troubled computer HELP PLEASE

How do i get rid of porn sites that were done on computer?

How to redo XP Home Edition without harming my computer?
Free downloads of XP Editions?

How to stop my computer from freezing?

How to get internet through other users on my computer?
It wont let other users use the internet but the administrator

How do i stop the other users on my computer from getting into porn sites?

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

See responses following your questions.
"LOTS A LOVE" <LOTS A LOVE@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
>Q: How do i get rid of porn sites that were done on computer?

A: Your computer's browser is being redirected to porn sites by a browser
hijacker...
to get rid of it, install spyware tools like Adaware SE Personal,
Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, SpywareBlaster, to name a few,
infact these are the most recommended by Microsoft Most Valuable
Professionals and they are all freeware.
http://www.majorgeeks.com look in the left for Spyware Tools.

> > Q: How to redo XP Home Edition without harming my computer?
> Free downloads of XP Editions?

A: Do you mean Windows Updates?..
yes Updating your system is the most important thing you can do for your
computer. Configure it to auto update in Control Panel\System\Automatic
Updates.
Windows XP has a utility to restore the system to a date when things
were functioning all right... If your computer has saved a restore point
back to a date before problems started, you're in luck... click
start\programs\
accesories\system tools\system restore, as the utility opens, click on next,
select a date from the calendar, click next and follow the instructions.

> Q: How to stop my computer from freezing?

A: Freezing can be caused by damaged devices... if there's one you
suspect of, disconnect it and take note of the results. If that does not
correct the problem, disconnect the next one and so on untill you are
left with just the keyboard and mouse and monitor. another posibility,
for freezing is system related, most often the Windows Explorer is the
cause and a message box should indicate it. If no message box
appears, then the cause is most likely a malfunctioning haradware device.

>Q: How to get internet through other users on my computer?
> It wont let other users use the internet but the administrator

A: I'm guessing you have the Home Edition, right?...
Start your computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 repeatedly
at the first logo screen go to C:\program files\Internet Explorer folder
properties\security\add or assign permissions to the users group
by checking permissions to the necessary level.

> Q: How do i stop the other users on my computer from getting into porn
sites?

A: Spybot Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster should prevent
your browser from getting into porn sites plus there's the Content Advisor
in Control Panel\Internet Options\Content\configuration\select each
cathegory and slide the gauge to the right for each one. Your settings can
be protected with a password.
settings with a password

I hope this helps.

Hi,

> How do i get rid of porn sites that were done on computer?

Remove ad and spy programs, and generally clean up the system with these:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
place:
Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

> How to redo XP Home Edition without harming my computer?

Repair installation, but only if the problem is actually Windows. If the
problem is with some software that is installed, then repairing will not be
of much use. Directions here:

> Free downloads of XP Editions?

No such thing outside of a MSDN subscription. You must purchase a disk.

> How to stop my computer from freezing?

See what happens after you do the cleanups listed in response to your first
question. If you are still having trouble, it may be hardware related.

> How to get internet through other users on my computer?

Setup the connection while logged on as them.

> It wont let other users use the internet but the administrator

Usually because they lack sufficient privileges. How you correct it depends
on the type of connection you have and how it is being created. If you are
using an ISP's software, then refer back to the previous question.

> How do i stop the other users on my computer from getting into porn sites?

Take away their computer privileges. Personally, I use a router with keyword
blocking, but no system is perfect. If I catch them (and I inevitably do)
visiting sites they shouldn't be, I block their mac address (they have their
own machine) for a week. I use the week to educate them (as in talking to
them, not lecturing them) about whatever it was they were curious about.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> [...]