Ironman Victory Report: First Guardians!

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2005 9:19:16 PM

Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
apparently the first ironman guardians!

A brief announcement can be found on the Amazon Basin -> D2 Forums ->
Strategy Forums -> HC Resting Room

If you want to read their whole saga, go to D2 Forums -> General
Forums -> The Meeting Place -> Group Games -> The Rustics.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:48:50 PM

royls@telus.net schrieb:
> Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
> apparently the first ironman guardians!

Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.

The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
head.

But anyway - wow, what an achievement :)

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:48:51 PM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:48:50 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
> wrote:
>
> >royls@telus.net schrieb:
> >> Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
> >> apparently the first ironman guardians!
> >
> >Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
> >two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.
>
> I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!
>
> >The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
> >via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
> >act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
>
> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...
>
> >That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
> >interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
> >head.
>
> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?
>
> -- Roy L

wow!

So this means that

1) They clear the den but are not allowed to go get the skill point
2) They kill Bloodraven but can not get a merc
3) They kill the Smith but cannot get an imbue
4) See the Jade Figurine but cannot give it to Meshif
5) See the Gidbinn but cannot give it to Ormus
6) See the Tome of Lam Esam but cannot give it to Alkor
7) Kill Izzy but cannot get the skill points
8) Kill Shenck but get no sockets
9) Kill Frozenstein but leave Anya to the whims of a pervert (We leave
the rest to your imagination) - unless they are required to free Anya
so that the Nilly quest must now be done. Either way they end up
without the +30 to all resists

These people are inappropriately named IronMan

I hereby dub thine so that thine shall hereafter be known by the more
proper name

AdamantiumMan

or perhaps

DiamondMan

or maybe

ImpenetrableForceFieldMan

Of course once they reach Guardian and have followed all the rules this
now means they can return to all places and retrieve the forsaken
skills/resists/stats/sockets/imbues/mercs.

Is that a reward for completion?

Sounds tempting

Orion Ryder
June 6, 2005 3:51:54 PM

Hannes Brunner schrieb:
> royls@telus.net schrieb:
>
>> Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
>> apparently the first ironman guardians!
>

> Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
> two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.
>
> The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
> via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
> act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
> That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
> interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
> head.

Oh, and they do _not_ allow Skellimancers!

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:47:49 PM

wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>> Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
>> apparently the first ironman guardians!
>
>Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
>two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.

I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!

>The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
>via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
>act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.

I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...

>That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
>interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
>head.

Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:25:02 AM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, royls@telus.net, supreme ruler of
bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Congratulations to the Rustics, an Amazon Basin ironman team who are
>apparently the first ironman guardians!
>
>A brief announcement can be found on the Amazon Basin -> D2 Forums ->
>Strategy Forums -> HC Resting Room
>
>If you want to read their whole saga, go to D2 Forums -> General
>Forums -> The Meeting Place -> Group Games -> The Rustics.

Rah rah rah, I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous

On 6 Jun 2005 10:17:25 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:48:50 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
>> wrote:

>> >Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
>> >two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!
>>
>> >The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
>> >via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
>> >act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
>>
>> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
>> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...
>>
>> >That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
>> >interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
>> >head.
>>
>> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
>> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?
>
>wow!
>
>So this means that
>
>1) They clear the den but are not allowed to go get the skill point
>2) They kill Bloodraven but can not get a merc
>3) They kill the Smith but cannot get an imbue
>4) See the Jade Figurine but cannot give it to Meshif
>5) See the Gidbinn but cannot give it to Ormus
>6) See the Tome of Lam Esam but cannot give it to Alkor
>7) Kill Izzy but cannot get the skill points
>8) Kill Shenck but get no sockets
>9) Kill Frozenstein but leave Anya to the whims of a pervert (We leave
>the rest to your imagination) - unless they are required to free Anya
>so that the Nilly quest must now be done. Either way they end up
>without the +30 to all resists

Sorry, I forgot: no help from NPCs other than quest rewards.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:06:03 AM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2005 10:17:25 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >royls@telus.net wrote:

> >> I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!

> >> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
> >> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...

> >> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
> >> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?
> >
> >wow!
> >
> >So this means that
> >
> >1) They clear the den but are not allowed to go get the skill point
> >2) They kill Bloodraven but can not get a merc
> >3) They kill the Smith but cannot get an imbue
> >4) See the Jade Figurine but cannot give it to Meshif
> >5) See the Gidbinn but cannot give it to Ormus
> >6) See the Tome of Lam Esam but cannot give it to Alkor
> >7) Kill Izzy but cannot get the skill points
> >8) Kill Shenck but get no sockets
> >9) Kill Frozenstein but leave Anya to the whims of a pervert (We leave
> >the rest to your imagination) - unless they are required to free Anya
> >so that the Nilly quest must now be done. Either way they end up
> >without the +30 to all resists
>
> Sorry, I forgot: no help from NPCs other than quest rewards.
>
> -- Roy L

Okay, so one may return to town for quest rewards.

Hmm, then when one talks to healers for a quest reward, they will be
healed. Or is there a rule one must have full life to talk with an NPC
that will normally heal?

Now what I need to know is:

1) What are the rules for mercenaries? Can they be ressed?
2) Cain is not allowed to ID items? (If so this tells me that I should
look for a tome of ID in the barracks)
3) No armor repair allowed? This sounds exciting. Therefore must keep
changing to new gear unless one uses cube recipe to repair gear.
4) Is one required to get the Halls of ???? waypoint on the way to
Nihlathak? (I know no Pindle runs allowed, but in case of finishing
Hell the red portal will be open for runs. Also, if no WP and game
crashes one will have to essentially redo area to get to Nilly)
6) I assume that the town treasure chest is not allowed. Is this so?
5) Any other quirks I need to know about?

This is a very interesting way to play. It pretty much determines what
level ranges one will be in when one faces the act ending bosses. I'll
say that with no muling allowed it does simplify things.

Sounds exciting.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:08:10 AM

More questions:

1) Is one requried to use imbue quest before moving to act 2
2) Is one required to use socket quest before moving to next difficulty

In other words are these allowed to be saved or must they be used at
the time of reward.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:11:13 AM

And more:

In multiplayer how do HellForge quests work if an area is supposed to
be cleared and cannot be returned to?

And the all important question:

Upon activating the Ancients, is that it? Is one requried to fight the
mods that come with that activation no ifs ands or buts?

And in HC can one hit escape, exit game and return to the game and
return to the area one was fighting in or is that cheating?

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:16:12 AM

Ahh this sounds like a clearcut set of rules.

Roy, does all this sound right?

But what about my question about the Ancients? Upon activation does
that mean you fight that set of mods no matter what?

How does hellforge work? Did that group do 8 forge runs, one for each
member?

So why was the FBmeteorSorc disqualified?

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:24:04 AM

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
royls@telus.net wrote

>On 6 Jun 2005 10:17:25 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>royls@telus.net wrote:

>>> I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!

>>> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
>>> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...

>>> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
>>> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?
>>
>>wow!
>>
>>So this means that
>>
>>1) They clear the den but are not allowed to go get the skill point
>>2) They kill Bloodraven but can not get a merc
>>3) They kill the Smith but cannot get an imbue
>>4) See the Jade Figurine but cannot give it to Meshif
>>5) See the Gidbinn but cannot give it to Ormus
>>6) See the Tome of Lam Esam but cannot give it to Alkor
>>7) Kill Izzy but cannot get the skill points
>>8) Kill Shenck but get no sockets
>>9) Kill Frozenstein but leave Anya to the whims of a pervert (We leave
>>the rest to your imagination) - unless they are required to free Anya
>>so that the Nilly quest must now be done. Either way they end up
>>without the +30 to all resists
>
>Sorry, I forgot: no help from NPCs other than quest rewards.

Does that mean any NPC with a talking balloon over their head, or only the
people the quest log tells you to?
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

BTW this is their site: http://www.d2-ironman.de

>>The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
>>via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
>>act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
>
> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...

It seems to me that the idea behind their rules is to make rule
violations easier to track. Typical german behaviour maybe ;) . Methinks
if someone has the ambition to play Ironman, he won't be a 'cheater' anyway.

>>That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
>>interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
>>head.
>
> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?

I'll try to translate their rules for you:

- once the town is left, you may only come back for changing the act.
Exception: In Act 2, you have to go back to town once for entering the
palace.
- full clear of all areas, including side branches like Abaddon and such.
- skipped areas due to the rule above: Tristram, Nihlathak Temple, Cow
Level.
- of course, you have to make a break now and then. The next session
will start on the lattest waypoint.
- loot has to be enabled (that implies playing in HC mode).
- teamplay is essential. Stay together, share the treasure, wait for
team members, ...
- no hacks or cheats.
- no quest rewards except Radament, Hellforge, Izual (you have to talk
to him to get to act 5).
- no TPs.
- leaving/rejoining the game is not allowed, except if you dropped due
to a timeout.
- no repairs (except in the cube), no NPC heals, no shopping, no mercs,
no stash(!), no muling.
- no Skellimancers.
- only party members may enter the game.

The two teams that made it to guardians, all at around lvl 85:

Curse-Necro
Medic
Bo-Barb
Lightning Trapsin
Bow Amazon
Summoning Druid
FBMeteorSorc (disqualified)
Ice-Sorc (died at lvl 73)

Lightning Trapsin
Ice-Sorc
Paladin (don't know which variant)
Bow Amazon
FBMeteorSorc (died at lvl 61)
Medic (died at lvl 82)
Summoning Druid
Bo Barb

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:43:56 PM

Orion Ryder schrieb:
> Ahh this sounds like a clearcut set of rules.
>
> Roy, does all this sound right?
>
> But what about my question about the Ancients? Upon activation does
> that mean you fight that set of mods no matter what?

Yup. The 'No casting of TP allowed' rule leaves no other option.

> How does hellforge work? Did that group do 8 forge runs, one for each
> member?

Well I wasn't there, but probably not. If my understanding of their
rules is correct, repeating of areas is not allowed.

> So why was the FBmeteorSorc disqualified?

No idea. I tried to find a report on their site, but their provider
seems to have a problem, I gave the waiting for the pages to load ...

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:57:01 PM

Orion Ryder schrieb:

<snip>

> Okay, so one may return to town for quest rewards.
>
> Hmm, then when one talks to healers for a quest reward, they will be
> healed. Or is there a rule one must have full life to talk with an NPC
> that will normally heal?

No, that would be too fussy.

> Now what I need to know is:
>
> 1) What are the rules for mercenaries? Can they be ressed?

No

> 2) Cain is not allowed to ID items? (If so this tells me that I should
> look for a tome of ID in the barracks)

Yes

> 3) No armor repair allowed? This sounds exciting. Therefore must keep
> changing to new gear unless one uses cube recipe to repair gear.

Exactly

> 4) Is one required to get the Halls of ???? waypoint on the way to
> Nihlathak? (I know no Pindle runs allowed, but in case of finishing
> Hell the red portal will be open for runs. Also, if no WP and game
> crashes one will have to essentially redo area to get to Nilly)

Yes

> 6) I assume that the town treasure chest is not allowed. Is this so?

If you allow it or not makes the difference between normal Ironman and
Ironman the hard way ;) .

> 5) Any other quirks I need to know about?

Try it out and see yourself :) .

> This is a very interesting way to play. It pretty much determines what
> level ranges one will be in when one faces the act ending bosses. I'll
> say that with no muling allowed it does simplify things.

The two rules 'full clear' and 'no repeating of areas' result in
consistent level ranges.

> Sounds exciting.

It certainly is. OTOH, it's very time consuming and sometimes tedious.
Every time I tried it, I gave up because I couldn't get past normal
Duriel (solo Ironman that is). Except when I tried a Skellimancer, where
it became way too tedious for me in early Nightmare.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:30:20 AM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> [...]
> rewards. I know the Rustics did.
>
> >- no TPs.
>
> The Rustics did this as their own choice. I think it was a stroke of
> genius, as it kept the game from bogging down with town visits.
>
> >- leaving/rejoining the game is not allowed, except if you dropped due
> >to a timeout.
> >- no repairs (except in the cube), no NPC heals, no shopping, no mercs,
> >no stash(!), no muling.
>
> Normal ironman allows stash use. There is considerable disagreement
> about mercs. The rest is standard.
>
> >- no Skellimancers.
>
> Is this an anti-lag measure?
>
> >- only party members may enter the game.
>
> The Rustics sometimes had a senior char pre-clear previously cleared
> areas at the beginning of a session, to avoid double clears.
>
> >The two teams that made it to guardians, all at around lvl 85:

Well it appears that there are several variations of how it should be
done, meaning what rules to follow. If an area is cleared a second time
when arriving at a WP this gives an oppurtunity for more XP and items.
I figured that there was a possibility that the characters were
required to *run* to the next location, bypassing the monsters in the
area they already cleared.

Conrats for your wife. Sounds great, A1 Hell Hammerdin. Major wootage
to her.

I'm still hoping my wife gives up on the Disney Toontowns for a bit and
returns to SC to finish the characters that we were working on there.
One pair is almost in Hell and the other is almost in NM.

> The Rustics were:

Let me guess the deaths

> DV-skelemancer
> Enchantress
> MF barb
> Windruid
> Strafazon
> Zealot (died NM HoV)

Bugged Viper

> Kicksin (died NM RW)

Too many sparks from the Lightning Beetles of an ultra strong boss pack

> Ranger (died NM OC)

Quill rat hitting from the side and distracting player from the archres
hitting him from the other side.

> -- Roy L

After making a Guardian and having several other characters in Hell, I
am probably hitting a point where I will soon get bored with the game,
once again. Harcore made the game much more interesting for me when I
hit that point before.

I am tempted to try but need to present myself with a clearcut set of
rules before I do. Naturally I expect to die. My first goal would be to
make it through normal.

I am thinking of using these rules for my attempt at a solo Ironman
test.

1) Scorch each area at least once
2) Secure all waypoints (Exception - Nilly's may be bypassed)
3) No TPs allowed except for rule #5
4) Quest rewards allowed under conditions of rule #5
5) Only allowed to return to town for quest rewards and has to be done
at the end of the playing session (or at start of next one if game
crashes)
6) Treasure chest may be used in town, but only visited at beginning
and end of session.
7) No buying from merchants. Tome of ID needs to be obtained from
barracks/jail.
8) Allowed to talk to healer at finish of session or start of session.
9) No revisits to areas unless starting from WP. Rescorch not required
on way to next area, but may be performed if desired. No revisiting
side areas or areas further back from waypoint arrival. Maximum of
seven tombs counting the true tomb. More than four arcane legs allowed
only if Summoner has not been killed. If game crashes during scorch,
rescorch required (OUCH!).
10) Imbuing and socketing must be used prior to moving to next act.
Runes from act 5 may be saved.
11) Mercenary - may have mercenary.
12) Death of Mercenary - may not ressurect, but may hire new one at
next opportunity. May not delay hiring new one, has to be at time when
first available. The dead mercenary's gear is gone and not usable. May
not return to earlier acts for mercs.
12) Replacement of Mercenary - may be replaced only upon arrival to a
new act. Exception - Replacement of mercs in act 5 may only take place
when receiveing quest reward for barb rescue

I might have to rethink a few things before I attempt it. Keep in mind
this is solo and a bit tougher. Things to consider:

1) Allow merc ressurecting at the start or end of a session.
2) Allow to hire new merc if merc dies, but only at start or end of
session. Dead merc gear is gone for good.

If it were not solo I would consider tougher rules. Say if Bongo and I
attempted a team up of two ironmen.

I think one of the toughest things would be to find the time where a
team of ironmen, even two, would be able to hook up and play an entire
session. Oh, and also anyone not getting bumped from a game.

I'll keep examining my rules and will accept ideas from others before I
give it a shot, that is *IF* I give it a shot.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:02:37 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:24:04 GMT, jerk-o <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote:

>After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
>royls@telus.net wrote
>
>>Sorry, I forgot: no help from NPCs other than quest rewards.
>
>Does that mean any NPC with a talking balloon over their head, or only the
>people the quest log tells you to?

With exclamation point.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:27:44 AM

wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:48:50 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
>> wrote:

>>>Well their is a german site which organizes D2 Ironmans too. At least
>>>two of their teams made it to Guardians a few month ago.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of that. CG to the German ironmen!
>
>BTW this is their site: http://www.d2-ironman.de

Looks great. Too bad I can't read German.

>>>The basic rule of their team games is 'No going to town allowed (either
>>>via TP or waypoint) unless it is required for proceding to the next
>>>act'. That implies that some quests like Cain and Nihlathak are skipped.
>>
>> I'd have to say that quests not done, especially dangerous ones like
>> Nilly -- somewhat attenuates their achievement...
>
>It seems to me that the idea behind their rules is to make rule
>violations easier to track. Typical german behaviour maybe ;) . Methinks
>if someone has the ambition to play Ironman, he won't be a 'cheater' anyway.

No, but some ironman players have a more, er, flexible attitude than
others.

>>>That's even harder than my Ironman style game, where the rule was that
>>>interaction with NPCs is not allowed unless the have the sign over their
>>>head.
>>
>> Indeed. But do they otherwise follow the basic ironman rules? I.e.,
>> no help from other chars or NPCs, full clear with no repeats, etc.?
>
>I'll try to translate their rules for you:
>
>- once the town is left, you may only come back for changing the act.
>Exception: In Act 2, you have to go back to town once for entering the
>palace.

This makes things tougher.

>- full clear of all areas, including side branches like Abaddon and such.

Standard.

>- skipped areas due to the rule above: Tristram, Nihlathak Temple, Cow
>Level.

Ironmen don't do cows, AFAIK. But skipping Nilly and Tristram? That
means uncompleted quests.

>- of course, you have to make a break now and then. The next session
>will start on the lattest waypoint.

That means some areas are cleared twice, once at the end of a game,
and again at the beginning of the next game?

>- loot has to be enabled (that implies playing in HC mode).
>- teamplay is essential. Stay together, share the treasure, wait for
>team members, ...
>- no hacks or cheats.

All standard.

>- no quest rewards except Radament, Hellforge, Izual (you have to talk
>to him to get to act 5).

AFAIK, ironmen complete all quests, which means they get all quest
rewards. I know the Rustics did.

>- no TPs.

The Rustics did this as their own choice. I think it was a stroke of
genius, as it kept the game from bogging down with town visits.

>- leaving/rejoining the game is not allowed, except if you dropped due
>to a timeout.
>- no repairs (except in the cube), no NPC heals, no shopping, no mercs,
>no stash(!), no muling.

Normal ironman allows stash use. There is considerable disagreement
about mercs. The rest is standard.

>- no Skellimancers.

Is this an anti-lag measure?

>- only party members may enter the game.

The Rustics sometimes had a senior char pre-clear previously cleared
areas at the beginning of a session, to avoid double clears.

>The two teams that made it to guardians, all at around lvl 85:
>
>Curse-Necro
>Medic
>Bo-Barb
>Lightning Trapsin
>Bow Amazon
>Summoning Druid
>FBMeteorSorc (disqualified)
>Ice-Sorc (died at lvl 73)
>
>Lightning Trapsin
>Ice-Sorc
>Paladin (don't know which variant)
>Bow Amazon
>FBMeteorSorc (died at lvl 61)
>Medic (died at lvl 82)
>Summoning Druid
>Bo Barb

Very similar teams.

The Rustics were:

DV-skelemancer
Enchantress
MF barb
Windruid
Strafazon
Zealot (died NM HoV)
Kicksin (died NM RW)
Ranger (died NM OC)

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:36:45 AM

On 7 Jun 2005 06:06:03 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hmm, then when one talks to healers for a quest reward, they will be
>healed. Or is there a rule one must have full life to talk with an NPC
>that will normally heal?

You can get healed by talking to them when they have an exclamation
point over their heads.

>Now what I need to know is:
>
>1) What are the rules for mercenaries? Can they be ressed?

There are some differences of opinion about mercs. Some allow all the
quest mercs in A1 and A3. Some allow only the first rogue in Normal.
Mercs may never be ressed.

>2) Cain is not allowed to ID items? (If so this tells me that I should
>look for a tome of ID in the barracks)

One Cain ID before leaving A1 is allowed, and purchase of one of each
tome (otherwise you are too dependent on finding a tome of ID in the
barracks or jail)

>3) No armor repair allowed? This sounds exciting. Therefore must keep
>changing to new gear unless one uses cube recipe to repair gear.

Right.

>4) Is one required to get the Halls of ???? waypoint on the way to
>Nihlathak? (I know no Pindle runs allowed, but in case of finishing
>Hell the red portal will be open for runs. Also, if no WP and game
>crashes one will have to essentially redo area to get to Nilly)

The Rustics sometimes used another char to clear a previously cleared
area, to open the way to a wp.

>6) I assume that the town treasure chest is not allowed. Is this so?

It is normally allowed, but not under the German rules.

>5) Any other quirks I need to know about?

There's been a fair amount of discussion on the Basin forums.

>This is a very interesting way to play. It pretty much determines what
>level ranges one will be in when one faces the act ending bosses. I'll
>say that with no muling allowed it does simplify things.

OTC, it makes gear decisions more difficult.

>Sounds exciting.

Yes indeed.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:48:54 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:57:01 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>Orion Ryder schrieb:
>
>> Sounds exciting.
>
>It certainly is. OTOH, it's very time consuming and sometimes tedious.
>Every time I tried it, I gave up because I couldn't get past normal
>Duriel (solo Ironman that is).

Odd, I don't think Duriel has ever stopped any of my ironmen. If
you're full-clearing, you should be 23 or 24 when you meet him, that
should be a high enough clvl to deal with him. Then you only make
about four levels through the next two acts.

>Except when I tried a Skellimancer, where
>it became way too tedious for me in early Nightmare.

It does take perseverance. My solo ironman skelemancer died to Normal
Diablo (Bone Cage and repeated LBOD when he was down to just a sliver
}:^( Solo ironman is exponentially harder than team.

Do you know if anyone in the German group has made a solo ironman
guardian? My wife's hammerdin died in A1 Hell, that's the farthest
I've heard of a solo getting.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:50:05 AM

On 7 Jun 2005 06:08:10 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>More questions:
>
>1) Is one requried to use imbue quest before moving to act 2

Yes (though the Germans apparently don't do it).

>2) Is one required to use socket quest before moving to next difficulty

Same.

>In other words are these allowed to be saved or must they be used at
>the time of reward.

The Rustics used them. They certainly may not be used later.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:54:12 AM

On 7 Jun 2005 06:11:13 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In multiplayer how do HellForge quests work if an area is supposed to
>be cleared and cannot be returned to?

You do it partied (some of the Rustics unpartied for the Hell forge
quest so they could go back after making guardian and get the runes).

>And the all important question:
>
>Upon activating the Ancients, is that it? Is one requried to fight the
>mods that come with that activation no ifs ands or buts?

The Rustics did. Some say you can re-roll them.

>And in HC can one hit escape, exit game and return to the game and
>return to the area one was fighting in or is that cheating?

Not allowed except to escape lag.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:37:33 PM

royls@telus.net schrieb:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:57:01 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
> wrote:
>
>>Orion Ryder schrieb:
>>
>>>Sounds exciting.
>>
>>It certainly is. OTOH, it's very time consuming and sometimes tedious.
>>Every time I tried it, I gave up because I couldn't get past normal
>>Duriel (solo Ironman that is).
>
> Odd, I don't think Duriel has ever stopped any of my ironmen. If
> you're full-clearing, you should be 23 or 24 when you meet him, that
> should be a high enough clvl to deal with him. Then you only make
> about four levels through the next two acts.

Maybe I should try the full clear next time. It seems to be mandatory.

>>Except when I tried a Skellimancer, where
>>it became way too tedious for me in early Nightmare.
>
> It does take perseverance. My solo ironman skelemancer died to Normal
> Diablo (Bone Cage and repeated LBOD when he was down to just a sliver
> }:^( Solo ironman is exponentially harder than team.
>
> Do you know if anyone in the German group has made a solo ironman
> guardian? My wife's hammerdin died in A1 Hell, that's the farthest
> I've heard of a solo getting.

Wow solo to A1 Hell, I thought this is impossible :) .

The German group focuses on team Ironman, I have not heard of any solo
projects.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:05:52 PM

royls@telus.net schrieb:

<snipping mode enabled>

>>- skipped areas due to the rule above: Tristram, Nihlathak Temple, Cow
>>Level.
>
> Ironmen don't do cows, AFAIK. But skipping Nilly and Tristram? That
> means uncompleted quests.

Yes, and I don't like this either.

>>- of course, you have to make a break now and then. The next session
>>will start on the lattest waypoint.
>
> That means some areas are cleared twice, once at the end of a game,
> and again at the beginning of the next game?

Right. Full clear of the area with the waypoint which is next to the
next new area.

>>- leaving/rejoining the game is not allowed, except if you dropped due
>>to a timeout.
>>- no repairs (except in the cube), no NPC heals, no shopping, no mercs,
>>no stash(!), no muling.
>
> Normal ironman allows stash use. There is considerable disagreement
> about mercs. The rest is standard.

The 'not going back to town' rule implies the inaccessible stash.
Actually I'm not sure if stash access is allowed when proceding to the
next act, but this won't help much anyway.

This seems to be a huge restriction. I mean, inventory/stash management
was one of the most important things with my solo Ironman projects.
Maybe it's not that important in a 8 player party, but still ...

>>- no Skellimancers.
>
> Is this an anti-lag measure?

ROFL. Nice try ;) .

>>- only party members may enter the game.
>
> The Rustics sometimes had a senior char pre-clear previously cleared
> areas at the beginning of a session, to avoid double clears.

Makes sense to me. I did it the same way, mainly to make it a tiny bit
less tedious.

>>The two teams that made it to guardians, all at around lvl 85:
>>
>>Curse-Necro
>>Medic
>>Bo-Barb
>>Lightning Trapsin
>>Bow Amazon
>>Summoning Druid
>>FBMeteorSorc (disqualified)
>>Ice-Sorc (died at lvl 73)
>>
>>Lightning Trapsin
>>Ice-Sorc
>>Paladin (don't know which variant)
>>Bow Amazon
>>FBMeteorSorc (died at lvl 61)
>>Medic (died at lvl 82)
>>Summoning Druid
>>Bo Barb
>
> Very similar teams.

Obviously they have some experiance with team setups. BO Barb, Oak
druid, medic for defence. Trapper, sorcs and zons for offense, supported
by curse necro or conviction paladin, and the team is set.

> The Rustics were:
>
> DV-skelemancer
> Enchantress
> MF barb
> Windruid
> Strafazon
> Zealot (died NM HoV)
> Kicksin (died NM RW)
> Ranger (died NM OC)

In that order ;) . Everyone is hiding behind the skellies ...

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:07:21 PM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2005 06:30:20 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Well it appears that there are several variations of how it should be
> >done, meaning what rules to follow. If an area is cleared a second time
> >when arriving at a WP this gives an oppurtunity for more XP and items.
>
> Right.
>
> >Let me guess the deaths
> >
> >> DV-skelemancer
> >> Enchantress
> >> MF barb
> >> Windruid
> >> Strafazon
> >> Zealot (died NM HoV)
> >
> >Bugged Viper
>
> I think that's right.
>
> >> Kicksin (died NM RW)
> >
> >Too many sparks from the Lightning Beetles of an ultra strong boss pack
>
> Actually, it was lag and the 'sin's habit of leading.

Yeah I know a 'sin that has a habit somewhat like that, but has been
learning to kick that habit somewhat as opposed to all the FE bosses in
NM.

> >> Ranger (died NM OC)
> >
> >Quill rat hitting from the side and distracting player from the archres
> >hitting him from the other side.
>
> It was more a lapse in teamwork and RL issues (the player was on heavy
> pain meds, among other things).

RL? Realm lag?

In a Cheech voice "Oh wow man, I died. Far out! Look at that man. My
deeds of valor will be remembered."

Unfortunate.

> >I am thinking of using these rules for my attempt at a solo Ironman
> >test.
> >
> >1) Scorch each area at least once
>
> Once only, please.

All right then, when begining a session the last waypoint in a
previously scorched area is one required to *run* to the next area and
not fight anything. Can one take the "long, scenic" on the way to the
next area. These are very important rules here.

> >2) Secure all waypoints (Exception - Nilly's may be bypassed)
> >3) No TPs allowed except for rule #5
>
> Why?

I can't tell if the "why" is aimed at the "no TPs" or the exception.

> >4) Quest rewards allowed under conditions of rule #5
> >5) Only allowed to return to town for quest rewards and has to be done
> >at the end of the playing session (or at start of next one if game
> >crashes)
> >6) Treasure chest may be used in town, but only visited at beginning
> >and end of session.
> >7) No buying from merchants. Tome of ID needs to be obtained from
> >barracks/jail.
>
> To me, this makes the char too dependent on finding an ID tome.

>From my experience I think it is a given that one will be found.

I can make an exception in that either
1) One may be purchased if one has not been found after leaving
barracks/jail area in normal for good
2) One may be allowed to redo jail until one finds one, andthen must
move on.

> >8) Allowed to talk to healer at finish of session or start of session.
> >9) No revisits to areas unless starting from WP. Rescorch not required
> >on way to next area, but may be performed if desired. No revisiting
> >side areas or areas further back from waypoint arrival. Maximum of
> >seven tombs counting the true tomb. More than four arcane legs allowed
> >only if Summoner has not been killed. If game crashes during scorch,
> >rescorch required (OUCH!).
> >10) Imbuing and socketing must be used prior to moving to next act.
> >Runes from act 5 may be saved.
> >11) Mercenary - may have mercenary.
> >12) Death of Mercenary - may not ressurect, but may hire new one at
> >next opportunity. May not delay hiring new one, has to be at time when
> >first available. The dead mercenary's gear is gone and not usable. May
> >not return to earlier acts for mercs.
> >12) Replacement of Mercenary - may be replaced only upon arrival to a
> >new act. Exception - Replacement of mercs in act 5 may only take place
> >when receiveing quest reward for barb rescue
> >
> >I might have to rethink a few things before I attempt it. Keep in mind
> >this is solo and a bit tougher.
>
> A _lot_ tougher.
>
> >Things to consider:
> >
> >1) Allow merc ressurecting at the start or end of a session.
> >2) Allow to hire new merc if merc dies, but only at start or end of
> >session. Dead merc gear is gone for good.
>
> The _most_ merc use I have heard of in ironman is getting _one_ for
> each A1 and A3 merc quest, and _no_ resurrections.

Even for solo play? Is this the way it is done? All the time? None at
all? If that is it then so be it. I thought I had seen something in
other posts somewhere about merc ressing being a possibilitydepending
on what rules are used. It's still not clear to me about usage of
stash.

This is worse than the rules for Pinochle which seem to change when
ones drives into the next town over to play the game.

I wish there was a place where rules for this were laid out as well as
variants. If I play a Javazon then I have a valk which is essentially
like having a merc with free ressurrecting but certain other
limitations. (And a Decoy to take some attention off the zon)

Orion to Diablo (Val Kilmer in Doc Holiday voice) "A'm yowah
Huckleberry"

IronMan Hardcore Mantra:

Live forever or at least feel like it while you are alive.

Orion Ryder

> -- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:09:41 PM

You mean those "precious" TP scrolls that aren't allowed?

Just think, no more hitting a beast with your town portal instead of a
blizzard, either by realm lag or not clicking to change skill.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:40:48 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:05:52 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>
>> Normal ironman allows stash use. There is considerable disagreement
>> about mercs. The rest is standard.
>
>The 'not going back to town' rule implies the inaccessible stash.
>Actually I'm not sure if stash access is allowed when proceding to the
>next act, but this won't help much anyway.

It would be waaay better than nothing.

>This seems to be a huge restriction. I mean, inventory/stash management
>was one of the most important things with my solo Ironman projects.
>Maybe it's not that important in a 8 player party, but still ...

I don't know which is a bigger handicap, that or no quests.

>>>- no Skellimancers.
>>
>> Is this an anti-lag measure?
>
>ROFL. Nice try ;) .

Then I'm not sure why. Seems very artificial.

>> The Rustics were:
>>
>> DV-skelemancer
>> Enchantress
>> MF barb
>> Windruid
>> Strafazon
>> Zealot (died NM HoV)
>> Kicksin (died NM RW)
>> Ranger (died NM OC)
>
>In that order ;) . Everyone is hiding behind the skellies ...

No, they weren't. But they did "hide" behind a maxed DV, or they
didn't make it (see the three deaths, all of which were to uncursed
monsters). The enchantress was actually tping ahead a lot (and drank
the lion's share of the team's purples), and the skels were kept to a
minimum to reduce lag.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:55:29 PM

wrote:

>Well it appears that there are several variations of how it should be
>done, meaning what rules to follow. If an area is cleared a second time
>when arriving at a WP this gives an oppurtunity for more XP and items.

Right.

>Let me guess the deaths
>
>> DV-skelemancer
>> Enchantress
>> MF barb
>> Windruid
>> Strafazon
>> Zealot (died NM HoV)
>
>Bugged Viper

I think that's right.

>> Kicksin (died NM RW)
>
>Too many sparks from the Lightning Beetles of an ultra strong boss pack

Actually, it was lag and the 'sin's habit of leading.

>> Ranger (died NM OC)
>
>Quill rat hitting from the side and distracting player from the archres
>hitting him from the other side.

It was more a lapse in teamwork and RL issues (the player was on heavy
pain meds, among other things).

>I am thinking of using these rules for my attempt at a solo Ironman
>test.
>
>1) Scorch each area at least once

Once only, please.

>2) Secure all waypoints (Exception - Nilly's may be bypassed)
>3) No TPs allowed except for rule #5

Why?

>4) Quest rewards allowed under conditions of rule #5
>5) Only allowed to return to town for quest rewards and has to be done
>at the end of the playing session (or at start of next one if game
>crashes)
>6) Treasure chest may be used in town, but only visited at beginning
>and end of session.
>7) No buying from merchants. Tome of ID needs to be obtained from
>barracks/jail.

To me, this makes the char too dependent on finding an ID tome.

>8) Allowed to talk to healer at finish of session or start of session.
>9) No revisits to areas unless starting from WP. Rescorch not required
>on way to next area, but may be performed if desired. No revisiting
>side areas or areas further back from waypoint arrival. Maximum of
>seven tombs counting the true tomb. More than four arcane legs allowed
>only if Summoner has not been killed. If game crashes during scorch,
>rescorch required (OUCH!).
>10) Imbuing and socketing must be used prior to moving to next act.
>Runes from act 5 may be saved.
>11) Mercenary - may have mercenary.
>12) Death of Mercenary - may not ressurect, but may hire new one at
>next opportunity. May not delay hiring new one, has to be at time when
>first available. The dead mercenary's gear is gone and not usable. May
>not return to earlier acts for mercs.
>12) Replacement of Mercenary - may be replaced only upon arrival to a
>new act. Exception - Replacement of mercs in act 5 may only take place
>when receiveing quest reward for barb rescue
>
>I might have to rethink a few things before I attempt it. Keep in mind
>this is solo and a bit tougher.

A _lot_ tougher.

>Things to consider:
>
>1) Allow merc ressurecting at the start or end of a session.
>2) Allow to hire new merc if merc dies, but only at start or end of
>session. Dead merc gear is gone for good.

The _most_ merc use I have heard of in ironman is getting _one_ for
each A1 and A3 merc quest, and _no_ resurrections.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:00:56 PM

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
royls@telus.net wrote

>On 7 Jun 2005 06:11:13 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In multiplayer how do HellForge quests work if an area is supposed to
>>be cleared and cannot be returned to?
>
>You do it partied (some of the Rustics unpartied for the Hell forge
>quest so they could go back after making guardian and get the runes).
>
>>And the all important question:
>>
>>Upon activating the Ancients, is that it? Is one requried to fight the
>>mods that come with that activation no ifs ands or buts?
>
>The Rustics did. Some say you can re-roll them.

Of course, to reroll the Ancients, you do have to use one of your precious TP
scrolls.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002
http://www.geocities.com/nameless_mod
-My Diablo 2 Mod
-My theme song
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:28:27 PM

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote

>You mean those "precious" TP scrolls that aren't allowed?

It's mine. My TP scroll, my *precious*!

>Just think, no more hitting a beast with your town portal instead of a
>blizzard, either by realm lag or not clicking to change skill.

--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002
http://www.geocities.com/nameless_mod
-My Diablo 2 Mod
-My theme song
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:31:51 AM

royls@telus.net schrieb:

>>>Is this an anti-lag measure?
>>
>>ROFL. Nice try ;) .
>
> Then I'm not sure why. Seems very artificial.

I just found a thread on their forum just about that rule. They argue
that Ironman would be too easy with skellies allowed. And I agree.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:39:02 AM

On 8 Jun 2005 12:07:21 -0700, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net wrote:

>> >Quill rat hitting from the side and distracting player from the archres
>> >hitting him from the other side.
>>
>> It was more a lapse in teamwork and RL issues (the player was on heavy
>> pain meds, among other things).
>
>RL? Realm lag?

"Real Life."

>> >I am thinking of using these rules for my attempt at a solo Ironman
>> >test.
>> >
>> >1) Scorch each area at least once
>>
>> Once only, please.
>
>All right then, when begining a session the last waypoint in a
>previously scorched area is one required to *run* to the next area and
>not fight anything. Can one take the "long, scenic" on the way to the
>next area. These are very important rules here.

In SP, I usually try to end a session on a wp that can be reached
without fighting in the area, like CP, Arcane or RoF. Granted, there
are some long hauls: the fields of A1, the deserts of A2, the jungles
of A3 and the tundra of A5. I allow two clears of the Crystalline
Passage if the wp is not near the stairs to the GT.

>> >2) Secure all waypoints (Exception - Nilly's may be bypassed)
>> >3) No TPs allowed except for rule #5
>>
>> Why?
>
>I can't tell if the "why" is aimed at the "no TPs" or the exception.

Why no TPs?

>> >4) Quest rewards allowed under conditions of rule #5
>> >5) Only allowed to return to town for quest rewards and has to be done
>> >at the end of the playing session (or at start of next one if game
>> >crashes)
>> >6) Treasure chest may be used in town, but only visited at beginning
>> >and end of session.
>> >7) No buying from merchants. Tome of ID needs to be obtained from
>> >barracks/jail.
>>
>> To me, this makes the char too dependent on finding an ID tome.
>
>>From my experience I think it is a given that one will be found.

More like 50-50, IME. I once got nine, count 'em, _nine_ items from
bookshelves in A1 Normal, and not one was a tome of ID.

>I can make an exception in that either
>1) One may be purchased if one has not been found after leaving
>barracks/jail area in normal for good
>2) One may be allowed to redo jail until one finds one, andthen must
>move on.

I'd be willing to buy one only after the Jail did not cough up, but
redoing the area makes subsequent areas easier.

>> >Things to consider:
>> >
>> >1) Allow merc ressurecting at the start or end of a session.
>> >2) Allow to hire new merc if merc dies, but only at start or end of
>> >session. Dead merc gear is gone for good.
>>
>> The _most_ merc use I have heard of in ironman is getting _one_ for
>> each A1 and A3 merc quest, and _no_ resurrections.
>
>Even for solo play?

Yes.

>Is this the way it is done? All the time? None at all?

Yep.

>If that is it then so be it. I thought I had seen something in
>other posts somewhere about merc ressing being a possibilitydepending
>on what rules are used. It's still not clear to me about usage of
>stash.

I don't know why the no-tp and no-stash rules.

>This is worse than the rules for Pinochle which seem to change when
>ones drives into the next town over to play the game.

Yes, unfortunately there is no standard, but the discussion on AB
addresses most of the outstanding issues.

>I wish there was a place where rules for this were laid out as well as
>variants. If I play a Javazon then I have a valk which is essentially
>like having a merc with free ressurrecting but certain other
>limitations. (And a Decoy to take some attention off the zon)

But where do you get her _javs_?? I'm playing an ironman javazon now,
and she is having to use spear skills a _lot_. All the classes have
weak and strong points. Having a solid castable minion is admittedly
a very strong point.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:43:26 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:31:51 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>>>ROFL. Nice try ;) .
>>
>> Then I'm not sure why. Seems very artificial.
>
>I just found a thread on their forum just about that rule. They argue
>that Ironman would be too easy with skellies allowed. And I agree.

Have any of them taken a solo ironman skelemancer to guardian?

IMO it's not skellies but curses like DV and Amp (which breaks
immunities) and the huge advantages to teams that make team ironman
too easy.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:36:17 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Orion Ryder wrote:
> >
> > Orion to Diablo (Val Kilmer in Doc Holiday voice) "A'm yowah
> > Huckleberry"
>
> One of my all-time favourite lines in a movie, and Val Kilmer's best role by
> far.
> --
> ~misfit~

As far as I'm concerned anyone who has that as an all time favorite
line in no way do they deserve to have bad ISP service.

And also as far as I'm concerned that is the only movie that Val Kilmer
ever played in.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:02:45 PM

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Orion Ryder wrote:
> > >
> > > Orion to Diablo (Val Kilmer in Doc Holiday voice) "A'm yowah
> > > Huckleberry"
> >
> > One of my all-time favourite lines in a movie, and Val Kilmer's best
role by
> > far.
> > --
> > ~misfit~
>
> As far as I'm concerned anyone who has that as an all time favorite
> line in no way do they deserve to have bad ISP service.
>
> And also as far as I'm concerned that is the only movie that Val Kilmer
> ever played in.
>
> Orion Ryder

Did you ever see a movie called "Heat"?

short