Tankazon, revisited

Last response: in Video Games
June 7, 2005 12:03:29 AM

So, one of the builds I've been planning to do again is the tankazon, except
this time, I'm planning to make her as a zealot, using the "Passion" rune
word. I've done two non-paladin zealots before, although they were both
barbarians, and now it's time for a change. It was a tossup there for a
while between amazon and a shadow tree only assassin, but now I'm decided.

Anyway, while Dalai was pottering around playing his new sorceress today, I
was having a bit of a crafting session, and I rolled these:

Pain Finger
Sharkskin Gloves
Level 59
+2 passive skills
3% life steal
10% crushing blow
+7 strength
+19 life
Cold resistance +20%
Fire resistance +12%

A reasonable result. :-) So I think she'll be using those, with a "Passion"
rune word phase blade. It looks like I need 40% more IAS to hit the maximum
zeal speed, and there's where I'm still considering my options. I can get
10% from Nosferatu's Coil, plus some other nice mods, so that's looking like a
good option. Dalai gave me a blue circlet with +3 passive skills, and if
Larzuk gives me two sockets in that, I can put two fervor jewels in that, and
be set. However... I'd really like to get plenty of crushing blow on board
for the build, so I may want to go for a Guillaeme's Face/Duress hat/armour
combo. In that case, I'd have to fervour my shield as well. Or I could go
with a highlord's amulet. 10% belt + 15% fervored hat + 20% amulet still
leaves me 5% short though, in that case.

Shield is looking like being either Stormshield, Sanctuary, or Mosers. Still
a bit of juggling of gear to go there, to get me the PDR, resistances and IAS
that I'm after.

"Passion" has the monster flee attribute (the one thing that I didn't like so
much from the previous two builds), but I may be able to turn this into a
positive by stacking her inventory with high grade poison charms - whack 'em,
infect 'em, send 'em away to die.

Skill allocations I'm still pondering, although a strong Valkyrie is pretty
much a given, since there's going to be so many skill points to play with.
I'll have to run the numbers with projected charms to see what kind of attack
rating I'm going to end up with base, and I may have to enhance that with a
high investment in Penetrate to reach 5K attack rating. Ideally I don't want
TOO many attack rating charms in my stash, as I'd like to fill it up with as
many of the previously mentioned poison damage charms as possible.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

More about : tankazon revisited

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:03:30 AM

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> So, one of the builds I've been planning to do again is the tankazon, except
> this time, I'm planning to make her as a zealot, using the "Passion" rune
> word. I've done two non-paladin zealots before, although they were both
> barbarians, and now it's time for a change. It was a tossup there for a
> while between amazon and a shadow tree only assassin, but now I'm decided.
>
> Anyway, while Dalai was pottering around playing his new sorceress today, I
> was having a bit of a crafting session, and I rolled these:
>
> Pain Finger
> Sharkskin Gloves
> Level 59
> +2 passive skills
> 3% life steal
> 10% crushing blow
> +7 strength
> +19 life
> Cold resistance +20%
> Fire resistance +12%
>
> A reasonable result. :-) So I think she'll be using those, with a "Passion"
> rune word phase blade. It looks like I need 40% more IAS to hit the maximum
> zeal speed, and there's where I'm still considering my options. I can get
> 10% from Nosferatu's Coil, plus some other nice mods, so that's looking like a
> good option. Dalai gave me a blue circlet with +3 passive skills, and if
> Larzuk gives me two sockets in that, I can put two fervor jewels in that, and
> be set. However... I'd really like to get plenty of crushing blow on board
> for the build, so I may want to go for a Guillaeme's Face/Duress hat/armour
> combo. In that case, I'd have to fervour my shield as well. Or I could go
> with a highlord's amulet. 10% belt + 15% fervored hat + 20% amulet still
> leaves me 5% short though, in that case.

You've been spending too much time with the Aussies, and it has eroded
your math skills, as no matter how many times I add it up, 10 + 15 + 20
= 45, not 35.

Mickey
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:27:32 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> A reasonable result. :-) So I think she'll be using those, with a
>> "Passion" rune word phase blade. It looks like I need 40% more IAS
>> to hit the maximum zeal speed, and there's where I'm still
>> considering my options. I can get 10% from Nosferatu's Coil, plus
>> some other nice mods, so that's looking like a good option. Dalai
>> gave me a blue circlet with +3 passive skills, and if Larzuk gives me
>> two sockets in that, I can put two fervor jewels in that, and be set.
>> However... I'd really like to get plenty of crushing blow on board
>> for the build, so I may want to go for a Guillaeme's Face/Duress
>> hat/armour combo. In that case, I'd have to fervour my shield as
>> well. Or I could go with a highlord's amulet. 10% belt + 15%
>> fervored hat + 20% amulet still leaves me 5% short though, in that
>> case.
>
>10 + 15 + 20 = 45
>
>Didn't you ay you needed 40 more?

I did on purpose to see if anyone was actually reading any of the posts!

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
June 7, 2005 12:52:06 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, supreme
ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>You've been spending too much time with the Aussies, and it has eroded
>your math skills, as no matter how many times I add it up, 10 + 15 + 20
>= 45, not 35.

Let me go get my morning caffeine, and then I'll get back to you.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous

I think it was Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> that wrote
something like...

>So, one of the builds I've been planning to do again is the tankazon, except
>this time, I'm planning to make her as a zealot, using the "Passion" rune
>word. I've done two non-paladin zealots before, although they were both
>barbarians, and now it's time for a change. It was a tossup there for a
>while between amazon and a shadow tree only assassin, but now I'm decided.

I made a passion spear wielding amazon. Didn't stall until act 1 NM
as I recall, and even then she made a come back when I wanted someone
around that level to quest with someone else, and has since made it
into Hell diff. Makes for a fun solo game but is of less use in a
full player game I'd guess. I maxed Valk and decoy and have been
working on maximising inner sight. Maxed out with some plus skills it
should technically reduce any monster up to Hell baal minions AC to
roughly 0.

Haven't been playing D2 much for a while, but if it wasn't so late
already, I'd take her out for another spin! Maybe tomorrow. : )
A sword and shield build should be more powerful than my girl. You
should have plenty of fun.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:15:48 AM

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> Long ago, in the world without shrimp, deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen
> Shugar), supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:
>
> >I made a passion spear wielding amazon.
>
> I remember.
>
> >Haven't been playing D2 much for a while, but if it wasn't so late
> >already, I'd take her out for another spin! Maybe tomorrow. : )
> >A sword and shield build should be more powerful than my girl. You
> >should have plenty of fun.
>
> Okay, here's one setup of end-game gear I'm currently considering:
>
> Weapon - "Passion" phase blade
> Hat - Guillaeme's Face, Kira's, or a rare/magic circlet with +passives and/or
> resistances
> Armour - Shaftstop
> Gloves - Crafted blood gloves (see above), Laying of Hands, or Dracs
> Belt - String of Ears
> Boots - Gore Rider
> Shield - Upgraded Mosers, or Sanctuary
> Ring 1 - Undecided, maybe Nature's Peace
> Ring 2 - Ravenfrost
> Amulet - Highlords
>
> Hat and armour to be socketed with IAS or resist all, depending on what gloves
> I use.

While I could easily be missing something, but you don't seem to have
any +skills, and so your zeal will only be hitting like once. Twice I
guess if you throw in an Annihilus charm. Dunno if you'll find this a
problem or not though.

--
Ashen Shugar
>From work
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:41:43 AM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen
Shugar), supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>I made a passion spear wielding amazon.

I remember.

>Haven't been playing D2 much for a while, but if it wasn't so late
>already, I'd take her out for another spin! Maybe tomorrow. : )
>A sword and shield build should be more powerful than my girl. You
>should have plenty of fun.

Okay, here's one setup of end-game gear I'm currently considering:

Weapon - "Passion" phase blade
Hat - Guillaeme's Face, Kira's, or a rare/magic circlet with +passives and/or
resistances
Armour - Shaftstop
Gloves - Crafted blood gloves (see above), Laying of Hands, or Dracs
Belt - String of Ears
Boots - Gore Rider
Shield - Upgraded Mosers, or Sanctuary
Ring 1 - Undecided, maybe Nature's Peace
Ring 2 - Ravenfrost
Amulet - Highlords

Hat and armour to be socketed with IAS or resist all, depending on what gloves
I use.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:37:49 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Ashen Shugar"
<deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and
said:

>Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> Long ago, in the world without shrimp, deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen
>> Shugar), supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:
>>
>> >I made a passion spear wielding amazon.
>>
>> I remember.
>>
>> >Haven't been playing D2 much for a while, but if it wasn't so late
>> >already, I'd take her out for another spin! Maybe tomorrow. : )
>> >A sword and shield build should be more powerful than my girl. You
>> >should have plenty of fun.
>>
>> Okay, here's one setup of end-game gear I'm currently considering:
>>
>> Weapon - "Passion" phase blade
>> Hat - Guillaeme's Face, Kira's, or a rare/magic circlet with +passives and/or
>> resistances
>> Armour - Shaftstop
>> Gloves - Crafted blood gloves (see above), Laying of Hands, or Dracs
>> Belt - String of Ears
>> Boots - Gore Rider
>> Shield - Upgraded Mosers, or Sanctuary
>> Ring 1 - Undecided, maybe Nature's Peace
>> Ring 2 - Ravenfrost
>> Amulet - Highlords
>>
>> Hat and armour to be socketed with IAS or resist all, depending on what gloves
>> I use.
>
>While I could easily be missing something, but you don't seem to have
>any +skills, and so your zeal will only be hitting like once. Twice I
>guess if you throw in an Annihilus charm. Dunno if you'll find this a
>problem or not though.

Mmmm, last barb ended up using a sigons shield all the way through the game.
BK wedding band, and I may have to borrow an annihilus from another character
(+1 skills on Highlords).

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Mmmm, last barb ended up using a sigons shield all the way through the game.
>BK wedding band, and I may have to borrow an annihilus from another character
>(+1 skills on Highlords).

Okay, forget that. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, and finally make a
Delerium hat, and switch the crafted blood gloves listed earlier for some with
20% IAS on them (and socket the shaftstop with a resist all jewel).

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>,
> supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:
>
> >So, one of the builds I've been planning to do again is the tankazon, except
> >this time, I'm planning to make her as a zealot, using the "Passion" rune
> >word. I've done two non-paladin zealots before, although they were both
> >barbarians, and now it's time for a change. It was a tossup there for a
> >while between amazon and a shadow tree only assassin, but now I'm decided.
>
> UPDATE TIME: I managed to shake a pair of Dracul's Grasp gloves out of
> Mephisto first thing this morning, so now Tankazita wants to wear those.
> That leaves me needing 40% off-weapon and off-glove IAS to hit my desired Zeal
> breakpoint, while having +3 to all skills and ideally, close to 50% physical
> damage reduction (PDR).
>
> Weapon - "Passion" phase blade
>
> Hat - Delirium (+2 skills)

How about Andy's helm? +2 skills and 20 IAS. Charms to take care of
those resists.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:39:38 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>So, one of the builds I've been planning to do again is the tankazon, except
>this time, I'm planning to make her as a zealot, using the "Passion" rune
>word. I've done two non-paladin zealots before, although they were both
>barbarians, and now it's time for a change. It was a tossup there for a
>while between amazon and a shadow tree only assassin, but now I'm decided.
>
>Anyway, while Dalai was pottering around playing his new sorceress today, I
>was having a bit of a crafting session, and I rolled these:
>
>Pain Finger
>Sharkskin Gloves
>Level 59
>+2 passive skills
>3% life steal
>10% crushing blow
>+7 strength
>+19 life
>Cold resistance +20%
>Fire resistance +12%

UPDATE TIME: I managed to shake a pair of Dracul's Grasp gloves out of
Mephisto first thing this morning, so now Tankazita wants to wear those.
That leaves me needing 40% off-weapon and off-glove IAS to hit my desired Zeal
breakpoint, while having +3 to all skills and ideally, close to 50% physical
damage reduction (PDR).

Weapon - "Passion" phase blade

Hat - Delirium (+2 skills)

Amulet - Highlords (+1 skills, 20% IAS)

Armour - Shaftstop (30% PDR, 60 life)

Belt options -
Nosferatu's Coil (10% IAS, 5-7% life steal, slows target),
String of Ears (up to 15% PDR, 6-8% life steal),
Verdungos (up to 15% PDR, up to 40 vitality)

Gloves - Dracs

Boots - Gore Riders

Rings - Ravenfrost and something else

Shield options -
Mosers with two shael runes (amazons have awful block rate with one handed
swinging weapons),
Mosers with two pdiamonds or um runes,
Sanctuary,
Stormshield

IAS option 1 -
Nosferatus Coil (10)
+ Shaftstop with a Fervour (15)
+ Highlords (20)
+ Shield varies

gets me to the required IAS breakpoint, and I get +3 skills as required.
PDR either 30% (shaftstop) or 50% (shaftstop + stormshield)

IAS option 2 -
String of Ears/Verdungos (0)
+ Shaftstop with Fervour (15)
+ Highlords (20)
+ Mosers with one Fevour/one shael (15) or Stormshield with one Fervour
(15)

gets me to the required IAS breakpoint, up to 45% PDR (or way above the 50%
cap if Stormshield is used), and I gain some magic damage reduction, and +3
all skill levels also

More to come...

--
Rakanishu!
Anonymous

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>> Hat - Delirium (+2 skills)

>How about Andy's helm? +2 skills and 20 IAS. Charms to take care of
>those resists.

Two reasons. Firstly, it's ugly as sin, but more importantly, it has a level
83 requirement. It would certainly simplify things late game, though.

--
Rakanishu!
!