Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

This is an E-machine computer.

When the computer arrived it booted to the boot menu and no matter
which option you selected it returned to the same boot option. Of
course it has an OEM XP CD.

I reinstalled using the OEM CD and arrived at the same boot menu with
the same problem. Any choice puts you in a loop back to the boot menu.

I used delpart, formatted the HD, and attempted to install XP from a
MS issued CD and it goes to a blue screen telling me it is going to
start windows and just hangs there. It does the same thing when I
tried to install W2K.

The memory tested OK but I tried a new stick and all of the above
problems remained unchanged. I tried a different HD...no help.

Here is the kicker. Win98 se installs and functions normally.

I have run out of ideas and so has the instructor in our computer
repair class at a local college.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and tried.

Pull all hardware out of the computer that you don't need to install. You need a video card, hard disk, and a CD-Rom drive. Unplug everything else.

Report the blue screen error or don't waste others time by posting here without the error message.