Missing Right-click menu on desktop still after regedit

My right-click menu continues to be missing even after regedit is run and the
changes were made as mentioned in a Google newsgroup. I have temporary access
to the right click menu, but if I restart the computer, I lose the
availability of it. I also permanently now have wallpaper witht the subject
of "Danger: Spyware". I am also recieving many pop-ups from www.adslim.com.
I've run numerous anti-virus scans with Norton 2k5, Mccaffe. What are my
other options at solving this?
2 answers Last reply
More about missing right click menu desktop regedit

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:15:02 -0800, KingBoredom wrote:

    > My right-click menu continues to be missing even after regedit is run and the
    > changes were made as mentioned in a Google newsgroup. I have temporary access
    > to the right click menu, but if I restart the computer, I lose the
    > availability of it. I also permanently now have wallpaper witht the subject
    > of "Danger: Spyware". I am also recieving many pop-ups from www.adslim.com.
    > I've run numerous anti-virus scans with Norton 2k5, Mccaffe. What are my
    > other options at solving this?

    You have adware on your system. Go into Display properties. On the Desktop
    page, click Customize Desktop> Web. Uncheck the box for the HTML file
    currently displayed on your desktop. Chances are good this is named
    "security.html." Once disabled, it is safe to delete that file.

    Then check your system for malware intrusions with an anti-spyware program.
    Taurian has given you a nice list of programs to use for that. Also, it
    sure wouldn't hurt to do a full scan for viruses with an antivirus program
    that has current virus definitions installed.

    I suspect your right click menu remains missing (despite the correct
    changes to bring it back) because of resident intrusions that need to be
    cleaned up. Once the system has been cleaned, check on the right click
    status. Repeat the changes to setting if necessary. Since malware should
    not be present that will undo your changes, the settings should stick this
    time around.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&DisplayLang=en
    Microsoft program - previously released by Giant Software.

    Information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
    Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
    the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx
    Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

    Spyware Programs links:-
    www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
    www.security.kolla.de Spybot

    "KingBoredom" <KingBoredom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My right-click menu continues to be missing even after regedit is run and the
    > changes were made as mentioned in a Google newsgroup. I have temporary access
    > to the right click menu, but if I restart the computer, I lose the
    > availability of it. I also permanently now have wallpaper witht the subject
    > of "Danger: Spyware". I am also recieving many pop-ups from www.adslim.com.
    > I've run numerous anti-virus scans with Norton 2k5, Mccaffe. What are my
    > other options at solving this?

Desktops Regedit Windows XP