Browser crashes

I have a persistent problem that I'm unable to solve. After browsing the
internet for several minutes (the amount of time varies), my browser crashes.
I don't get an error message, I just a a message that says "alert -
www.google.com (or whatever site I try to go to) could not be found. Please
check the name and try again." The browser won't connect to any new page and
it won't return me to my home page. This happens with Internet Explorer,
Firefox and Opera so I figure it is a Windows problem and not a browser
problem. To get the browser working again, I have to close it and then
re-open it several times or, in some cases, I have to close my internet
connection and dial-up again. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm
also running the free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG anti-virus. I also run
Ad-Aware and Spybot every week. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about browser crashes

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:45:05 -0800, "Mr. Bill22" <Mr.
    Bill22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a persistent problem that I'm unable to solve. After browsing the
    >internet for several minutes (the amount of time varies), my browser crashes.
    > I don't get an error message, I just a a message that says "alert -
    >www.google.com (or whatever site I try to go to) could not be found. Please
    >check the name and try again." The browser won't connect to any new page and
    >it won't return me to my home page. This happens with Internet Explorer,
    >Firefox and Opera so I figure it is a Windows problem and not a browser
    >problem. To get the browser working again, I have to close it and then
    >re-open it several times or, in some cases, I have to close my internet
    >connection and dial-up again. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm
    >also running the free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG anti-virus. I also run
    >Ad-Aware and Spybot every week. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

    Yeah put a timer on how long it takes for you boot up, connect to the web, and
    appearance of the 1st alert.

    Or just check and see if you don't have something in the network connections
    setup to timeout after xx minutes if connection is not used anymore..

    to troubleshoot, run online and disable all programs running 1 by one till you
    get past the xx time limit till you no longer have access.
    Then you'll at least know which program is disconnecting you.
    Or think back to which one you installed or fiddled with last before this
    started happening.

    check for some sort of hotkey in ZA or avg or Adaware that you're sitting there
    turning off.

    I would give you the exact steps, but for some reason when I select the
    advanced tab on the active or inactive profile, it closes and sends off an
    error report to M$.

    It should be accessible offline.

    "Mr. Bill22" <Mr. Bill22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a persistent problem that I'm unable to solve. After browsing the
    > internet for several minutes (the amount of time varies), my browser
    > crashes.
    > I don't get an error message, I just a a message that says "alert -
    > www.google.com (or whatever site I try to go to) could not be found.
    > Please
    > check the name and try again." The browser won't connect to any new page
    > and
    > it won't return me to my home page. This happens with Internet Explorer,
    > Firefox and Opera so I figure it is a Windows problem and not a browser
    > problem. To get the browser working again, I have to close it and then
    > re-open it several times or, in some cases, I have to close my internet
    > connection and dial-up again. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm
    > also running the free versions of Zone Alarm and AVG anti-virus. I also
    > run
    > Ad-Aware and Spybot every week. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

    First eliminate any spyware.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
    you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Browsers Windows XP