raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
hi, I'm not really shure how i'm suppost to setup raid, but I have a promise integrated raid chip and I have 2x80gb Western digital special edtion harddrives. I set the stripe size in the raid bios but I don't know how to set it up in windows, i'm going to be using NTFS format, i havn't formated my harddrives yet. i'm a redneck from Texas so you know I need some step by step instructions on how to set up raid. I have partition magic8, and I'm know how to get around in dos.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by raging_redneck on 06/02/03 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JR6824

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Hi IO have been working with this very little. I can tell you that before you install set up raid,,,, Read and follow your instructions.. Check and make sure that you have the latest drivers BEFORE YOU GET SET-UP.. Go to your mobo site and download the latest bios and drivers. And follow the directions carefully. I am having problems right now my own self...But I have had this working and operating as a server.... With 10 people on this little thing i got. so i know it is great.. I would suggest getting 2 more HD's and runnig 0+1 so you don't run into a major failure. With striping(raid 0) if one of your harddrives fails you lose evrything..... 0+1 works just as great and you don't lose evrything
John

raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
I did have a raid-0 setup, and it worked perfectly fine, but i'm not shure if it was setup properly in windows. I didn't have any conflicts at all everything worked fine.
I was able to get 15970 for my benchmark using a Pentium4 2.5ghz cpu w/ 533fsb and a radeon9700 pro. i'm just not shure if the stripe size was configured properly.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
If you have setup the Raid array properly before hand, you should not need to do any setup in windows at all. Just choose how you would like your Raid array to be configured in the controller's bios and leave it at that.

The best way to setup Raid in my opinion is to setup up the array in the bios and then boot to DOS and format the partition (which would be 160GB in your case). Then copy your Raid controller drivers on to a disk and run windows setup. At some point Windows will ask you for your controller drivers and after you have put in the floppy that is the last time you should have to bother with the Raid config. Windows just sees the array as a massive hard disc in Raid mode - the controller does all the work worrying about stripe size etc...

If you need more info then look at the many threads in the RAID FAQs in the hard disc section.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
To set up your RAID0 array in windows is very easy. If you want to boot from you RAID0 you need to do a fresh windows install, pressing F6 at the beginning to load the promise drivers from your manufacturer's diskette. Windows setup should then recognise a 160GB disk. Just use Windows setup to create a primary partition (then rest you can do later), format and install.

Any other changes to a RAID0 array can be made from within windows. Simply run diskmanagement Start>Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>Administrative Toosl>Computer Management and select Disk Management in the Computer Management>Storage tree. Using Disk Management you can create or delete partitions, make dynamic disks and format disks.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: