asus p4p 800 deluxe which memory?

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i posted a few questions redarding this in the memory section as well.
what is the best performing dual channel ddr pc3200 that i can buy for this motherboard?

i have been reading all day, i have an order going out tommorow, im torn between CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 512MB 64MX64 PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader.
now im seeing i need twinmx not xms, is that right? i cant find it on newegg.

and mushkin pc3200 dual channel ddr, or ocz latency enhanced pc3200 ddr dual channel.
it is not about money, i dont care about cost, which is best for the fastest performance regarding 3d games??
i would rather here from those of you that have used a few tpes or have read and can refer me to some non biast reviews and benchmarks.

thanx in advancce for the information

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
ok i found the corsair stuff i need, now would there be any benefit to running 4, 256 mbs to equal 1 gig overall and dual channel mode, or would it be better to run 2- 512 mbs and leave two dimms open?

or would it be better to run only 512 in 2 256 modules instead of 1 gig?

i read the recommendations from 3 sites and they all say they recommend 2- 256 mb sticks for best performance in dual channel mode, i want whatever is best/fastest.

thanx for any help with this.

update, while reading i realised that the 256 modules are perhaps single sided, whereas the 512's are double sided, it is then contended that 256 modules will perhaps overclock better? and this is perhaps where the recomendation for only using 2x256 in dual mode for optimum performance?
both mushkins and corsairs sight recommended 2x256 when running dual channel for optimum performance and i want to know why?
i would hate to buy the extra 512 and find it to be more cpu intensive to work with more memory vs less.
or make the system no faster or even slower.

i was going to run 1 gig, but cant decide if it is better to run 4x256 or 2x512 or to stick with 2x256.... help

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lumper on 06/01/03 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
larger modules are more likely to encounter timing issues. And increasing the number of modules is worse yet. If you really NEED 1GB of RAM, you should probably get 2 512MB modules. Otherwise, your system might operate stabley with better timings if you choose 2 256MB modules

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i took your advice and changed my order to 512, 2x256 and added a pci sound card and a kool set of speakers and came out 10 $ less than before,lol.
thanx