Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
By some strange reason I got the massage that my new Canoscan 3000 could not finde any Hi-Speed USB-ports on my computer. I have Win XP w/SP 1 and I have installed the drivers on the IS7-cd. What is going on?
In Device Manager, under "Other devices" I have "Univesrial Serial Bus" with a quistionmark on it. That's probably the usb 2.0 ports. Usb 1.1 ports work just fine.

Uninstall any devices with a question mark next to them, and try installing the usb driver again. Pay careful attention to any messages displayed while installing the driver. I had a similar problem with 2 other boards.

Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I reinstaled the questionmark driver and it downloaded a new driver from MS homepage. But how can I tell that I have usb 2.0? I can't find that writen anywhere, so I am at loss. I could of course just try the scanner u probably say, but it isn't THAT much different in speed on it, so I isn't sure if it scanning with 2.0

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
The device manager will tell you whether the USB 2.0 driver has been installed properly or not. Also if you connect a USB 2.0 device (eg. scanner) for the first time, Windows will show a message saying "high speed USB device detected" or something similar.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WTF are you talking about, to my knowledge your southbridge HAS NO USB 1.1, so all your ports should be USB 2.0!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Shouldnt the Mobo manual tell you what kind of USB ports are on the mobo??

"The Needs Of The Many Outweigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One"
-Spock

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Everything I've read tells me that the ICH5 southbridge (inclucing the ICH5R) provides connections for 8 USB 2.0 ports. Now, I haven't read anything about USB 1.1 ports, but seeing that most boards are providing headers and sockets for 8 USB ports, it was a very short leap of faith to believe those 8 ports represented the 8 2.0 port supported by the chipset (ie, there are no 1.1 ports).

Having said that, XP has been known to have support issues with USB 2.0, but SP1 was SUPPOSED to have fixed that.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Tommelom

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Don't understand me wrong. I KNOW it's usb 2.0 on this board, I just could not enable it. The ports ran in "Full speed USB" wich means it ran at 12 mbps. I think it's working now, but it would be nice if I could find somewhere in windows that showed me that the usb 2.0 was active. Device Manger just say "USB bus controller", if that's 2.0 or 1.1 I can't tell. Is that bad? Should it say "USB 2.0 bus controller".

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I think the case are the manufacturer already tell you that your USB is 2.0, so even the device manager doesn't give you enough info on this it's still USB2.0.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>