Sign in with
Your question

Games that lag on all PCs?

Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2009 9:38:00 PM

I know that there are some games that lag on all PCs, old and new, and changing the system specs doesn't improve the performance. There is this one

http://pc.ign.com/articles/701/701731p2.html

Here is an example, where a 2D game lags badly on all systems.

And I'm playing anno1701 right now, I found that changing the video card and CPU frequency, all else being the same, doesn't have a single frame of difference. So there is no point to overclock anything. And there is a guy with an i7 and 9GB of DDR3 triple channel ram, (I have E6600 and 2GB of dual channel), and he also experiences the same lag that I do.

Are there any one here that knows programming, and can explain what is exactly bottlenecking these games?

Thank you.

More about : games lag pcs

June 4, 2009 3:41:50 AM

Well I'm not a professional programmer, but I can say that some games are not programmed properly, in the sense that some better coding would've made them more efficient.

Sometimes though, a game is too old that it doesn't run properly on new OSes. Or on 64-bit environments. That could be the case here; just ask anyone who's tried playing KOTOR on Vista!
June 4, 2009 3:57:37 PM

Try connecting your laptop to a CRT monitor ( old style) to see if the lag is caused by your laptop LCD.
Related resources
June 5, 2009 10:29:08 AM

I would check fps or Internet providers. I had 4 computers. They all lag at one time. Problem was I had a bad internet connection.

P4 3.4 1gb ram and ati 9700 OLD
Acer centreno duo 1.66ghz 1gb ram intergraded ram.
Alienware M5550 core 2 2.33 ghz 4gb ram refunded
Alienware M17X r1 2.4ghz 4gb ram dual geforce 8600gt 35fps upgraded to dual 9800gt fps 61.7 fps

Issue was cable overload 55 people per one T1 750kps and 200kps upload

Went to DSL they are all power house computers. 3mbps 765kbps

p4 3.4ghz Lord of the rings mines of moria 1600 by 1200 very low end 64fps.
The M17x max out on lord of the rings Mines of moria 1600 by 1200 61.7fps
June 5, 2009 1:59:28 PM

Usually they are poorly optimised for the different configurations or don't take advantage of more than one core (CPU or GPU wise (mostly the old ones but not necessarily)) or there are the OS problems (that sometimes may be solved simply by running them in compatibility with an older OS) and then there may be other problems depending on what you are playing and on what are you playing.
June 5, 2009 4:06:44 PM

well did you try to check the size of your RAM?????

most of the games are lag because player's laptop or pc has a small RAM...

right now the standard RAM is 2G and higher ^^

hope this will help you to figure it out ^^
June 5, 2009 6:23:15 PM

One thing worth noting is that RTS games are often not coded quite as well as FPS games for various reasons:

A. The engine sometimes has more to data manage and thus is more complex inthat respect.

B. They usually sell less copies than FPS, thus lower budget.

C. They often have their own engine, whereas most FPS games use high-budget 2rd party engines (Unreal, Half Life...).

D. They often take longer to develop, making it harder to predict what spec PCs will be when released (for instance Supreme Commander targetted a too high spec when released).

E. Competition in the RTS engine realm is much lower than in the FPS engine realm.

This isn't always the case, depends on the game, editor and publisher but is more often than not the case.
Also it doesn't mean that all RTS games will have poor performance, just less refined than FPS.
June 5, 2009 7:07:34 PM

Poor programming can make the simplest program lag on almost any hardware. When I was taking programming courses in college I'd see it all the time where even basic assignment programs would crash decent systems. When I took a course on server side programming it was only offered it at night because it was too easy to bring the entire server to a halt with some bad code (it was a new course at a community college and they didn't have the funds for a separate server so we programmed on a live system).
June 5, 2009 7:59:27 PM

Devastator_uk said:

D. They often take longer to develop, making it harder to predict what spec PCs will be when released (for instance Supreme Commander targetted a too high spec when released).

Is Supcom's steep requirements due to that or just poor programming again? Do the developers have supercomputers when they were developing games and testing them on?

Poor programming can make the simplest program lag on almost any hardware. When I was taking programming courses in college I'd see it all the time where even basic assignment programs would crash decent systems. When I took a course on server side programming it was only offered it at night because it was too easy to bring the entire server to a halt with some bad code (it was a new course at a community college and they didn't have the funds for a separate server so we programmed on a live system).
said:

I see. So that may explain why really old games like Age of Empires II still lag on today's computers, just as it lags on pentium IIIs.

June 6, 2009 4:17:02 PM

oh what the??? you said pentium III?

now i know why that game is taking some lag.

you should better change and upgrade you processor at least to p4
June 7, 2009 2:43:16 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesettlersvi/revie...

This is another example, even Gamespot called a System Hog. The graphics looks very normal, yet it lags the fastest PCs at the time.

I'm beginning to wonder whether PC gaming is worth it compared to console, because PC hardware costs a lot more, and games run a lot more poorly. So are we just paying extra for the ineptitude of the developers?
!