Setting up Outlook Express or something else.

What an adventure this computing is. This is like being a young parent trying
to teach the first child manners and to behave while making mistakes &
learnng as you go. I clicked a hyper link in a reply to my post "Asking a new
question" posted on 3/27/05. The link is titled "Windows XP Newsgroups". Now
there are three new folders in the Outlook Express folder menu. (1)
msnews.microsolft.com w/ a subfolder (2) microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
(3) news.quixnet.net. #3 is for my ISP. All because I want to make a new
post on this forum w/o having to hold control down when clicking "new
question" and allowing a pop up cookie being installed. How can I clean up
this mess I caused? I still have to hold control to make a new question. Can
anyone help me? Thank you. XYZ
7 answers Last reply
More about setting outlook express else

    Hi,
    You really should learn to read newsgroups through Outlook Express. It's
    much more efficient and enjoyable than the web interface.

    See these links for help. That link you clicked on got you started. It will
    be well worth the investment of time.
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.mspx

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "XYZ" <XYZ[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What an adventure this computing is. This is like being a young parent
    trying
    > to teach the first child manners and to behave while making mistakes &
    > learnng as you go. I clicked a hyper link in a reply to my post "Asking a
    new
    > question" posted on 3/27/05. The link is titled "Windows XP Newsgroups".
    Now
    > there are three new folders in the Outlook Express folder menu. (1)
    > msnews.microsolft.com w/ a subfolder (2)
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > (3) news.quixnet.net. #3 is for my ISP. All because I want to make a new
    > post on this forum w/o having to hold control down when clicking "new
    > question" and allowing a pop up cookie being installed. How can I clean up
    > this mess I caused? I still have to hold control to make a new question.
    Can
    > anyone help me? Thank you. XYZ

    You may want to look at this website which explains how to use the newsgroup
    feature..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/oe/default.mspx

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "XYZ" <XYZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What an adventure this computing is. This is like being a young parent
    > trying
    > to teach the first child manners and to behave while making mistakes &
    > learnng as you go. I clicked a hyper link in a reply to my post "Asking a
    > new
    > question" posted on 3/27/05. The link is titled "Windows XP Newsgroups".
    > Now
    > there are three new folders in the Outlook Express folder menu. (1)
    > msnews.microsolft.com w/ a subfolder (2)
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > (3) news.quixnet.net. #3 is for my ISP. All because I want to make a new
    > post on this forum w/o having to hold control down when clicking "new
    > question" and allowing a pop up cookie being installed. How can I clean up
    > this mess I caused? I still have to hold control to make a new question.
    > Can
    > anyone help me? Thank you. XYZ

    Thank you for the additional info, I appreciate it and shall follow your
    advice. Thank you once again.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > You may want to look at this website which explains how to use the newsgroup
    > feature..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/oe/default.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "XYZ" <XYZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What an adventure this computing is. This is like being a young parent
    > > trying
    > > to teach the first child manners and to behave while making mistakes &
    > > learnng as you go. I clicked a hyper link in a reply to my post "Asking a
    > > new
    > > question" posted on 3/27/05. The link is titled "Windows XP Newsgroups".
    > > Now
    > > there are three new folders in the Outlook Express folder menu. (1)
    > > msnews.microsolft.com w/ a subfolder (2)
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > > (3) news.quixnet.net. #3 is for my ISP. All because I want to make a new
    > > post on this forum w/o having to hold control down when clicking "new
    > > question" and allowing a pop up cookie being installed. How can I clean up
    > > this mess I caused? I still have to hold control to make a new question.
    > > Can
    > > anyone help me? Thank you. XYZ

    Thanks all for your help. This is a much easier way to use this forum. The
    challenge with the pop up was being caused by the pop up blocker was
    activated in the Google toolbar so I turned it off as my firewall handles
    that also. Thannk all of you once again. XYZ

    XYZ wrote:
    > Thank you for your responce. I will definatly investigate your links and go
    > with Outlook Express, however do I need to delete the new folders in my inbox
    > folder list, leave them as is, or what?

    What you've done, is set up your Outlook Express to read Newsgroups!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Way to go, XYZ

    You posted back with your fix such that others can learn and or take note,,
    if only all people would do that..

    --

    > Thank you for your responce. I will definatly investigate your links and
    > go
    > with Outlook Express, however do I need to delete the new folders in my
    > inbox
    > folder list, leave them as is, or what?

    As you wish; The web browser is completely separate from Outlook Express and
    the two don't affect each other that way. In case it's new to you, it might
    take several minutes to download all the messages for most groups you
    subscribe to, but you only have to do that one time. Spamcop newsgroup is
    much faster though, since there are few threads & groups. Unless you're on
    digital lines; those go pretty fast.

    Pop

Outlook Express Internet Service Providers Microsoft Windows XP