Trying to start programs in dos Cannot be run in dos.

After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
includes "this cannot be run in dos."
O Express is the same as is Restore etc.

Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali

How can I get back to my old config

XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)
7 answers Last reply
More about trying start programs

    First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a scan of
    your system. Second, download, install and run Ad Aware,
    www.lavasoftusa.com and scan your system for any malware.

    If your system is clear of viruses and malware, assuming this is a recent
    issue, you might try running System Restore to take you back to a time prior
    to when this began; Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    Restore.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    Big tel wrote:
    > After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
    > includes "this cannot be run in dos."
    > O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
    >
    > Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
    >

    > How can I get back to my old config
    >
    > XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)

    Have you tried System Restore?

    As stated in my email, "restore" opens in wordpad stating this cannot be run
    under dos.

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:07:06 -0800, Big tel wrote:

    > After boot, all progs in quick start tray start in wordpad. The first line
    > includes "this cannot be run in dos."
    > O Express is the same as is Restore etc.
    >
    > Can access on line but email is via ISP tiscali
    >

    > How can I get back to my old config
    >
    > XP Pro with SP2 (Not a recent addition)

    Suggest following Michael's advice to correct any lingering malware that
    probably caused this.

    To repair the association for *.LNK files, see the following page from MVP
    Doug Knox:
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Actually, when you just said "restore" in your original post, it was
    difficult to determine if you were talking about XP's System Restore or
    something else.

    Try running System Restore from a Command Prompt as referenced in the
    following Knowledge Base Article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279736

    --

    Terry Bradley wrote:
    > As stated in my email, "restore" opens in wordpad stating this cannot be run
    > under dos.
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:

    "System Restore" does NOT appear in the Quick Launch toolbar or on any
    toolbar AFAIK. You get to it through Start-All Programs-
    Accessories-System Tools.

    > "System Restore" does NOT appear in the Quick Launch toolbar or on any
    > toolbar AFAIK. You get to it through Start-All Programs-
    > Accessories-System Tools.

    Well, unless the user chooses to create such a shortcut. I think you meant
    by default, right? Not sure what's going on other than he may be using
    incorrect syntax, or I would suspect damaged file associations. So, that
    leaves malware, spyware, trojans, worms, etc.. IMO. No? Yes?

    Regards,

    Pop

DOS Internet Service Providers Microsoft Windows XP