Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Upgrade version ok to use?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written on
it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken assumption
(abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a copy
of ME running.

Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
installation.

Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the Registered
User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me, with a PID code, as
well.

Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left with a
$90 coaster!

Tess

More about : upgrade version

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:16:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
> given
> the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
> keycode
> written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
> under the
> mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
> would
> install as long as I had a copy of ME running.


No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
Upgrade copy of Windows XP.



> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
> a bit
> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
> disk
> during installation.


No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
> me,
> with a PID code, as well.
>
> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
> left
> with a $90 coaster!
>
> Tess
April 2, 2005 12:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Tess in TN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
> machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written on
> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken assumption
> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a copy
> of ME running.
>
> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
> factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
> installation.

No you don't. You can do an in-place upgrade as you have ME already on
your machine.



--
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
news:o hLY7evNFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
> Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
> > given
> > the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
> > keycode
> > written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
> > under the
> > mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
> > would
> > install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
>
>
> No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
> You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
> Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
>
>
>
> > Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
> > a bit
> > of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
> > disk
> > during installation.
>
>
> No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
> XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
> of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
> version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
> > Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
> > Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
> > me,
> > with a PID code, as well.
> >
> > Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
> > left
> > with a $90 coaster!
> >
> > Tess
>
>

I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd set. Can I
do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it asks for the
previous version?
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Brian Gotjunk wrote:
> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> news:o hLY7evNFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
>> Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>>> given
>>> the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>>> keycode
>>> written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
>>> under the
>>> mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
>>> would
>>> install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
>>
>>
>> No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
>> You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
>> Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
>>
>>
>>
>>> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
>>> a bit
>>> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
>>> disk
>>> during installation.
>>
>>
>> No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
>> XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
>> of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
>> version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>>
>>> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>>> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
>>> me,
>>> with a PID code, as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
>>> left
>>> with a $90 coaster!
>>>
>>> Tess
>>
>>
>
> I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
> machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd
> set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it
> asks for the previous version?
>
>
>
>
You may not need the ME Recovery Disk to prove you have a legitimate license
to a previous Windows product in order to use the Windows XP Retail Upgrade
CD.

Here is my experience of using the XP Retail Upgrade CD to do a clean
install of XP.

1) I had an existing installation of Windows on my HD.
2) My HD was partitioned as one partition filling all available free space.
3) My HD was formatted as NTFS.
4) I started the new XP Install by booting with the XP Retail Upgrade CD.
5) Once the machine booted, and I started the XP installation, I deleted all
partitions on the HD, then I formatted the new partition as NTFS
6) During Setup, I was NEVER, at ANY TIME, asked for proof of qualifying
media. This means that I did not have to insert a CD to prove I had
qualifying media. My only conclusion is that the existing installation of
Windows on my HD previous to starting Setup was accepted as qualifying
media.

Conclusion?
You do not need qualifying media to use the Windows XP Retail Upgrade CD to
perform a clean install IF, and I repeat, IF you have an existing
installation of Windows 9x/ME/NT 4.1/2k/Windows XP on the HD on which you
plan to do the clean install.

So, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT use fdisk/format (or a third party tool
like Partition Magic) from a Windows 9x boot disk to partition and format
your HD prior to starting Setup from the XP Retail Upgrade CD. If you do
so, you will HAVE to insert a CD from a previous version of 95/9x/ME/NT
4.x/2k/XP to prove you have qualifying media.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:

> I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of
> XP on a
> machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore
> cd
> set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
> when it
> asks for the previous version?


No, not directly.

However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM
restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore
CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored system,
and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press
Esc to delete the partition and start over.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:27:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
news:usYbcyhOFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:
>
> > I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of
> > XP on a
> > machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore
> > cd
> > set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
> > when it
> > asks for the previous version?
>
>
> No, not directly.
>
> However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM
> restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
> complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore
> CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored system,
> and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press
> Esc to delete the partition and start over.
>
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>

Thank you for the information
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:27:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:eHjqFZiOFHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
If_Its_Junk <If_Its_Junk at hotmail dot com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> news:usYbcyhOFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> In news:uy2MD5fOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Brian Gotjunk <briangotjunk@GARBAGEyahoo.com> typed:
>>
>>> I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install
>>> of
>>> XP on a
>>> machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME
>>> Restore
>>> cd
>>> set. Can I do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's
>>> when it
>>> asks for the previous version?
>>
>>
>> No, not directly.
>>
>> However, you can also do a clean installation if you have an
>> OEM
>> restore CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more
>> complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the
>> Restore
>> CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored
>> system,
>> and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where,
>> press
>> Esc to delete the partition and start over.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>>
>
> Thank you for the information


You're welcome. Glad to help.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
April 5, 2005 10:02:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Brian Gotjunk wrote:
> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> news:o hLY7evNFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>>In news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com,
>>Tess in TN <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>
>>>I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>>>given
>>>the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>>>keycode
>>>written on it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP,
>>>under the
>>>mistaken assumption (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it
>>>would
>>>install as long as I had a copy of ME running.
>>
>>
>>No, the assumption wasn't mistaken, nor was the guy at Staples.
>>You *can* do an over-the-top upgrade of Me with your retail
>>Upgrade copy of Windows XP.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing
>>>a bit
>>>of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME
>>>disk
>>>during installation.
>>
>>
>>No, that's needed only if you want to do a clean installation of
>>XP with your Upgrade version, rather than upgrading over the top
>>of Me. It's to prove that you own a copy of a previous qualifying
>>version, so you qualify to use the Upgrade CD.
>>
>>--
>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>>
>>
>>>Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>>>Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to
>>>me,
>>>with a PID code, as well.
>>>
>>>Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
>>>left
>>>with a $90 coaster!
>>>
>>>Tess
>>
>>
>
> I am in the same situation but I want to do a Clean Install of XP on a
> machine that has ME. It is a Gateway and I have the ME Restore cd set. Can I
> do the Clean Install and insert one of these cd's when it asks for the
> previous version?
>
>

If I remember correctly, it asks for the previous version *before* you
do the partitioning......

--
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 9:37:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
> machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written
> on
> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
> assumption
> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a
> copy
> of ME running.
>
> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
> factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
> installation.
>
> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the Registered
> User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me, with a PID code,
> as
> well.
>
> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left with
> a
> $90 coaster!
>
> Tess

You don't need ME on the machine to install XP. You will need the ME CD as
the XP installation process will ask for it to check you have a licenced
version (previous version) of Windows to allow the Upgrade install.

So keep the ME disk handy - you won't need the cd-key of the ME disk all the
system does is check you have a previous version.

Then it will proceed and you'll only need the XP disk and cd-key for XP.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 9:37:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Andrew Murray wrote:
> "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>> given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>> keycode written on
>> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
>> assumption
>> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
>> had a copy
>> of ME running.
>>
>> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
>> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
>> during installation.
>>
>> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
>> with a PID code, as
>> well.
>>
>> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
>> with a
>> $90 coaster!
>>
>> Tess
>
> You don't need ME on the machine to install XP. You will need the
> ME CD as the XP installation process will ask for it to check you
> have a licenced version (previous version) of Windows to allow the
> Upgrade install.
> So keep the ME disk handy - you won't need the cd-key of the ME disk
> all the system does is check you have a previous version.
>
> Then it will proceed and you'll only need the XP disk and cd-key for
> XP.
>
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0514-3, 04 10 2005
> Tested on: 4/10/2005 9:18:15 AM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com

Contrary to any information you might have gotten, the XP Retail Upgrade CD
WILL work if you already have a copy of ME on your HD. In fact, this is the
way Microsoft engineers designed the XP Retail Upgrade. It was designed
from the ground up to "upgrade" existing installations of Windows.

The XP Retail Upgrade CD will also do a "clean" install of XP if you have an
existing installation of Windows on your HD, and will NOT ask for qualifying
media IF, and IF you boot the machine using the XP install CD AND there is
an existing qualifying installation of a previous version of Windows
(including ME) on the HD. Just delete all partitions and recreate them
AFTER having started the XP Retail Upgrade installation. In other words, do
NOT use fdisk/format to prepare your HDs to receive XP. If you DO partition
and format your HD from within DOS, the XP Retail Upgrade install program
WILL ask for proof of qualifying media.

If you DON'T have an existing installation of a previous version of Windows
on your HD, the XP Retail Upgrade WILL ask for proof of qualifying media
before it will complete the install.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:46:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP and
then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the upgrade
compliance.

"Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was given the
> machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the keycode written
> on
> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
> assumption
> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I had a
> copy
> of ME running.
>
> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit of
> factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk during
> installation.
>
> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the Registered
> User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me, with a PID code,
> as
> well.
>
> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left with
> a
> $90 coaster!
>
> Tess
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:36:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Andrew Murray wrote:
> you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP
> and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
> upgrade compliance.
>
> "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>> given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>> keycode written on
>> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
>> assumption
>> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
>> had a copy
>> of ME running.
>>
>> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
>> of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
>> during installation.
>>
>> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
>> with a PID code, as
>> well.
>>
>> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
>> with a
>> $90 coaster!
>>
>> Tess

Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk. All that will happen will
be that the XP installer will have an error to the effect of "Can't find the
XP setup files", with a dialog open to change the search area. Just take
the XP install disk out at this time and insert the ME install disk. The XP
install program will examine your ME disk to see if you are qualified to use
the XP Upgrade CD, then ask you put the XP install CD back in.

If you start the XP install with ME still on the HD, the XP install will
never ask you to change the search area, so you won't have to insert a
previous install CD of a version of Windows.

By the way, you can use the install disk of any version of Windows since
Windows 95OSR2. However, most "Restore" disks provided by a major system
builder will not qualify for proof of qualifying media for the purposes of
using the XP Retail Upgrade CD.

If your CD of ME is the so-called "Step Up" CD which Microsoft issued when
ME first came out, all bets are off, in which case your best opportunity is
to leave ME on the HD, then start the XP install by booting with the XP
install disk. Don't forget to delete all partitions if you want to remove
ME. Also don't forget to back up all data you don't want to lose, since
deleting the partitions will destroy all programs and data.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
April 26, 2005 10:11:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> Andrew Murray wrote:
>
>>you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install XP
>>and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
>>upgrade compliance.
>>
>>"Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>>>given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>>>keycode written on
>>>it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
>>>assumption
>>>(abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
>>>had a copy
>>>of ME running.
>>>
>>>Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a bit
>>>of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the ME disk
>>>during installation.
>>>
>>>Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>>>Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
>>>with a PID code, as
>>>well.
>>>
>>>Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be left
>>>with a
>>>$90 coaster!
>>>
>>>Tess
>
>
> Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.

Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:27:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Gordon wrote:
> Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>> Andrew Murray wrote:
>>
>>> you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install
>>> XP and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
>>> upgrade compliance.
>>>
>>> "Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>>>> given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>>>> keycode written on
>>>> it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
>>>> assumption
>>>> (abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
>>>> had a copy
>>>> of ME running.
>>>>
>>>> Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a
>>>> bit of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the
>>>> ME disk during installation.

This is not necessary as long as there is a healthy installation of ME
already on the HD.

>>>>
>>>> Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>>>> Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
>>>> with a PID code, as
>>>> well.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
>>>> left with a
>>>> $90 coaster!
>>>>
>>>> Tess
>>
>>
>> Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.
>
> Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.

I heard that from everyone in these newsgroups. However, I recently
purchased a Retail Upgrade of XP Pro. Till now, I had always used so-called
"FULL OEM" copies, and had never been prompted to insert a disk from a
previous version of Windows. Which is why I was truly surprised when I
installed Pro "clean" using the Retail Upgrade disk, and was never asked for
proof of a previous version of Windows. I am fully convinced that this was
because I left my old install of XP on the HD before I started the install
using the Retail Upgrade CD.

I have repeated this TWICE so far, and was not asked to insert a previous
disk of Windows either time. I could understand if maybe for some reason,
by some weird fluke, the Retail Upgrade never asked me to insert a disk from
a previous version of Windows ONCE. But TWICE in a row goes beyond chance,
and makes me believe that this is the way Microsoft designed the Retail
Upgrade to work. It is also possible that if the installation of Windows on
the HD is XP instead of ME or 9x it is not necessary to insert their disks
during XP setup, but is necessary if the installation of Windows on the HD
is ME or 9x. Since I've never used a Retail Upgrade of XP before now, I
just wouldn't know.

HOWEVER, do not expect this behavior if you partition and format your HD
without using the tools provided in the XP Retail Upgrade CD setup program
and instead use a third party application, such as Partition Magic, or
"fdisk/format" from a Windows 98/ME Startup floppy, to partition and format
the HD before installing XP).
--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
April 28, 2005 1:19:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>>Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>>
>>>Andrew Murray wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>you don't need ME running. You can wipe (format) the disk install
>>>>XP and then when prompted insert the ME disk so it can check for the
>>>>upgrade compliance.
>>>>
>>>>"Tess in TN" <Tess in TN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>>news:ED96B1E2-A716-432B-98C9-5692BA7EE952@microsoft.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>I have a second-hand system that's running ME. Now, when I was
>>>>>given the machine, I also received a copy of the ME disc, with the
>>>>>keycode written on
>>>>>it. I just bought a retail upgrade copy of XP, under the mistaken
>>>>>assumption
>>>>>(abetted by the guy at Staples) that it would install as long as I
>>>>>had a copy
>>>>>of ME running.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thank goodness I didn't open the package yet, because in doing a
>>>>>bit of factchecking afterwards, I see that I have to feed it the
>>>>>ME disk during installation.
>
>
> This is not necessary as long as there is a healthy installation of ME
> already on the HD.
>
>
>>>>>Will my copy work, since I have the key code? When I check the
>>>>>Registered User PID on this machine, it shows it registered to me,
>>>>>with a PID code, as
>>>>>well.
>>>>>
>>>>>Thanks so much for your help-- I'd hate to open that box and be
>>>>>left with a
>>>>>$90 coaster!
>>>>>
>>>>>Tess
>>>
>>>
>>>Actually, you won't be prompted to insert a disk.
>>
>>Well I've always been prompted to insert a disk.
>
>
> I heard that from everyone in these newsgroups. However, I recently
> purchased a Retail Upgrade of XP Pro. Till now, I had always used so-called
> "FULL OEM" copies, and had never been prompted to insert a disk from a
> previous version of Windows. Which is why I was truly surprised when I
> installed Pro "clean" using the Retail Upgrade disk, and was never asked for
> proof of a previous version of Windows. I am fully convinced that this was
> because I left my old install of XP on the HD before I started the install
> using the Retail Upgrade CD.

Correct.

>
> I have repeated this TWICE so far, and was not asked to insert a previous
> disk of Windows either time. I could understand if maybe for some reason,
> by some weird fluke, the Retail Upgrade never asked me to insert a disk from
> a previous version of Windows ONCE. But TWICE in a row goes beyond chance,
> and makes me believe that this is the way Microsoft designed the Retail
> Upgrade to work. It is also possible that if the installation of Windows on
> the HD is XP instead of ME or 9x it is not necessary to insert their disks
> during XP setup, but is necessary if the installation of Windows on the HD
> is ME or 9x. Since I've never used a Retail Upgrade of XP before now, I
> just wouldn't know.

if you already have a version of Windows installed on your HDD that is
in the Upgrade path, then you won't be asked for the CD.
if however you format the HDD *before* starting the upgrade procedure
(by using FDisk for example) then you *will* be asked for the CD.

>
> HOWEVER, do not expect this behavior if you partition and format your HD
> without using the tools provided in the XP Retail Upgrade CD setup program
> and instead use a third party application, such as Partition Magic, or
> "fdisk/format" from a Windows 98/ME Startup floppy, to partition and format
> the HD before installing XP).

Quite correct.
!