How do I get Win98 style "find files or folders" in Window..

What do I need to do to get the Win98 style search in Windows Explorer?
I really don't want all the files which contain my search string,
unless I use wide-card characters. I've added the parameters

/n,/e,C:\

to the "target" in the short-cut, which (so far) seems to keep it from
calling itself "Internet Explorer" (in the title bar), and opens on my C
disk, but what else should I add to get the search I know and love?

Cyril N. Alberga
10 answers Last reply
More about win98 style find files folders window

    Go here...

    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to...
    49. Old Style Search Engine On or Off
    Click on On

    How to Change the Internet Search Behavior of Your Browser in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303210

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:um4rL07NFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Cyril N. Alberga <calberga@bellatlantic.net> hunted and pecked:
    > What do I need to do to get the Win98 style search in Windows
    > Explorer? I really don't want all the files which contain my search
    > string, unless I use wide-card characters. I've added the parameters
    >
    > /n,/e,C:\
    >
    > to the "target" in the short-cut, which (so far) seems to keep it from
    > calling itself "Internet Explorer" (in the title bar), and opens on
    > my C disk, but what else should I add to get the search I know and
    > love?
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga

    The first pointer took me to something to do with outlook express, which
    I don't use, and the second seems to have something to do with Internet
    Explorer, which I also don't use.

    I'm asking about Windows Explorer, the program which lets you walk the
    directory structure tree on disk drives, floppys, CD-ROMs, etc. The XP
    version has a "Search" button tool-bar which brings up a brain-damaged
    search tool. What I want is the search tool which you get on Win98 when
    you select "Tools/Find/Files or Folders" from the menu-bar.

    Cyril N. Alberga

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > Go here...
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top
    > Scroll down to...
    > 49. Old Style Search Engine On or Off
    > Click on On
    >
    > How to Change the Internet Search Behavior of Your Browser in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303210

    Click the link to download. Double click the OldSearchOn.reg file and
    answer YES.

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/OldSearchOn.reg

    After download double click the OldSearchOn.reg file and answer YES.

    Or open the Registry Editor and ...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cab
    inetState
    Use Search Asst
    REG_SZ
    no

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u9bvbT9NFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Cyril N. Alberga <calberga@bellatlantic.net> hunted and pecked:
    > The first pointer took me to something to do with outlook express,
    > which I don't use, and the second seems to have something to do with
    > Internet Explorer, which I also don't use.
    >
    > I'm asking about Windows Explorer, the program which lets you walk the
    > directory structure tree on disk drives, floppys, CD-ROMs, etc. The
    > XP version has a "Search" button tool-bar which brings up a
    > brain-damaged search tool. What I want is the search tool which you
    > get on Win98 when you select "Tools/Find/Files or Folders" from the
    > menu-bar.
    >
    > Cyril N. Alberga
    >
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> Go here...
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top
    >> Scroll down to...
    >> 49. Old Style Search Engine On or Off
    >> Click on On
    >>
    >> How to Change the Internet Search Behavior of Your Browser in
    >> Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303210

    Wesley

    Tweak # 368 gives instructions on how to get rid of these newfangled 'four
    on the floor' changes and substitute a good old column shift.. good stuff,
    eh.. :)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Wesley
    >
    > Tweak # 368 gives instructions on how to get rid of these newfangled 'four
    > on the floor' changes and substitute a good old column shift.. good stuff,
    > eh.. :)

    ???? When I go to the web-site, I only see 367 items in the list -- Am I
    in the wrong universe ?????

    Thanks, I'll try it.

    Cyril

    Wesley Vogel wrote:

    > Click the link to download. Double click the OldSearchOn.reg file and
    > answer YES.
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/OldSearchOn.reg
    >
    > After download double click the OldSearchOn.reg file and answer YES.
    >
    > Or open the Registry Editor and ...
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cab
    > inetState
    > Use Search Asst
    > REG_SZ
    > no

    Cyril

    It was a joke..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > Cyril
    >
    > It was a joke..

    Sorry, I though it was a metaphor.

    Mike,

    That one went over my head so low that I don't need to get a haircut
    on Monday. ;-)

    Unless you really do like the little dog?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307851

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307980

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23rkMIc9NFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley
    >
    > Tweak # 368 gives instructions on how to get rid of these newfangled
    > 'four on the floor' changes and substitute a good old column shift..
    > good stuff, eh.. :)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    >> Go here...
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top
    >> Scroll down to...
    >> 49. Old Style Search Engine On or Off
    >> Click on On
    >>
    >> How to Change the Internet Search Behavior of Your Browser in
    >> Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303210
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:um4rL07NFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Cyril N. Alberga <calberga@bellatlantic.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> What do I need to do to get the Win98 style search in Windows
    >>> Explorer? I really don't want all the files which contain my
    >>> search string, unless I use wide-card characters. I've added the
    >>> parameters
    >>>
    >>> /n,/e,C:\
    >>>
    >>> to the "target" in the short-cut, which (so far) seems to keep it
    >>> from calling itself "Internet Explorer" (in the title bar), and
    >>> opens on my C disk, but what else should I add to get the search I
    >>> know and love?
    >>>
    >>> Cyril N. Alberga

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:03:57 -0500, "Cyril N. Alberga"
    <calberga@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    > > Cyril
    > >
    > > It was a joke..
    > >

    > Sorry, I though it was a metaphor.

    I bought it hook, line and sinker.

    :p

    We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our
    election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude"

    If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our
    drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements,
    for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no time to think, no means of
    calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by
    hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers.
    And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle
    in one instance becomes a precedent for another till the bulk of society is
    reduced to be mere automatons of misery.

    And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows
    that and in its train wretchedness and oppression.

    Thomas Jefferson,
    Author of The Declaration of Independence, Founding Father and Third U.S. President

Style Windows XP