OEM CDs - copy

I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
where they were built/assembled.

What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
branded coputers I assume it would work?

Thanks
miskairal
5 answers Last reply
More about copy

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal wrote:

    > I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
    > ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
    > came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
    > Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
    > where they were built/assembled.
    >
    > What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
    > myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
    > to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
    > XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
    > branded coputers I assume it would work?
    >
    > Thanks
    > miskairal

    Yes, as long as these are standard/generic OEM CDs, this plan should work
    just fine.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    It isn't hard to make a slipstream. Follow the advice here using your SP2 CD
    and your XP OEM disc http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal wrote:
    >

    >>I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
    >>ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
    >>came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
    >>Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
    >>where they were built/assembled.
    >>
    >>What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
    >>myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
    >>to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
    >>XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
    >>branded coputers I assume it would work?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>miskairal
    >

    > Yes, as long as these are standard/generic OEM CDs, this plan should work
    > just fine.

    Yes they both are and that's great news!
    Thnakyou

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    > I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
    > ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
    > came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
    > Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
    > where they were built/assembled.
    >
    > What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
    > myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
    > to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
    > XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
    > branded coputers I assume it would work?

    Here's another possibility - I upgraded my work computer to SP2 over
    the internet... no CD was involved.

    sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
    >> ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
    >> came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
    >> Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
    >> where they were built/assembled.
    >>
    >> What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
    >> myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
    >> to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
    >> XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
    >> branded coputers I assume it would work?
    >>

    > Here's another possibility - I upgraded my work computer to SP2 over
    > the internet... no CD was involved.
    And you would be on broadband I presume?
    Hmm, no ADSL or Cable here and satellite is out of my price range :(

Windows XP Microsoft OEM CD-Rom Product