Fail to startup after deleting Internet Logs

Howdy--

Kind of new to Windows XP so please bear with me...

I have not installed SP2 yet and it had been advised that I install
ZoneAlarm Pro

I bought ZoneAlarm Pro 4 a little less than a week ago, installed it, was
hit with a virus (which Avast! claimed to have caught- four files were
affected but now I am having the following problems...) updated the ZoneAlarm
software through their website and things started acting wierd.

I could surf ok but when checking my email (not using Outlook) those
websites were SUPER sluggish. In fact it took over 90 seconds to download a
page in some cases. I am using dialup but it has NEVER taken that long
before and refreshing does nothing.

A user on the ZoneAlarm forum suggested disabling ZoneAlarm, Rebooting in
safe mode and then deleting all the files from the internet log file
(C:\Windows\Internet logs). I did this, rebooted and now I just get my
wallpaper at startup and no taskbar or icons.

It is a rather lovely wallpaper and all but access to my computer would be
nice.

I can ctrl+alt+del and get into the task manager and was able to copy some
of my critical stuff to a disk fortunately but I have no idea what to do at
this point short of reloading windows XP.

I did create a restore point BEFORE I installed ZoneAlarm Pro. Can I get
back to it somehow?

Also, when I boot from the Windows XP cd-rom It has a repair selection but
it takes me straight to dos. typing dir gives me a directory of 5 columns:

date time a------ bytes used fn.ft
xxx xxx a-d---- 1200 fn.bat

(the second row is kind of an example)

I know that third column is telling me something but I don't know the third
columns language. There is a string of 8 characters and each position has a
specific letter assigned to it and I assume it refers to the file it is
associated with. Might it be telling me if one is damaged or not?

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated,
5 answers Last reply
More about fail startup deleting internet logs

    If you've had a virus, it's not advisable to use System Restore as its file
    store may have been infected as well and it's not possible to selectively
    clean the file store. After a virus, as a general rule, it is advisable to
    turn off System Restore, reboot and turn it back on as this clears System
    Restore entirely restarts the process of restore point creation from there
    while wiping all previous restore points.

    There are two repair options in XP setup, it sounds as though you went to
    the first option which takes you to the Recovery Console. You want the
    Repair Install option as follows:

    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "struggling" <struggling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy--
    >
    > Kind of new to Windows XP so please bear with me...
    >
    > I have not installed SP2 yet and it had been advised that I install
    > ZoneAlarm Pro
    >
    > I bought ZoneAlarm Pro 4 a little less than a week ago, installed it, was
    > hit with a virus (which Avast! claimed to have caught- four files were
    > affected but now I am having the following problems...) updated the
    > ZoneAlarm
    > software through their website and things started acting wierd.
    >
    > I could surf ok but when checking my email (not using Outlook) those
    > websites were SUPER sluggish. In fact it took over 90 seconds to download
    > page in some cases. I am using dialup but it has NEVER taken that long
    > before and refreshing does nothing.
    >
    > A user on the ZoneAlarm forum suggested disabling ZoneAlarm, Rebooting in
    > safe mode and then deleting all the files from the internet log file
    > (C:\Windows\Internet logs). I did this, rebooted and now I just get my
    > wallpaper at startup and no taskbar or icons.
    >
    > It is a rather lovely wallpaper and all but access to my computer would
    > be
    > nice.
    >
    > I can ctrl+alt+del and get into the task manager and was able to copy some
    > of my critical stuff to a disk fortunately but I have no idea what to do
    > at
    > this point short of reloading windows XP.
    >
    > I did create a restore point BEFORE I installed ZoneAlarm Pro. Can I get
    > back to it somehow?
    >
    > Also, when I boot from the Windows XP cd-rom It has a repair selection but
    > it takes me straight to dos. typing dir gives me a directory of 5
    > columns:
    >
    > date time a------ bytes used fn.ft
    > xxx xxx a-d---- 1200 fn.bat
    >
    > (the second row is kind of an example)
    >
    > I know that third column is telling me something but I don't know the
    > third
    > columns language. There is a string of 8 characters and each position has
    > specific letter assigned to it and I assume it refers to the file it is
    > associated with. Might it be telling me if one is damaged or not?
    >
    > Anyway, any help would be much appreciated,

    Thank you for the much needed advice...

    I will give it a try and see what happens!

    By the way, do you have reliable knowledge of how to use the Recovery Console?

    I am also curious as to the third coulumn and the significance of each
    letter (Just call me curious George...).

    Again many thanks, I'll head home and see what happens!

    Struggling

    This Knowledge Base Article may give you the information you are seeking on
    the Recovery Console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    --

    > Thank you for the much needed advice...
    >
    > I will give it a try and see what happens!
    >
    > By the way, do you have reliable knowledge of how to use the Recovery
    > Console?
    >
    > I am also curious as to the third coulumn and the significance of each
    > letter (Just call me curious George...).
    >
    > Again many thanks, I'll head home and see what happens!
    >
    > Struggling

    God Bless you, God Bless you, God Bless you...

    I am now writing this reply from MY OWN computer!!

    I will also look into this article some... I am anxious to have more
    oppurtunities to learn about these new fangled machines (I used to be pretty
    well versed with DOS way back when... then I left the country and my how
    things have changed!).

    Interesting your name is Solomon, I spent some time in a country by the same
    name, beautiful place.

    I am so very appreciative, I hope I am not gushing too much...

    Thank you again,

    Struggling a little less

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > This Knowledge Base Article may give you the information you are seeking on
    > the Recovery Console:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "struggling" <struggling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for the much needed advice...
    > >
    > > I will give it a try and see what happens!
    > >
    > > By the way, do you have reliable knowledge of how to use the Recovery
    > > Console?
    > >
    > > I am also curious as to the third coulumn and the significance of each
    > > letter (Just call me curious George...).
    > >
    > > Again many thanks, I'll head home and see what happens!
    > >
    > > Struggling

    From your mouth to God's ear.

    Thank you very much for the kind words, such compliments and "gushing" are
    greatly appreciated.:-)

    --

    > God Bless you, God Bless you, God Bless you...
    >
    > I am now writing this reply from MY OWN computer!!
    >
    > I will also look into this article some... I am anxious to have more
    > oppurtunities to learn about these new fangled machines (I used to be
    > pretty
    > well versed with DOS way back when... then I left the country and my how
    > things have changed!).
    >
    > Interesting your name is Solomon, I spent some time in a country by the
    > same
    > name, beautiful place.
    >
    > I am so very appreciative, I hope I am not gushing too much...
    >
    > Thank you again,
    >
    > Struggling a little less
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> This Knowledge Base Article may give you the information you are seeking
    >> on
    >> the Recovery Console:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "struggling" <struggling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for the much needed advice...
    >> >
    >> > I will give it a try and see what happens!
    >> >
    >> > By the way, do you have reliable knowledge of how to use the Recovery
    >> > Console?
    >> >
    >> > I am also curious as to the third coulumn and the significance of each
    >> > letter (Just call me curious George...).
    >> >
    >> > Again many thanks, I'll head home and see what happens!
    >> >
    >> > Struggling

Windows XP