Defraging Problems!!!

I have windows XP Home edition. One of my buddies built my computer
around 2 months ago and has a Western digital 120gb HD. I tried to
Defrag my computer today before I went to work. Before I left it was up
to 6%. Came home and found that there had been a serious error and my
computer had restarted. Tried to defrag again only got to 3% this time
before restart. Tried again same issue. No other programs were
running, including my screen saver. Currently have 64% of my HD free.
Please Help Me Figure this out.

--
Goof2003

Hi,

Run a disk check. Click start/run and type cmd, then click ok. At the
prompt, run "chkdsk C: /r" (without the quotes). You will not be able to
dismount the drive while Windows is running, so follow the prompts to
schedule it to occur on a system reboot. Then reboot.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Goof2003" <Goof2003.1mmnpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have windows XP Home edition. One of my buddies built my computer
> around 2 months ago and has a Western digital 120gb HD. I tried to
> Defrag my computer today before I went to work. Before I left it was up
> to 6%. Came home and found that there had been a serious error and my
> computer had restarted. Tried to defrag again only got to 3% this time
> before restart. Tried again same issue. No other programs were
> running, including my screen saver. Currently have 64% of my HD free.
> Please Help Me Figure this out.
>

> --
> Goof2003

It is very unlikely that your computer needed defragging
after two months of use. Not impossible, just VERY
unlikely.

You may have a hard drive problem though. Get the
diagnostics program from the manufacturer (Western
Digital) and run it.

Good Luck !

Run Defrag from Safe Mode.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Ros

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004

Have you got a cable modem? I had this problem. Cured by unplugging the
modem, and turning off firewall/virus checker for good measure. it worked.
RoS

TRENDING THREADS