Another XP install question.

March 29, 2005 2:41:03 AM

My sister gave me an laptop from work and it has XP Pro with all the updates.
I bought XP Pro as a backup/ recovery. I put in and I get the verison I have
is newer than the disc. Should I reinstall XP Pro and get all the updates or
is there an another option ?

More about : install question

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 6:28:38 AM

I would imagine the machine's current version is WinXP SP2 and the version
on your CD set is WinXP or WinXP SP1.

Go to http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any critical updates
offered to you, and forget about your WinXP CD.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Joel wrote:
> My sister gave me an laptop from work and it has XP Pro with all the
> updates. I bought XP Pro as a backup/ recovery. I put in and I get the
> verison I have is newer than the disc. Should I reinstall XP Pro and get
> all the updates or is there an another option ?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:50:27 PM

If you have a broadband connection, visit Windows Update and bring the
laptop up to date. Do NOT reinstall XP because you will wipe out the
laptop's motherboard, video, sound, and NIC drivers. On most laptops these
are proprietary and may not be on the XP Pro cd. If you want to update the
product code to the one you bought, it is not necessary to reinstall to do
it. Just go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activation and
reactivate the copy on the laptop. The activation wizard will offer you the
opportunity to change your product key to the one you just bought.

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister gave me an laptop from work and it has XP Pro with all the
> updates.
> I bought XP Pro as a backup/ recovery. I put in and I get the verison I
> have
> is newer than the disc. Should I reinstall XP Pro and get all the updates
> or
> is there an another option ?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:30:32 AM

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister gave me an laptop from work and it has XP Pro with all the
> updates.
> I bought XP Pro as a backup/ recovery. I put in and I get the verison I
> have
> is newer than the disc. Should I reinstall XP Pro and get all the updates
> or
> is there an another option ?

All its saying is it is the disk you bought is of a newer batch of the
product produced by Microsoft i.e. just a newer batch than the original and
first release in 2001. The latest release has SP2 included; but you say
you've 'got all the updates' so I don't think your disk would have any more
than what you already have on the system.

You can also order SP2 from Microsoft; they'll ship you a cd for the version
on your laptop; or download from Windows Update.
!