XP Upgrade version ok to use?

Hi,

I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written on
it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken assumption
(abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a copy
of ME running.

Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
installation.

Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the Registered
User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me, with a PID code, as
well.

Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left with a
$90 coaster!

Tess
15 answers Last reply
More about upgrade version

    In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
    Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    > given
    > the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    > keycode
    > written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
    > under the
    > mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
    > would
    > install as long as I had a copy of ME running.

    No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
    You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
    Upgrade copy of Windows XP.

    > Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
    > a bit
    > of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
    > disk
    > during installation.

    No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
    XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
    of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
    version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Tess in TN wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
    > machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written on
    > it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken assumption
    > (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a copy
    > of ME running.
    >
    > Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
    > factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
    > installation.

    No you don't. You can do an in-place upgrade as you have ME already on
    your machine.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    > In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
    > Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    > > given
    > > the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    > > keycode
    > > written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
    > > under the
    > > mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
    > > would
    > > install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
    >

    > No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
    > You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
    > Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
    >

    > > Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
    > > a bit
    > > of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
    > > disk
    > > during installation.
    >

    > No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
    > XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
    > of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
    > version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > > Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    > > Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
    > > me,
    > > with a PID code, as well.
    > >
    > > Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
    > > left
    > > with a $90 coaster!
    > >
    > > Tess

    I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
    machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd set. Can I
    do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it asks for the
    previous version?

    Brian Gotjunk wrote:
    >> In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
    >> Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    >>> given
    >>> the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    >>> keycode
    >>> written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
    >>> under the
    >>> mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
    >>> would
    >>> install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
    >>

    >> No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
    >> You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
    >> Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
    >>

    >>> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
    >>> a bit
    >>> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
    >>> disk
    >>> during installation.
    >>

    >> No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
    >> XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
    >> of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
    >> version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    >>> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
    >>> me,
    >>> with a PID code, as well.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
    >>> left
    >>> with a $90 coaster!
    >>>
    >>> Tess
    >>

    > I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
    > machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd
    > set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it
    > asks for the previous version?

    You may not need the ME Recovery Disk to prove you have a legitimate license
    to a previous Windows product in order to use the Windows XP Retail Upgrade
    CD.

    Here is my experience of using the XP Retail Upgrade CD to do a clean
    install of XP.

    1) I had an existing installation of Windows on my HD.
    2) My HD was partitioned as one partition filling all available free space.
    3) My HD was formatted as NTFS.
    4) I started the new XP Install by booting with the XP Retail Upgrade CD.
    5) Once the machine booted, and I started the XP installation, I deleted all
    partitions on the HD, then I formatted the new partition as NTFS
    6) During Setup, I was NEVER, at ANY TIME, asked for proof of qualifying
    media. This means that I did not have to insert a CD to prove I had
    qualifying media. My only conclusion is that the existing installation of
    Windows on my HD previous to starting Setup was accepted as qualifying
    media.

    Conclusion?
    You do not need qualifying media to use the Windows XP Retail Upgrade CD to
    perform a clean install IF, and I repeat, IF you have an existing
    installation of Windows 9x/ME/NT 4.1/2k/Windows XP on the HD on which you
    plan to do the clean install.

    So, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT use fdisk/format (or a third party tool
    like Partition Magic) from a Windows 9x boot disk to partition and format
    your HD prior to starting Setup from the XP Retail Upgrade CD. If you do
    so, you will HAVE to insert a CD from a previous version of 95/9x/ME/NT
    4.x/2k/XP to prove you have qualifying media.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,

    In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:

    > I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of
    > XP on a
    > machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore
    > cd
    > set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
    > when it
    > asks for the previous version?

    No, not directly.

    However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM
    restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
    complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore
    CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored system,
    and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press
    Esc to delete the partition and start over.

    > In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:
    >
    > > I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of
    > > XP on a
    > > machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore
    > > cd
    > > set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
    > > when it
    > > asks for the previous version?
    >

    > No, not directly.
    >
    > However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM
    > restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
    > complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore
    > CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored system,
    > and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press
    > Esc to delete the partition and start over.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you for the information

    In news:eHjqFZiOFHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    If_Its_Junk <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> typed:

    >> In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install
    >>> of
    >>> XP on a
    >>> machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME
    >>> Restore
    >>> cd
    >>> set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
    >>> when it
    >>> asks for the previous version?
    >>

    >> No, not directly.
    >>
    >> However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an
    >> OEM
    >> restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
    >> complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the
    >> Restore
    >> CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored
    >> system,
    >> and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where,
    >> press
    >> Esc to delete the partition and start over.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    > Thank you for the information

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Brian Gotjunk wrote:

    >>In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
    >>Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>

    >>>I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    >>>given
    >>>the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    >>>keycode
    >>>written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
    >>>under the
    >>>mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
    >>>would
    >>>install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
    >>

    >>No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
    >>You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
    >>Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
    >>

    >>>Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
    >>>a bit
    >>>of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
    >>>disk
    >>>during installation.
    >>

    >>No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
    >>XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
    >>of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
    >>version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>>Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    >>>Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
    >>>me,
    >>>with a PID code, as well.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
    >>>left
    >>>with a $90 coaster!
    >>>
    >>>Tess
    >>

    > I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
    > machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd set. Can I
    > do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it asks for the
    > previous version?

    If I remember correctly, it asks for the previous version *before* you
    do the partitioning......

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
    > machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written
    > on
    > it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
    > assumption
    > (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a
    > copy
    > of ME running.
    >
    > Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
    > factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
    > installation.
    >
    > Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the Registered
    > User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me, with a PID code,
    > as
    > well.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left with
    > $90 coaster!
    >
    > Tess

    You don't need ME on the machine to install XP. You will need the ME CD as
    the XP installation process will ask for it to check you have a licenced
    version (previous version) of Windows to allow the Upgrade install.

    So keep the ME disk handy - you won't need the cd-key of the ME disk all the
    system does is check you have a previous version.

    Then it will proceed and you'll only need the XP disk and cd-key for XP.

    Andrew Murray wrote:
    > "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    >> given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    >> keycode written on
    >> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
    >> assumption
    >> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
    >> had a copy
    >> of ME running.
    >>
    >> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
    >> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
    >> during installation.
    >>
    >> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    >> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
    >> with a PID code, as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
    >> with a
    >> $90 coaster!
    >>
    >> Tess
    >
    > You don't need ME on the machine to install XP. You will need the
    > ME CD as the XP installation process will ask for it to check you
    > have a licenced version (previous version) of Windows to allow the
    > Upgrade install.
    > So keep the ME disk handy - you won't need the cd-key of the ME disk
    > all the system does is check you have a previous version.
    >
    > Then it will proceed and you'll only need the XP disk and cd-key for
    > XP.
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0514-3, 04 10 2005
    > Tested on: 4/10/2005 9:18:15 AM

    Contrary to any information you might have gotten, the XP Retail Upgrade CD
    WILL work if you already have a copy of ME on your HD. In fact, this is the
    way Microsoft engineers designed the XP Retail Upgrade. It was designed
    from the ground up to "upgrade" existing installations of Windows.

    The XP Retail Upgrade CD will also do a "clean" install of XP if you have an
    existing installation of Windows on your HD, and will NOT ask for qualifying
    media IF, and IF you boot the machine using the XP install CD AND there is
    an existing qualifying installation of a previous version of Windows
    (including ME) on the HD. Just delete all partitions and recreate them
    AFTER having started the XP Retail Upgrade installation. In other words, do
    NOT use fdisk/format to prepare your HDs to receive XP. If you DO partition
    and format your HD from within DOS, the XP Retail Upgrade install program
    WILL ask for proof of qualifying media.

    If you DON'T have an existing installation of a previous version of Windows
    on your HD, the XP Retail Upgrade WILL ask for proof of qualifying media
    before it will complete the install.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,
    so that the thread may be kept intact.
    ==============================

    you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP and
    then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the upgrade
    compliance.

    Andrew Murray wrote:
    > you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP
    > and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
    > upgrade compliance.
    >
    > "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    >> given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    >> keycode written on
    >> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
    >> assumption
    >> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
    >> had a copy
    >> of ME running.
    >>
    >> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
    >> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
    >> during installation.
    >>
    >> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    >> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
    >> with a PID code, as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
    >> with a
    >> $90 coaster!
    >>
    >> Tess

    Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk. All that will happen will
    be that the XP installer will have an error to the effect of "Can't find the
    XP setup files", with a dialog open to change the search area. Just take
    the XP install disk out at this time and insert the ME install disk. The XP
    install program will examine your ME disk to see if you are qualified to use
    the XP Upgrade CD, then ask you put the XP install CD back in.

    If you start the XP install with ME still on the HD, the XP install will
    never ask you to change the search area, so you won't have to insert a

    By the way, you can use the install disk of any version of Windows since
    Windows 95OSR2. However, most "Restore" disks provided by a major system
    builder will not qualify for proof of qualifying media for the purposes of
    using the XP Retail Upgrade CD.

    If your CD of ME is the so-called "Step Up" CD which Microsoft issued when
    ME first came out, all bets are off, in which case your best opportunity is
    to leave ME on the HD, then start the XP install by booting with the XP
    install disk. Don't forget to delete all partitions if you want to remove
    ME. Also don't forget to back up all data you don't want to lose, since
    deleting the partitions will destroy all programs and data.

    --

    Donald L McDaniel wrote:
    > Andrew Murray wrote:
    >
    >>you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP
    >>and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
    >>upgrade compliance.
    >>
    >>"Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
    >>>given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
    >>>keycode written on
    >>>it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
    >>>assumption
    >>>(abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
    >>>had a copy
    >>>of ME running.
    >>>
    >>>Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
    >>>of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
    >>>during installation.
    >>>
    >>>Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
    >>>Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
    >>>with a PID code, as
    >>>well.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
    >>>with a
    >>>$90 coaster!
    >>>
    >>>Tess
    >

    > Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.

    Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Gordon wrote:
    > Donald L McDaniel wrote:
    >> Andrew Murray wrote:
    >>
    >>> you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install
    >>> XP and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
    >>> upgrade compliance.
    >>>
    >>> "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    This is not necessary as long as there is a healthy installation of ME
    already on the HD.

    >> Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.
    >
    > Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.

    I heard that from everyone in these newsgroups. However, I recently
    purchased a Retail Upgrade of XP Pro. Till now, I had always used so-called
    "FULL OEM" copies, and had never been prompted to insert a disk from a
    previous version of Windows. Which is why I was truly surprised when I
    installed Pro "clean" using the Retail Upgrade disk, and was never asked for
    proof of a previous version of Windows. I am fully convinced that this was
    because I left my old install of XP on the HD before I started the install
    using the Retail Upgrade CD.

    I have repeated this TWICE so far, and was not asked to insert a previous
    disk of Windows either time. I could understand if maybe for some reason,
    by some weird fluke, the Retail Upgrade never asked me to insert a disk from
    a previous version of Windows ONCE. But TWICE in a row goes beyond chance,
    and makes me believe that this is the way Microsoft designed the Retail
    Upgrade to work. It is also possible that if the installation of Windows on
    the HD is XP instead of ME or 9x it is not necessary to insert their disks
    during XP setup, but is necessary if the installation of Windows on the HD
    is ME or 9x. Since I've never used a Retail Upgrade of XP before now, I
    just wouldn't know.

    HOWEVER, do not expect this behavior if you partition and format your HD
    without using the tools provided in the XP Retail Upgrade CD setup program
    and instead use a third party application, such as Partition Magic, or
    "fdisk/format" from a Windows 98/ME Startup floppy, to partition and format
    the HD before installing XP).
    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,
    so that the thread may be kept intact.
    ==============================
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Donald L McDaniel wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>Donald L McDaniel wrote:

    > This is not necessary as long as there is a healthy installation of ME
    > already on the HD.

    >>>Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.
    >>
    >>Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.
    >

    > I heard that from everyone in these newsgroups. However, I recently
    > purchased a Retail Upgrade of XP Pro. Till now, I had always used so-called
    > "FULL OEM" copies, and had never been prompted to insert a disk from a
    > previous version of Windows. Which is why I was truly surprised when I
    > installed Pro "clean" using the Retail Upgrade disk, and was never asked for
    > proof of a previous version of Windows. I am fully convinced that this was
    > because I left my old install of XP on the HD before I started the install
    > using the Retail Upgrade CD.

    Correct.

    > I have repeated this TWICE so far, and was not asked to insert a previous
    > disk of Windows either time. I could understand if maybe for some reason,
    > by some weird fluke, the Retail Upgrade never asked me to insert a disk from
    > a previous version of Windows ONCE. But TWICE in a row goes beyond chance,
    > and makes me believe that this is the way Microsoft designed the Retail
    > Upgrade to work. It is also possible that if the installation of Windows on
    > the HD is XP instead of ME or 9x it is not necessary to insert their disks
    > during XP setup, but is necessary if the installation of Windows on the HD
    > is ME or 9x. Since I've never used a Retail Upgrade of XP before now, I
    > just wouldn't know.

    if you already have a version of Windows installed on your HDD that is
    in the Upgrade path, then you won't be asked for the CD.
    if however you format the HDD *before* starting the upgrade procedure
    (by using FDisk for example) then you *will* be asked for the CD.

    > HOWEVER, do not expect this behavior if you partition and format your HD
    > without using the tools provided in the XP Retail Upgrade CD setup program
    > and instead use a third party application, such as Partition Magic, or
    > "fdisk/format" from a Windows 98/ME Startup floppy, to partition and format
    > the HD before installing XP).

    Quite correct.

Microsoft Windows XP