong, so pardon me.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Interesting take, TKH. I would have attributed his problems it to the Kingston RAM and the various bad reviews and instability issues posted about it.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've been using NF7-S for a few months (it's rev 1.0 though), and very satisfied with it.
NF7-S rev 1.0
Athlon XP2100+ (TBred B) oc to 2255MHz (167*13.5)
2 of 256MB Samsung PC2700 clk2.5 and not having any problem at all.
ATi Radeon 9500 Pro (love it).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.