I click Start then All Programs and the window that comes up is not centered
on my monitor. It has 3 columns and half the right-hand column is off the
screen. I can't seem to slide it into position, or decrease the size of it.

Monitor is adjusted for size orientation etc, via the monitor settings. It
just seems to be with this one window and not poorly adjusted monitor.

Thanks, again
Chet

You need to reorganize your Start menu so that it fits on your monitor.

Modem Ani

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I click Start then All Programs and the window that comes up is not
centered
> on my monitor. It has 3 columns and half the right-hand column is off the
> screen. I can't seem to slide it into position, or decrease the size of
it.

> Monitor is adjusted for size orientation etc, via the monitor settings.
It
> just seems to be with this one window and not poorly adjusted monitor.
>
> Thanks, again
> Chet

Sort your Start Menu into folders that contain similar types of program..
e.g. multimedia, office, games, graphics etc

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I click Start then All Programs and the window that comes up is not
>centered
> on my monitor. It has 3 columns and half the right-hand column is off the
> screen. I can't seem to slide it into position, or decrease the size of
> it.
>
> Monitor is adjusted for size orientation etc, via the monitor settings.
> It
> just seems to be with this one window and not poorly adjusted monitor.
>
> Thanks, again
> Chet

Thanks for the answers but, Ani, how do I "You need to reorganize your Start
menu so that it fits on your monitor"

And Mike, how do I "Sort your Start Menu into folders that contain similar
types of program..
e.g. multimedia, office, games, graphics etc"

It sounds like your recommendations are aimed at lessening the number of
programs/items on the menu. I have only 3 columns worth and if the window
were centered, I could see all of each column. Are you telling me that one
can only have two columns?

The problem is not on the initial screen one gets when clicking "start,"
it's after one clicks "all programs."

Thanks, again
Chet

To re-organize your Start menu, go to My Computer - Local Disk C: -
Documents and Settings - <your account> - Start Menu and reorganize the
shortcuts so they fall under fewer sub-menus. Your goal is to not exceed the
number of sub-menus that can be displayed on your monitor.

> Thanks for the answers but, Ani, how do I "You need to reorganize your
Start
> menu so that it fits on your monitor"
>
> And Mike, how do I "Sort your Start Menu into folders that contain similar
> types of program..
> e.g. multimedia, office, games, graphics etc"
>
> It sounds like your recommendations are aimed at lessening the number of
> programs/items on the menu. I have only 3 columns worth and if the window
> were centered, I could see all of each column. Are you telling me that
one
> can only have two columns?
>
> The problem is not on the initial screen one gets when clicking "start,"
> it's after one clicks "all programs."
>
> Thanks, again
> Chet

Chet: increase your monitor resolution, then re-center your monitor. to
increase the resolution, go to My Computer --> Control Panel --> Display -->
Settings, and there should be a bar somewhere near the bottom of the Display
Properties window that comes up with the header "Screen Resolution". drag the
bar to the right to increase the resolution, and to the left to decrease it.
note: depending on your monitor and your video card, you may not be able to
use the 32-bit colour setting, and if you can't, get a new monitor/video
card... i'm not exactly sure which of those two it might be that would not
allow you to use full colours, but it's one of those.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:56:55 -0500, CGB wrote:

> I click Start then All Programs and the window that comes up is not centered
> on my monitor. It has 3 columns and half the right-hand column is off the
> screen. I can't seem to slide it into position, or decrease the size of it.
>
> Monitor is adjusted for size orientation etc, via the monitor settings. It
> just seems to be with this one window and not poorly adjusted monitor.
>
> Thanks, again
> Chet

All Programs is not a centered window. It's a series of flyout menus.
Others have already suggested regrouping the existing folders and
shortcuts. Another technique to make this window more manageable is to
rename items to shorter names. Reason: Each column will be as wide as the
longest name. Shorten the names and the columns become narrower and will
hopefully fit better on the screen.

Example: Rename "Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition" to "MS Office"
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks to all for the replies. I've got a couple of approaches to try, and
will.

An editorial comment from me: seems like a lot of hassle could be avoided
if MS would only allow one to click on the errant, off-center window and
drag it to the center of the screen as one can do with other windows! Sure
would make things a lot more user-friendly.

Thanks,
Chet

As was explained in a previous post, the Start menu is not a window.