dlink DI-624 work and home question????

JA

Hello,

I have a laptop that's configured to work wireless in my office in a
small lan on a DI-624 wireless router. The settings for my laptop in
the network configuration section are:
ip address: 192.168.254.201
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.254.254
pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
alt. dns: 64.105.166.122

I have purchased another DI-624 wireless router for home. I am
intending to setup my laptop to work at home as well. I have an SBC
home portal.

Without affecting the settings in the laptop to work at the office,
how can I set the laptop to work at home and my office?

TIA.

ja

ja wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a laptop that's configured to work wireless in my office in a
>small lan on a DI-624 wireless router. The settings for my laptop in
>the network configuration section are:
>ip address: 192.168.254.201
>subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
>default gateway: 192.168.254.254
>pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
>alt. dns: 64.105.166.122
>
>I have purchased another DI-624 wireless router for home. I am
>intending to setup my laptop to work at home as well. I have an SBC
>home portal.
>
>Without affecting the settings in the laptop to work at the office,
>how can I set the laptop to work at home and my office?
>
>TIA.
>
>ja

Is your address at work a static address? If so, it might be best to use
the same addresses at home.

If the addresses are DHCP assigned, it should work OK regardless of the
subnet used.

BigJim

just give your home router a different name from the one at work
and a different security code
"ja" <ja@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop that's configured to work wireless in my office in a
> small lan on a DI-624 wireless router. The settings for my laptop in
> the network configuration section are:
> ip address: 192.168.254.201
> subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> default gateway: 192.168.254.254
> pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
> alt. dns: 64.105.166.122
>
> I have purchased another DI-624 wireless router for home. I am
> intending to setup my laptop to work at home as well. I have an SBC
> home portal.
>
> Without affecting the settings in the laptop to work at the office,
> how can I set the laptop to work at home and my office?
>
> TIA.
>
> ja

JA

<Is your address at work a static address?
Yes, it is

<If the addresses are DHCP assigned, it should work OK regardless of
the subnet used.
Are you referring to the work setup? If yes, No, they're not.

not with static DNS etc.
unless your home ISP's DSN is the same as office and your default gateway
has the same IP.

"ja" <ja@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop that's configured to work wireless in my office in a
> small lan on a DI-624 wireless router. The settings for my laptop in
> the network configuration section are:
> ip address: 192.168.254.201
> subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> default gateway: 192.168.254.254
> pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
> alt. dns: 64.105.166.122
>
> I have purchased another DI-624 wireless router for home. I am
> intending to setup my laptop to work at home as well. I have an SBC
> home portal.
>
> Without affecting the settings in the laptop to work at the office,
> how can I set the laptop to work at home and my office?
>
> TIA.
>
> ja

I dunno much nitworking but would think...
The easy way is to make your dlink router have the same ...
default gateway: 192.168.254.254
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
and adjust or make sure your IP address: 192.168.254.201 is not in the DHCP
range in the router.

Existing DNS may or may not work ,,, you most likely can in your computers
network settings for the nic/connection add a third DNS for your isp if need
be.

pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
alt. dns: 64.105.166.122

"ja" <ja@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop that's configured to work wireless in my office in a
> small lan on a DI-624 wireless router. The settings for my laptop in
> the network configuration section are:
> ip address: 192.168.254.201
> subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> default gateway: 192.168.254.254
> pref. dns: 64.105.132.250
> alt. dns: 64.105.166.122
>
> I have purchased another DI-624 wireless router for home. I am
> intending to setup my laptop to work at home as well. I have an SBC
> home portal.
>
> Without affecting the settings in the laptop to work at the office,
> how can I set the laptop to work at home and my office?
>
> TIA.
>
> ja

JA

Thank you all for your input. I will try to set up the home router to
as suggested by bumtracks. I will keep you posted.

ja