What is bitfling in bitpim

Last response: in Network Providers
June 23, 2004 5:50:01 PM

I downloaded bitpim 7.12. What is bitfling?

More about : bitfling bitpim

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:30:44 PM

I asked a question earlier about using an aircard installed in other
machines on a network, added later, was that the older mobile office works
(allows others to use the share the device), but the updated current version
(for broadband and NA rather than just NationalAccess) no longer allows it.
I'm wondering if a bitpim/bitfling combo running on one machine would allow
other users on a network to use the connection from the machine that
actually has the hardware.
There's actually three questions in the above,
one) can bit pim be used with a dedicated machine on the network with an
aircard,
two) can it be used with a dedicated machine that has a cellphone/cable/etc,
three) can it be used with a wireless network

Anyone have any thoughts? (I'd just ask Roger, but he requested that he not
be bothered with q's, so I'm trying to respect that and ask others :)

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> C C wrote:
> > I downloaded bitpim 7.12. What is bitfling?
>
> If you looked in the online help, you would have found this:
>
> http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/bitfling.htm
>
> Roger

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 9:08:00 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> I'm wondering if a bitpim/bitfling combo running on one machine would allow
> other users on a network to use the connection from the machine that
> actually has the hardware.

Nope. It basically remotes the serial port the phone provides. The
aircards do emulate a serial port and expose their embedded file system
(all 800kb of it). But that is of no use to you at the networking
level.

You need to get the networking level sorted out with the card.
One of the aircard models (I work with too many ...) creates a
network interface that exposes the phone/card directly and then
a second network interface that auto-routes between your LAN and
the aircard.

IMHO your best bet is getting a Linux box and putting the card
in that, and then using the NAT stuff built in to Linux. You
can use a desktop machine with a PCI to PCMCIA adaptor. The
Sierra Windows drivers and software are over-engineered too
userfriendly and get in the way if you actually know how you
want to structure your network.

Note that sharing the aircard in the way you want is probably
against Verizon's terms of service.

Roger
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 2:28:47 AM

> Peter Pan wrote:
> > I'm wondering if a bitpim/bitfling combo running on one machine would
allow
> > other users on a network to use the connection from the machine that
> > actually has the hardware.
>
> Nope. It basically remotes the serial port the phone provides. The
> aircards do emulate a serial port and expose their embedded file system
> (all 800kb of it). But that is of no use to you at the networking
> level.
>
> You need to get the networking level sorted out with the card.
> One of the aircard models (I work with too many ...) creates a
> network interface that exposes the phone/card directly and then
> a second network interface that auto-routes between your LAN and
> the aircard.
>
> IMHO your best bet is getting a Linux box and putting the card
> in that, and then using the NAT stuff built in to Linux. You
> can use a desktop machine with a PCI to PCMCIA adaptor. The
> Sierra Windows drivers and software are over-engineered too
> userfriendly and get in the way if you actually know how you
> want to structure your network.
>
> Note that sharing the aircard in the way you want is probably
> against Verizon's terms of service.
>
> Roger

Thanks for the answer roger, sorry to bug you about this stuff.

Yeah, I know it's against the NEW terms of service, but it wasn't against
the OLD ones (new ones came out a few months ago). Consider the confusion
here, some (not all) cable modems or DSL modems can be shared resources on
wireless networks (actually all allow it, but some providers want you to pay
extra for a business account), and a cellphone with mobile office USED to be
able to be shared on a network, but now verizon has modified their software
so you can no longer do it.
They used to allow the old aircard (NA only) and the older phone/MO to be
shared, but now that they are going to broadband access, they specifically
put blocks in the software, so it can't be done anymore and people can't
share the faster Broadband connection, it just so happens to also block
sharing the slower NA connection.
I think what you are saying is that like a sat usually requires a separate
node on the network to handle the broadband stuff (although it can run under
windows instead of linux), have a separate linux node on the network and use
it with the aircard. Hmmm, gives me an idea, get an older used computer with
pcmcia slots, reformat it with Linux, add an aircard and a wireless card,
and just make it a stand-alone resource on a WAN that happens to provide
internet resources (like a node with Direcway can be). Should be able to
throw it together for well under $1000.

Marc
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 3:07:11 AM

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> C C wrote:
> > I downloaded bitpim 7.12. What is bitfling?
>
> If you looked in the online help, you would have found this:
>
> http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/bitfling.htm
>
> Roger

Thanks. Got it.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 3:19:48 AM

Peter Pan wrote:
> Yeah, I know it's against the NEW terms of service, but it wasn't against
> the OLD ones (new ones came out a few months ago).

I do believe that updates in terms of service apply to everyone, not when
you signed your contract.

> extra for a business account), and a cellphone with mobile office USED to be
> able to be shared on a network, but now verizon has modified their software
> so you can no longer do it.

You are talking about the technical side, I am talking about your contract
and the legal side.

> I think what you are saying is that like a sat usually requires a separate
> node on the network to handle the broadband stuff (although it can run under
> windows instead of linux), have a separate linux node on the network and use
> it with the aircard.

Windows, Linux and Mac can all share one network interface onto other ones
(Internet Connection Sharing, NAT etc). However when using Windows you
are stuck with Sierra's drivers which are intended to be foolproof,
but just get in the way if you know what you are doing. They have no
drivers for Linux, but you can just use the card as a standard modem
supporting PPP and use NAT for your other network interfaces.

> Hmmm, gives me an idea,

Err, that is what I should you should do! In any case having a
seperate machine do all this as well as act as an access point
and firewall is a good thing. You can change it from cellular
to DSL, cable or even good old fashioned dial up without having
to touch your other client machines, and you also have a single
point of security administration.

Roger
!