agp/pci lock tutorial

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I've read warnings about hd data corruption caused by OC. Is this really true or only heavy overclockers should be aware? Links are welcomed. Thanks again.

/\/\ito

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it is true. Overclockers know this. In fact, I have experienced this myself on several occasions. I've even seen some older drives DIE from having the PCI clock set too high!

The best person to link you to would be a hardcore overclocker, and so, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=542631#542631" target="_new">Here's your link</A>

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Uh, yeah.. Nice link to this thread.......

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, I've only had two hard drives damaged from overclocking, one was replaced, the other was it's replacement. They were old 10GB WD drives.

Other than that odd drive model, I've only encountered data corruption when I've overclocked the PCI bus too far.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I experienced a data corruption problem yesterday after changing memory ratio from 1:1 to 5:4 and the CPU/AGP/PCI FSB ratio from fixed to 6:2:1 then raising the FSB from 880MHz incrementally to 920MHz. Not that high compared to some of the OC's I've been seeing.

Got a message to run chkdsk due to an inconsistency in a drive. Ran chkdsk - "Deleting corrupt file segment 47952" - restart - NAV lost a .dll file and my scanner software went haywire -had to uninstall and reinstall both. Also lost a drive again on RAID0 but enterd the RAID utility and drive was found - easily fixed - no damage to drives.

Needless to say I went back to my old settings - at least for now. :wink:

_____
AbitIC7-G,P4C2.8GHz(@3082MHz),SwiftechMCX4000,
DeltaFFB0812SHE,OCZ433256ELX2(440.3MHz 2-3-3-6),ATIAIW9700Pro,Audigy2,Pioneer117MGDVD-ROM,TDK VeloCD401248X,SonyDRU500A,MitsumiFDD,WinXPPro