Who is this person with full control on my security tab??

Hi,

I have recently re-installed WinXP SP2.

I happened to go to:
one of my folders on one of my drives > properties > security > user
names, and found in the list, a person's head in profile with a question
mark against it, followed by a long list of numbers, about 40 of them.
This user had been given 'special permissions'.
I next went to Advanced, and here found that this user had been given
'Full Control'.
Further investigation revealed that this user had inherited some powers
and that I could not delete it except through some fairly complicated
manouvers.

Please tell me who is this user with all these powers over my folders -
he is in a great many of them? Is he supposed to be there? If so who put
him there, and for what purpose? Is there a simple way of getting rid of
him in one stroke, instead of examining each folder in turn?

Many thanks

Royston.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:19:22 GMT, Royston Tin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently re-installed WinXP SP2.
>
> I happened to go to:
> one of my folders on one of my drives > properties > security > user
> names, and found in the list, a person's head in profile with a question
> mark against it, followed by a long list of numbers, about 40 of them.
> This user had been given 'special permissions'.
> I next went to Advanced, and here found that this user had been given
> 'Full Control'.
> Further investigation revealed that this user had inherited some powers
> and that I could not delete it except through some fairly complicated
> manouvers.
>
> Please tell me who is this user with all these powers over my folders -
> he is in a great many of them? Is he supposed to be there? If so who put
> him there, and for what purpose? Is there a simple way of getting rid of
> him in one stroke, instead of examining each folder in turn?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Royston.

Chances are good that you have deleted a user account or you've reinstalled
Windows. "Unknown" is usually an abandoned account. Due to one of the above
scenarios, it has been removed but traces still exist such as the ones
you've discovered.

You could re-establish shares on the system which *should* refresh the
default access list or, since this is an old local account, ignore the
account's presence.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In article <e2AQYAUNFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:19:22 GMT, Royston Tin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently re-installed WinXP SP2.
> >
> > I happened to go to:
> > one of my folders on one of my drives > properties > security > user
> > names, and found in the list, a person's head in profile with a question
> > mark against it, followed by a long list of numbers, about 40 of them.
> > This user had been given 'special permissions'.
> > I next went to Advanced, and here found that this user had been given
> > 'Full Control'.
> > Further investigation revealed that this user had inherited some powers
> > and that I could not delete it except through some fairly complicated
> > manouvers.
> >
> > Please tell me who is this user with all these powers over my folders -
> > he is in a great many of them? Is he supposed to be there? If so who put
> > him there, and for what purpose? Is there a simple way of getting rid of
> > him in one stroke, instead of examining each folder in turn?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Royston.
>
> Chances are good that you have deleted a user account or you've reinstalled
> Windows. "Unknown" is usually an abandoned account. Due to one of the above
> scenarios, it has been removed but traces still exist such as the ones
> you've discovered.
>
> You could re-establish shares on the system which *should* refresh the
> default access list or, since this is an old local account, ignore the
> account's presence.

Sharon, hello and thanks for your response.

From what you say it is not some program installed by a virus/trojan, a
sleeper, which will be activated at some later date by a malicious
person. So I am thankful for that.