XP MFT defrag

Hi,
A friends XP HOme PC has slowed down to an absolute crawl. He has not
defragged it for over a year until now. Unfortunately the defrag didn't
make much difference because the MFT is showing 397 fragments!

Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?

IanF
4 answers Last reply
More about defrag

    "Birolet" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > A friends XP HOme PC has slowed down to an absolute crawl. He has not
    > defragged it for over a year until now. Unfortunately the defrag didn't
    > make much difference because the MFT is showing 397 fragments!
    >
    > Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?
    >
    > IanF

    I use Executive Software Diskeeper as Mike suggested works great,You also
    might check out "page defrag" freeware from the kind people at system
    internals.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

    "Birolet" <bimbo_t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > A friends XP HOme PC has slowed down to an absolute crawl. He has not
    > defragged it for over a year until now. Unfortunately the defrag didn't
    > make much difference because the MFT is showing 397 fragments!
    >
    > Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?
    >
    > IanF

    Purchase a third party defrag tool such as Executive Software Diskeeper
    (others are available) which ca defrag the MFT, or backup all date etc and
    reformat the drive and restore.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
    > "Birolet" <bimbo_t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>A friends XP HOme PC has slowed down to an absolute crawl. He has not
    >>defragged it for over a year until now. Unfortunately the defrag didn't
    >>make much difference because the MFT is showing 397 fragments!
    >>
    >>Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?
    >>
    >>IanF
    >

    > Purchase a third party defrag tool such as Executive Software Diskeeper
    > (others are available) which ca defrag the MFT, or backup all date etc and
    > reformat the drive and restore.

    Thanks Mike, I'll pass that on - from a distance!

    IanF

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:17:28 +0100, Birolet wrote:

    > Hi,
    > A friends XP HOme PC has slowed down to an absolute crawl. He has not
    > defragged it for over a year until now. Unfortunately the defrag didn't
    > make much difference because the MFT is showing 397 fragments!
    >
    > Can anyone advise how to deal with this please?
    >
    > IanF

    In addition to other advice, they might want to run chkdsk as well. This
    act will cleanup leftover security descriptors from files that are no
    longer accurate.

    Suggest using Disk properties> Tools> Error Checking: check both boxes.
    Click OK. A notice will appear stating that the task cannot be done at this
    time and should it be done at the next restart. Say Yes. Restart when
    convenient to let the tool do its work.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User