Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to start programs in dos Cannot be run in dos.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
includes "this cannot be run in dos."
O Express is the same as is Restore etc.

Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali


How can I get back to my old config

XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:45:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a scan of
your system. Second, download, install and run Ad Aware,
www.lavasoftusa.com and scan your system for any malware.

If your system is clear of viruses and malware, assuming this is a recent
issue, you might try running System Restore to take you back to a time prior
to when this began; Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
Restore.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/


"Big tel" <Big tel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:87BDEE49-4360-4C0C-B50F-BA659B909BA9@microsoft.com...
> After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
> includes "this cannot be run in dos."
> O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
>
> Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
>
>
> How can I get back to my old config
>
> XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)
March 30, 2005 12:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Big tel wrote:
> After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
> includes "this cannot be run in dos."
> O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
>
> Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
>
>
> How can I get back to my old config
>
> XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)

Have you tried System Restore?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:03:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

As stated in my email, "restore" opens in wordpad stating this cannot be run
under dos.

"Gordon" wrote:

> Big tel wrote:
> > After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
> > includes "this cannot be run in dos."
> > O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
> >
> > Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
> >
> >
> > How can I get back to my old config
> >
> > XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)
>
> Have you tried System Restore?
>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:30:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:07:06 -0800, Big tel wrote:

> After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
> includes "this cannot be run in dos."
> O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
>
> Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
>
>
> How can I get back to my old config
>
> XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)

Suggest following Michael's advice to correct any lingering malware that
probably caused this.

To repair the association for *.LNK files, see the following page from MVP
Doug Knox:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:40:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Actually, when you just said "restore" in your original post, it was
difficult to determine if you were talking about XP's System Restore or
something else.

Try running System Restore from a Command Prompt as referenced in the
following Knowledge Base Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279736

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/


"Terry Bradley" <Terry Bradley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ADF94CBC-50D9-4D0B-8E1B-B0DAF9FDA278@microsoft.com...
> As stated in my email, "restore" opens in wordpad stating this cannot be
> run
> under dos.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Big tel wrote:
>> > After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first
>> > line
>> > includes "this cannot be run in dos."
>> > O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
>> >
>> > Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
>> >
>> >
>> > How can I get back to my old config
>> >
>> > XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)
>>
>> Have you tried System Restore?
>>
March 30, 2005 4:25:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Terry Bradley wrote:
> As stated in my email, "restore" opens in wordpad stating this cannot be run
> under dos.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

"System Restore" does NOT appear in the Quick Launch toolbar or on any
toolbar AFAIK. You get to it through Start-All Programs-
Accessories-System Tools.
April 1, 2005 4:54:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

....
>
> "System Restore" does NOT appear in the Quick Launch toolbar or on any
> toolbar AFAIK. You get to it through Start-All Programs-
> Accessories-System Tools.

Well, unless the user chooses to create such a shortcut. I think you meant
by default, right? Not sure what's going on other than he may be using
incorrect syntax, or I would suspect damaged file associations. So, that
leaves malware, spyware, trojans, worms, etc.. IMO. No? Yes?

Regards,

Pop
!