OEM CDs - copy

April 2, 2005 10:00:26 PM

I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
where they were built/assembled.

What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
branded coputers I assume it would work?

Thanks
miskairal

More about : oem cds copy

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:00:27 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal wrote:

> I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
> ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
> came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
> Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
> where they were built/assembled.
>
> What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
> myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
> to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
> XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
> branded coputers I assume it would work?
>
> Thanks
> miskairal

Yes, as long as these are standard/generic OEM CDs, this plan should work
just fine.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

It isn't hard to make a slipstream. Follow the advice here using your SP2 CD
and your XP OEM disc http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"miskairal" <mehiding@invalid.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up ready
>to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc came
>with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM. Neither
>are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop where they were
>built/assembled.
>
> What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
> myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how to
> make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall XP? I
> would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not branded
> coputers I assume it would work?
>
> Thanks
> miskairal
April 3, 2005 11:32:25 AM

Sharon F wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal wrote:
>

>>I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
>>ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
>>came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
>>Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
>>where they were built/assembled.
>>
>>What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
>>myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
>>to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
>>XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
>>branded coputers I assume it would work?
>>
>>Thanks
>>miskairal
>

> Yes, as long as these are standard/generic OEM CDs, this plan should work
> just fine.

Yes they both are and that's great news!
Thnakyou
April 3, 2005 4:08:14 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com>
wrote:

> I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
> ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
> came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
> Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
> where they were built/assembled.
>
> What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
> myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
> to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
> XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
> branded coputers I assume it would work?

Here's another possibility - I upgraded my work computer to SP2 over
the internet... no CD was involved.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:06:36 PM

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:00:26 +1000, miskairal <mehiding@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I have just bought a new computer for my nieces and am setting it up
>> ready to give them (teenagers - spybot, adaware etc). My 18 month old pc
>> came with an OEM version of XP sp1 . The new pc has XP sp2, also OEM.
>> Neither are brand name computers and were bought from the same shop
>> where they were built/assembled.
>>
>> What I'm wondering is, can I make a copy of the new sp2 CD to use for
>> myself (I have sp2 on CD from microsoft) rather than have to learn how
>> to make a "slipstream" cd or use both the CDs when I want to reinstall
>> XP? I would be using my own serial number and both being OEM and not
>> branded coputers I assume it would work?
>>

> Here's another possibility - I upgraded my work computer to SP2 over
> the internet... no CD was involved.
And you would be on broadband I presume?
Hmm, no ADSL or Cable here and satellite is out of my price range :(
!