Windows Explorer opens on boot up

pj

I'm running WindowsXP Pro-SP2 on a system with a new hard drive
installed. All updates have been installed. Ad-Aware and Spybot-S&D
have been run. System appears to be clean.

My problem started about a week ago. When the system is powered up
and it boots to completion, Windows Explorer opens and displays the
directory "E:\WINDOWS\system32". (Note: my boot drive was
assigned as E: by XP during the initial installation of XP) Also, when
this
happens Explorer does not come up with folders listed in the left pane
as
it does when I open it from my task bar.

I've looked in program 'startup' and also in 'msconfig'. I don't
recognize
anything that might be causing Explorer to start. BTW, I don't appear
be having any other issues with the system.

Any advice and help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
PJ

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
to Item No. 260. In the right column, click on "System32 Folder Opens
Upon Boot". Download this repair file and then run the repair.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"PJ" wrote:

| I'm running WindowsXP Pro-SP2 on a system with a new hard drive
| installed. All updates have been installed. Ad-Aware and Spybot-S&D
| have been run. System appears to be clean.
|
| My problem started about a week ago. When the system is powered up
| and it boots to completion, Windows Explorer opens and displays the
| directory "E:\WINDOWS\system32". (Note: my boot drive was
| assigned as E: by XP during the initial installation of XP) Also, when
| this
| happens Explorer does not come up with folders listed in the left pane
| as
| it does when I open it from my task bar.
|
| I've looked in program 'startup' and also in 'msconfig'. I don't
| recognize
| anything that might be causing Explorer to start. BTW, I don't appear
| be having any other issues with the system.
|
| Any advice and help will be much appreciated.
| Thanks,
| PJ

pj

Thank you Carey,

I did as suggested and downloaded the repair. It posted a message
back:
"This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was
not found."

I also took a look in regedit as described in the MS URL that you
offered.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
Has 2 entries:
(default) REG_SZ (value not set)
ctfmon.exe REG_SZ E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Has 7 entries:
(default) REG_SZ (value not set)
BJCFD REG_SZ E:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
CaAvTray REG_SZ "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ
Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
cat REG_SZ (Note: This line does not have any data in this registry
field. It's blank.)
CAVRID REG_SZ "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ
Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
QuickTime Task REG_SZ "E:\Program
Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
SunJavaUpdateSched REG_SZ E:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe

As you can imagine, I have not a clue..!!

I appreciate your reply and any other suggestions that you might
offer.

PJ

> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086
>
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
> to Item No. 260. In the right column, click on "System32 Folder
> Opens
> Upon Boot". Download this repair file and then run the repair.
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "PJ" wrote:
>
> | I'm running WindowsXP Pro-SP2 on a system with a new hard drive
> | installed. All updates have been installed. Ad-Aware and
> Spybot-S&D
> | have been run. System appears to be clean.
> |
> | My problem started about a week ago. When the system is powered up
> | and it boots to completion, Windows Explorer opens and displays
> the
> | directory "E:\WINDOWS\system32". (Note: my boot drive was
> | assigned as E: by XP during the initial installation of XP) Also,
> when
> | this
> | happens Explorer does not come up with folders listed in the left
> pane
> | as
> | it does when I open it from my task bar.
> |
> | I've looked in program 'startup' and also in 'msconfig'. I don't
> | recognize
> | anything that might be causing Explorer to start. BTW, I don't
> appear
> | be having any other issues with the system.
> |
> | Any advice and help will be much appreciated.
> | Thanks,
> | PJ

pj

Ok..

After not getting any additional responses, I took a look around in the various
configuration spots on my system. I noted in another thread some mention of
SpywareBlaster and recalled that my problem began after installing this program.
When opening SpywareBlaster >tools>Browser Pages> There is an item listing that
states:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\blank.htm
"The more info on item" button indicates that it is the Current Users Local
Page. It recommends that I be careful in changing it, so I did not.

Next: I ran msconfig. On the startup pane there is an item checked for startup
that does not have a startup item name or command listed but has a location of:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I do not find such a location using Windows Explorer, however, after pondering
this for a while, I discovered that it was referring to the registry where I
found the listing -
with this entry:
cat REG_SZ
(Please Note: the data field is totally blank.)

I believe this is to be one and the same. I unchecked the item in msconfig>startup
and
all seems to be ok now.

Can anyone offer an explanation or shed some light on how to fix this issue in a
proper manner as I'm now starting my system in Selective Startup each time?

Thanks,
PJ

PJ wrote:
> Thank you Carey,
>
> I did as suggested and downloaded the repair. It posted a message back: "This
> script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found."
>
> I also took a look in regedit as described in the MS URL that you offered.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
> Has 2 entries:
> (default) REG_SZ (value not set)
> ctfmon.exe REG_SZ E:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> Has 7 entries:
> (default) REG_SZ (value not set)
> BJCFD REG_SZ E:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
> CaAvTray REG_SZ "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ
> Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
> cat REG_SZ (Note: data field is blank.)
> CAVRID REG_SZ "E:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ
> Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
> QuickTime Task REG_SZ "E:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
> SunJavaUpdateSched REG_SZ E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
>
> As you can imagine, I have not a clue..!!
>
> I appreciate your reply and any other suggestions that you might offer.
>
> PJ
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in message
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170086
>>
>> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
>> to Item No. 260. In the right column, click on "System32 Folder Opens
>> Upon Boot". Download this repair file and then run the repair.
>>
>> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>>
>> "PJ" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running WindowsXP Pro-SP2 on a system with a new hard drive
>>> installed. All updates have been installed. Ad-Aware and Spybot-S&D
>>> have been run. System appears to be clean.
>>>
>>> My problem started about a week ago. When the system is powered up
>>> and it boots to completion, Windows Explorer opens and displays the
>>> directory "E:\WINDOWS\system32". (Note: my boot drive was
>>> assigned as E: by XP during the initial installation of XP) Also, when this
>>> happens Explorer does not come up with folders listed in the left pane
>>> as it does when I open it from my task bar.
>>>
>>> I've looked in program 'startup' and also in 'msconfig'. I don't recognize
>>> anything that might be causing Explorer to start. BTW, I don't appear
>>> to be having any other issues with the system.
>>>
>>> Any advice and help will be much appreciated.
>>> Thanks,
>>> PJ

pj

An update for _all_ that might be interested:

I _NOW_ know this is virgin ground, so I will tell it like I
discovered the events. I believe the lack of response is due
to the *"WTF"* factor, So I'll report what I seem to have found.
(I know that I could be wrong - BUT - My system is NOW working ok.)

I had installed a functional banner on my Desktop display. It was a
banner called "Code Amber Ticker" - This is a Amber alert system
in the U.S.A. that notifies the general public about children that have
been kidnapped. I had installed the exe file and it worked just fine.
About the same time that my problem manifested itself, I had disabled
its function on startup so that I could select it at my discretion.

The description below (previous posts) relates to the banner in its entirety.

I have NOW de-installed the program and all is A-OK.. However, I still
have to start my system in Selective Start as I have NO clue how to
remove this item from the msconfig file. The registry entry entries have
all been cleared with the de-install.
BTW!! I know I'll have to invest in extensive research to resolve how
to remove the item from msconfig. I have NO _hope_ here..!!!!

As I have noted, and have NOT received, I do NOT expect a response
to this message as this is "virgin ground". SO, I'm posting this just so other
might be aware of the extreme difficulties that I've been through and so
someone else might be able to resolve a similar problem.

Hey, I might be "new" to XP.. BUT, I've been around since the very
inception of the 'PC'. My only thought to invoke help, was that I was
unsure of the ground that I was standing on.

Thanks for all of the help (NOT)..!!

PJ
PS: I Sincerely hope that others might benefit from the resolution..!!!!
(Well - almost resolution..!!)