Cannot remove read only attribute

When I select a write protected folder with Windows Explorer and try to
remove the read only attribute in the property dialog, it looks like it
works - but when I close the dialog and immediately return to it, the read
only attribute is there again !

Someone with an explanation ?

/BosseH
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot remove read attribute

    Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

    [[Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
    and other programs.]]

    Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B326549

    -----

    The gray state means...

    [[Microsoft calls this a tri-mode flag. When it has gray in the background,
    it indicates that some file or folder anywhere under that particular folder
    has been set to Read-only.

    This checkmark does not actually control the Read-only attribute on the
    child files and folder. It just displays their status.]]

    Rally 'Round the Tri-Mode Flag
    http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=652

    If you uncheck the Read-Only attribute, Windows will prompt you to confirm
    your changes.

    -----
    You have chosen to make the following attribute change(s):

    unset read-only

    Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to
    apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
    -----

    Click the option that you want, and then click OK.
    ---

    Basically this means nothing for folders.

    [[Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not
    a folder is customized.]]
    Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder

    You can't remove the read-only attribute from a folder?
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3212.htm

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uG63LDXNFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Bo Hansson <bo1.hansson@telia.com> hunted and pecked:

    Bo Hansson <bo1.hansson@telia.com> typed:

    > When I select a write protected folder with Windows Explorer
    > and try
    > to remove the read only attribute in the property dialog, it
    > looks
    > like it works - but when I close the dialog and immediately
    > return to
    > it, the read only attribute is there again !
    >
    > Someone with an explanation ?

    If you'll look more closely at the check mark in that Read-Only
    box, you'll see that it's gray, not black. You can also verify
    this by clicking a few times in the box; it will cycle among
    *three* states: unchecked, checked in black, and checked in gray.

    A black check means the item is read-only and an unchecked box
    means it's not read-only. But the gray check means that it's
    neither: the read-only attribute is not pertinent to folders.

    So no, your folders aren't read-only, and what you are seeing is
    perfectly normal. There's nothing to worry about and nothing to
    fix.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Windows Explorer Read Only Dialog Windows XP