profile problem

Occasionally I have a problem logging onto a user profile when I have just
logged out of another profile. The system will either freeze on the login
screen, or will bring up the background but no icons. I have to turn the
computer off and back on.

It only happens when I am logging off 1 profile and on a second profile. I
don't have problems when I do a restart and login onto the desired profile.

Win XP Home SP2 - 512mb RAM

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Byte

You cannot backup Windows XP unless you have the Pro version or are
running a third party app like Symantec Ghost. WindowsXP backs up all
system files and the Registry at shutdown (saving files). Then you can use
the Restore feature to repair your PC. Backup or copy personal files such
as documents, photos and music to CDs for safe keeping.

In news:8EE65272-F7E4-4929-BA96-11ADC6EE631D@microsoft.com,
Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> You cannot backup Windows XP unless you have the Pro version or
> are
> running a third party app like Symantec Ghost.

I'm not sure what your comment has to do with If_Its_Junk's
problem, but if you're saying that only XP Professional and not
XP Home has a backup utility, that's *not* correct.

Backup is installed automatically on XP Professional, but not on
XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the
CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.

If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

However, whether Professional or Home, it's far from the best
backup software around, and any of a number of third-party
alternatives is preferable.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In news:8EE65272-F7E4-4929-BA96-11ADC6EE631D@microsoft.com,
> Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > You cannot backup Windows XP unless you have the Pro version or
> > are
> > running a third party app like Symantec Ghost.
>

> I'm not sure what your comment has to do with If_Its_Junk's
> problem, but if you're saying that only XP Professional and not
> XP Home has a backup utility, that's *not* correct.
>
> Backup is installed automatically on XP Professional, but not on
> XP Home. If you have the complete XP Home CD, find backup on the
> CD, in \ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP and install it yourself by
> doubleclicking the file ntbackup.msi.
>
> If you don't have an XP CD, you can download ntbackup.msi at
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
>
> Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894
>

> However, whether Professional or Home, it's far from the best
> backup software around, and any of a number of third-party
> alternatives is preferable.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "If_Its_Junk" wrote:
> >
> >> Occasionally I have a problem logging onto a user profile when
> >> have just logged out of another profile. The system will
> >> either
> >> freeze on the login screen, or will bring up the background
> >> but no
> >> icons. I have to turn the computer off and back on.
> >>
> >> It only happens when I am logging off 1 profile and on a
> >> second
> >> profile. I don't have problems when I do a restart and login
> >> onto
> >> the desired profile.
> >>
> >> Win XP Home SP2 - 512mb RAM
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I also wondered what "byte's" reply had to do with my problem!