3 watt signal booster

Just thought I'd pass this along. I bought one of those 3 watt power
boosters due to the signal being very low and dropping calls in this
area of SW Las Vegas. It is awesome. As soon as I pluged it in, i
watched the signal meter on the phone jump up about 3 bars...haven't
had a dropped call yet...

> As soon as I pluged it in, i
> watched the signal meter on the phone jump up about 3 bars...haven't
> had a dropped call yet...

Good deal, but the signal meter is a inaccurate guess of the cell towers
distance and power not your transmit power. Your signal jump to 3 bars is
either the external antenna or a preamp in the booster. The preamp will
amplify signal as well as noise and may cause the cell phone to indicate a
strong signal but not work as well. Try the external antenna with and
without the booster.

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <2d4jd0da5gujn2egqoj9evg4osorpobn7i@4ax.com>,
Southbayman@hotmail.com says...
> Just thought I'd pass this along. I bought one of those 3 watt power
> boosters due to the signal being very low and dropping calls in this
> area of SW Las Vegas. It is awesome. As soon as I pluged it in, i
> watched the signal meter on the phone jump up about 3 bars...haven't
> had a dropped call yet...

Which antenna did you purchase - and from where?

What phone are you using?

See my post above re problem on the west side of Manhattan and you'll
understand why I'm asking

Louise

I'm using this on an LG 4500, the antenna came with the unit..it is a
small piece of plastic with two clear suction cups on it attach to a
window. Who thing came in a black cloth bag. Even came with AC
adaptor....Car or home, works great

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:23:08 -0700, T wrote:

> I'm using this on an LG 4500, the antenna came with the unit..it is a
> small piece of plastic with two clear suction cups on it attach to a
> window. Who thing came in a black cloth bag. Even came with AC
> adaptor....Car or home, works great

Radio Shack sells one that sounds a lot like yours. They have adapter
cables for various brands of cell phones.

I got mind off of Ebay 134.00 amp, dc power cable, antenna, ac
adaptor....Inteligain RF amp Single Band 800 mhz So works for
Verizon, but not for Sprint PCS, or Nextel...
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:32:08 GMT, Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:23:08 -0700, T wrote:
>
>> I'm using this on an LG 4500, the antenna came with the unit..it is a
>> small piece of plastic with two clear suction cups on it attach to a
>> window. Who thing came in a black cloth bag. Even came with AC
>> adaptor....Car or home, works great
>
>Radio Shack sells one that sounds a lot like yours. They have adapter
>cables for various brands of cell phones.

Small correction...

Nextel is also 800MHz, just lower freqs.
Correct on the Sprint (1900MHz)

But, yes an amp has to be 'tuned' to those lower freqs to work on Nextel.