Crysis 2 comes to PC and Consoles... NO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tidefan94

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
One of the higher-ups at crytek said that the new game will push xbox/ps3 to their limits, but will be much better to play on computers, because it will be optimized for it's respective system.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Yes they are using a new optimized engine, which in my opinion is a great thing they finally got their heads out of their arses.
You needed a SLI 280 and higher to get a playable frame rate at 1920x1080 with everything maxed.

I think that this new engine should have this game running smooth like baby's butt on my Crossfire hd4870 1GB :), that is as long as they dont spend more time optimizing the console version than the PC.....

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I don't get everyone's fixation with 'optimisation', its not like some magic powder you can just sprinkle on games, it takes a lot of hard work to get right.

EDIT: corrected spelling

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Impossible to answer that question without sounding a troll with a sackful of flamebait.

So i'll give it a go. Money, more market, less Perceived Piracy, one glove fits all, easier to please audience, gamepads rule for fps...

You get the idea.

gamepads rule for fps? did you miss the whole era of CS? guaranteed a newbie at any fps would rock your world on a pc if you were up against him/her on a console

str8ballistik

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
For the above poster. I do own both, and I know that when it comes to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I'd kick almost anyones arse if I was playing with the Xbox Controller vs Keyboard and Mouse. I like keyboard and mouse dont get me wrong, I Just get more into the feel of that game with a gamepad (IMO).

The funny thing I find about this topic though, is how at one e3 a couple years ago, people were bashing sony and the ps3 that the xbox got 60 fps on Madden when the ps3 only got 30. Their defense to that was "no one has the ability to unluck the full potential of the ps3's power yet" lol and already crysis is bringing its high horse attitude to its knees. (right next to xbox)

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
@str8ballistik,

well, sony's proved their point now, some devs try to make games for the 360 nowadays and then have to scrap it for the 360 because it isn't powerful enough to play the game at 1920x1080, although that's kinda confusing since their GPU power is about the same while the PS3 has less Vram.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
the architecture of pc vs console in terms of graphics is not comparable, consoles use a completely different API (especially the ps3)

Also, consoles are optimized to handle more procedurals than PC games are optimized to handle at any time; given that most PC games won't benefit from more than 2 cores, while console titles are made to use all available cores as there is only 1 hardware set.

Anyways, while the VRAM on a console is pertinent for framebuffering, the way it buffers frames and applies effect layers is not the same as how it is applied in the DirectX API for PC.

Agreed. Having a single spec to work to (keeping in mind that devs must assume every 360 has no Hard Drive because of the Arcade version) makes it easy to code down to the register set (low level assembly), as opposed to PC's, which have thousands of unique setups, where you have to code in a higher level (less optimized) langauge (usually C/C++). Heck, most PC's devs probably don't even know assembly anymore...

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
gamepads rule for fps? rofl.

Ok, ultra slow aiming compared to flick of a wrist and press of a button.

I've seen the best players on console games play, its hilairous how innaccurate and slow to aim that crap is even in the hands of the best players. If you ever seen the best players in CS you would laugh at yourself.

Seriously, the only reason why anyone would say gampads are better is because they are part of the target audience for console games. People who are not gamers and the average 14 year old. The only reason they think they are even good at the game is because everyone who plays these console games online on console are mediocre or just plain terrible because they simply just play these games for like 30 minutes then log off. IE. people who wouldn't have played games in the 90s. Especially since most of these games aim for you, they have autoaim built in so the bads perceive themselves to be better. Its because the controller is so terrible that this needs to be a feature in these games or else the majority of players would be frustrated as its lack of ability to control a shooter.

I actually have used keyboard/mouse in PS3 online, CoD 5 with it is so easy its boring. People who play these games online are just simply horrible compared to PC games.

Status
Not open for further replies.